JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Confusing to beginners: "JP1 - Code Search" vs &qu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Confusing to beginners: "JP1 - Code Search" vs &qu Reply with quote

*I* understand the difference, based on the descriptions, between "JP1 - Code Search" and "Code Search", but I think it would be *real* confusing for a beginner who doesn't yet have his/her mind around JP1 yet.

I.e. How would a beginner decide where this question would go: "How do I control my Mintek 1600 with my JP1 remote?"

Already, the FAQ-type post from Mark(?) was posted to both. You may want to consider get rid of one of these forums to reduce confusion (assuming you agree that there is confusion or could be confusion).

Regards,

Greg
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the JP1 world, there are very few cases where a "code search" post is really valid. The valid cases are when (a) you don't have a learning JP1 remote and (b) you no longer have the original remote to learn from.

Back in the Yahoo days, we would get TONS of posts from people with JP1 learning remotes who were just too lazy to bother doing the learning themselves, so the main idea behind the "JP1 - Code Search" forum was to have a place to re-locate those posts so they didn't clutter up the main JP1 forums.

For non-JP1 users, "Code Search" posts are much mroe valid, but even then, it was still a good idea to seperate them from regular posts. I know that when I'm browsing the forums over at Remote Central, I skip over all the code search posts.

Bottom line is this, it really doesn't matter which forum you post it in, and if the concensious is that it's confusing, I can combine them into one forum.

Rob
GMan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will certainly let you decide what the consensus is (and how to determine what the consensus is) Wink. I just wanted to let you know that I thought there was *potential* confusion.

The type of code search that I think could occur is for discrete codes, which are very rarely found on the OEM remotes. Although I have to say that the few that I've needed and thought that I had found on remotecentral in the Pronto/hex files area did not actually work on my TOAD devices. It would be nice to have an area like the remotecentral discrete codes area, but that included actual device model numbers (right now, the few I've found are listed by brand and type: i.e. "Infocus Projector" which incidently didn't work on my Infocus X1 projector).

What I'm thinking is something just like the remotecentral files area with the added ability for each discrete code to click on "confirm works" or "confirm doesn't work" for any specific model number. This would require maintaining a list of model numbers for each brand and generic device (or allow users to add device model numbers on the fly and allow users to select previously entered model numbers).

I know these forums are a lot of work for you, The RobMan, and all the volunteer moderators. I appreciate the time and effort that you all spend on lighting the JP1 torch and keeping it alive.

Thank you!

Regards,

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: