JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wanted: someone to re-program my ReplayTV remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jefflash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Wanted: someone to re-program my ReplayTV remote Reply with quote

I have a relatively new Showstopper ReplayTV remote that is not working. I tried to change the codes (using Code Set, not JP1) to get it to control my audio receiver and ended up breaking it so it won't control the ReplayTV. The remote is JP1 capiable, but I don't have a JP1 cable and don't really feel like getting one to program it myself.

My laziness, however, could be your gain, and I'm willing to pay someone to fix it.

Here's the deal
- I send you my remote.
- You do whatever you need to do to get it to control my ReplayTV (Showstopper 2000) again. Bonus points if you can get it to control the volume on my receiver (JVC RX-778V) while it is in "Replay mode."
- You send me back my remote.
- I pay you.

Keep in mind that this should probably only take a few minutes (for someone who knows what they're doing) to fix, and for $20 or so, I can buy a new remote on eBay.

So, if you're interested, email me at jeff (at) jefflash.com and let me know how much you'd charge. I'm in St. Louis, MO, so if there's anyone nearby who can fix it without me having to send it anywhere, that would be ideal.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted: someone to re-program my ReplayTV remote Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,
Any of us could do your project for free with our eyes closed and it would take us less than 5 minutes. I remember thinking this JP1 stuff seemed very formidable before I tried it, but it isn't. The experts in this forum have created tools that do all the work for you. Your project is very very easy, and you really should try it for yourself and I bet you would have a good time while you are doing it. It is not rocket science. Once it is done you will have a nice feeling of accomplishment too.
jefflash wrote:
My laziness, however, could be your gain, and I'm willing to pay someone to fix it.
I don't think you are lazy. You spent the time and effort to find this forum. I think you are afraid that if you order the JP1 cable and download the (free) tools that they will be too complex for you, which is just not true.
jefflash wrote:
Bonus points if you can get it to control the volume on my receiver (JVC RX-778V)
This would be easier for you to do as you have the original remote control for the JVC. If you were to get a OFA 8810w universal learning remote from walmart (it is a remarkable remote and costs under $20!) you could learn the signal right off the original remote.

Both Rob and I are ReplayTV fans. (I think everyone else here owns a TiVo Sad ) I cannot speak for Rob, but I think that even after you fix the original replay remote, that you will find that the 8810w remote is just all around a better remote and it will become your favorite. About 2 years ago my original replay remote broke, and I bought a new one from Ebay, because I had adapted my fingers to the layout and did not want to learn a new layout on a universal remote, and I did not know anything about universal remotes and did not know which one to buy. After I discovered JP1 I found that I was much happier with a universal remote than with the original replay remote. For example, at least once a week I would hit the useless "zones" button and wind up waiting 10 seconds for the zones to come up so that I could exit it. On the original remote the zones button is next to the guide button and in the dark I would hit the wrong button on the original remote. On the universal remote, I used the JP1 tools to put the zones button on the shift-info button, so I could never hit it by mistake. (In fact I put all the functions on buttons I thought made better sense.) But in addition, the universal remote has a backlight, so I can see buttons in the dark if I want. If I ever want zones, such as to do a 2-4-3-zones trick, I can get to it by pressing the shift button first. Another nice trick is I can press one button to turn on everything, and another to turn off everything. I could go on about how nicely I laid out the controls on the universal remote, or that the remote also controls the VCR, DVD, emerson universal switch box, cable tv box, fan on my ceiling, etc., or perhaps the fact that if I lose or destroy my universal remote, I have the image in my computer so after I get a replacement remote I can just burn the image to the new remote and I am up and running.. there are so many good reasons to do JP1, which is why so many people do it. Suppose you get new equipment next year, and need the volume buttons changed again? Suppose the replay remote stops working again? Instead of having to find someone to do it you just connect the remote to the JP1 cable, press a few keys and you are done. And this stuff is fun Razz
JP1Files
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted: someone to re-program my ReplayTV remote Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
(I think everyone else here owns a TiVo Sad )

No TiVo clowns at my house. 8)
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
WooHoo! That makes three of us! Too Cool! Thank You! 8)
JP1Files
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my ReplayTV!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP1 group was started by ReplayTV users (namely myself and Mark pauker among others)
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: TESTIMONIAL Reply with quote

Filebug wrote:
I love my ReplayTV!
Then I'm extra glad I gave you my business when I bought my ultra JP1 cable from you Tom! Even if you did lose the order in the wrong folder for 2 weeks Razz (Actually, it was worth the wait. This cable is VERY well constructed out of what appear to be the highest quality parts - as compared to my regular JP1 cable that did not work 25% of the time and was purchased from another vendor that will go unnamed as he advertises on this site and I don't want to piss him off.)
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and that puts us at the fine total of five (count em! you only need one hand!) replaytv enthusiasts over here! 8)
JP1Files
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make that six Replay enthusiasts Smile What's this Tivo thing people keep talking about.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday, we'll probably join the revolution, and bring ourselves into the 21st century... for now, we still watch normal TV! Shocked
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you actually find something worth watching?

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the kids think the only 2 channels are Disney and Nickelodeon, the Mrs. is too cheap to let me buy a PVR, and I usually watch TV with my eyes closed! So, to answer your question... no! Wink
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Someday, we'll probably join the revolution, and bring ourselves into the 21st century... for now, we still watch normal TV! Shocked
Maybe the six of us can convince you to take the plunge! My advice is to buy one with the smallest hard drive possible. Then, you buy the largest hard drive your unit can take (or two hard drives even) from www.newegg.com or www.zipzoomfly.com or wherever you shop, and format them (a few years ago I did this using a source forge program designed for copying the info from the small drive in the unit to your larger drive) and install them. Also while you are in there, add a few fans. Or you can just go to a web site (I think www.replaytvplus.com or something like that) and buy a unit that they did all this to. If you buy from replaytv the largest capacity unit, they rip you off on the hard drive (at least they used to). Also they sell these upgraded replaytv units on ebay. I have only used the 3000 series, which I am blissfully ignorantly happy with. I think they are up to series 5000 or 6000, which let you send recorded programs over the internet to other replaytv units or to computers running a program that makes the replaytv's think that those computers are other replaytvs (then you can burn the recorded programs to cd/dvd/svd/vd, etc. wait, VD is not a format but that reminds me I need to call the free medical clinic Wink
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Maybe the six of us can convince you to take the plunge!

Rob's done a pretty good job of that already. However, it's not me, but you-know-who, that needs to be convinced! Rolling Eyes
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarboni wrote:
Make that six Replay enthusiasts Smile What's this Tivo thing people keep talking about.
Well, you see, it's sorta like a ReplayTV, only different (I've always wanted to say it that way around!)... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: