JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1k or 2k ofa upgrade & RF puck part number ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xwz38

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: 1k or 2k ofa upgrade & RF puck part number ? Reply with quote

First I'll like to thank Rob, Johnsfine and et al for their help and hard work. I started using OTA HDTV earlier this year and was going to retire my 3 RCU810 remotes until I came across an eBay auction that mentioned JP1. Now my RCU810's are doing everything I want and more. I even sold my $199 Harmony 676 Smile .

Now my questions :
1. I am about to buy a URC6011 that was factory upgraded about 2 years ago. How do I tell if it has a 1k or 2k eeprom without opening the case ? These smaller remotes are much harder to open than large ones like RCU810.
2. Where can I buy a RF puck without salvaging it from another IR/RF remote ? I want to add RF function to a URC8910 to RF. I need part number, an picture of the RF puck, and pinout diagram.
I have several X10 remotes and RF modules (to turn lights and appliances on/off) . Can I use the RF pucks in them ?
I need some pointers to get started in the right direction. I will post the results of my work to benefit everybody.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think IR.exe can normally auto determine the eeprom size and select the right rdf when it downloads from the remote.

The rdf for the 1k has "1k" in its name, which will appear in IR.exe's title bar once that rdf is selected (but the 2k version has no size in its name).

In obscure cases, IR.exe might not select the right rdf. If you think IR.exe might be wrong and you want to get the remote's own opinion of the eeprom size, you would do a full (981) reset on the remote itself, then download to IR.exe and open the raw data and look in the row marked 0020 and the column marked 03. There will be a 13 there is the remote thinks it has a 1K eeprom and a 14 if it thinks it has a 2k.

Also, I'm not certain but I think you can tell without IR.exe by attempting to do a learn after a 981 reset. A 6011 can't learn, but a 6011 with a 2K eeprom thinks it can lean, so you will get all the way to the rapid blink step when trying to learn. A 6011 without an eeprom knows it can't learn, so it will error out of learn attempts before reaching the rapid blink. I THINK a 6011 with a 1K eeprom also knows it can't learn.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1k or 2k ofa upgrade & RF puck part number ? Reply with quote

xwz38 wrote:
1. How do I tell if it has a 1k or 2k eeprom without opening the case ?

In addition to what John said, you can also go to the Raw Data tab, if the address of the last line is 0x3F0 you have a 1k chip and if it's 0x7F0 you have a 2k chip.
xwz38 wrote:
These smaller remotes are much harder to open than large ones like RCU810.

I'm opening URC-6131 remotes all the time and I think it's one of the easiest remotes to open, it takes me about 5 seconds per remote. Now, if you want to know about a difficult remote to open, try the URC-6131n! It takes me between 1 and 2 minutes to open one of those, and I'm supposedly an expert!
xwz38 wrote:
2. Where can I buy a RF puck without salvaging it from another IR/RF remote ? I want to add RF function to a URC8910 to RF. I need part number, an picture of the RF puck, and pinout diagram.

The puck isn't a "part", it's a small PCB with several parts soldered onto it, so you won't be able to buy a "puck", you would have to either salvage one or make one yourself. (I suggest the former).

xwz38 wrote:
I have several X10 remotes and RF modules (to turn lights and appliances on/off) . Can I use the RF pucks in them ?

The X10 RF and UEI RF signals work on different frequencies, so they are not compatible with each other. If this is why you wanted the puck, it won't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: