JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

jp1 to pronto hex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simonsezdothis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: jp1 to pronto hex Reply with quote

Hi.
I've been doing a lot of reading here as I have just purchased a URC-8910B02 - so it says on the back.

I built a simple interface cable which I couldn't get to work, so I bought a USB cable kit (which I haven't put together yet) I was hoping this would be easier to get working.

Can someone point me to lists (and definitions of) setup codes, device codes, function codes, - so I can try to understand how all that works.
I'm not a techo person, but I have used IR software products in the past as an A/V installer, but I've only recently come across the JP1 interface.
I'm familiar with Xantech IR .pal files and AMX .irl files. Using IRlite.exe I can see how to convert an .irl file into a pronto hex format which I can use with a number of other programs.

If I can talk to my URC-8910, will I be able to generate pronto hex codes from any uploaded information?
Does anyone know about converting Xantech .pal files to pronto hex?
(I already have some learned codes in that format)

Hope someone can help. The most useful thing for me would be the ability to learn and store IR codes on my PC and generate codes in pronto hex format from them. Bearing in mind I'm on a limited budget for all this, will the JP1 be the tool for me?
Is there also a simple device I can use to send these codes directly from my PC?

cheers
Simon
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you take a step back and tell us what you're ultimately trying to do rather than how you're trying to do it. For example, you mention wanting to have the ability to create Pronto hex, why? Do you actually have a Pronto? If so, then you always have the option of learning whatever signals you create using your JP1 remote into the Pronto. If not, there are a couple of tools available that will convert the kind of codes we use here into Pronto hex. The main one is called MakeHex but there's also a new kid on the block (still in beta development)...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5444

To understand how JP1 works, read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you already have an 8910, and assuming you can get the cable to work, that's a decent method to capture IR signals and decode them (then as Rob said, use MakeHex.exe or MakeLearned.jar to reencode as clean Pronto Hex, assuming that is what you really want).

The simple interface works for almost all of us. Maybe you should do a more careful review of what you did in building and testing that to see what the error might have been.

For a general method to capture and decode IR signals, I much prefer the hardware and software of the CaptureIR program. (But if your printer port is a problem for IR.exe, it is even more likely to be a problem for captureIR).
simonsezdothis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and apologies for taking a while to get back to you. I'm flat out at the moment and away from my computer for periods.

Now ... why?
I'm trying to organise myself a PC based IR capture/storage system. As I said I have sometimes worked with both AMX and Xantech software, both of which allow you to import codes but only in Pronto Hex format.
Their "official" capture systems are way out of my budget.

No, I don't own a Pronto myself.

Most of my involvement with these programs has been realted to the graphic interface of touchpanels, but I'm curious to know a bit more about the IR codes behind the buttons too.

Thanks for the basic JP1 help info too, I had browsed through it some time ago but it's starting to make more sense.

Thanks for your help so far guys.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: