JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Onkyo TR530 (HT-S780)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scifan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... so that's whacked...

Using RM 1.38 returns different hex codes... (Same source file, same configuration change) returns the following.

Code:

Upgrade code 0 = b4 6f (Amp/1135) Onkyo HT-R500 RCVR (RM v1.38)
 b6 00 f0 02 f9 b4 49 a6 49 0f 49 8f 49 4f c9 ce
 49 9d 49 ef 49 6f 49 65 49 a5 49 bf 49 3f 49 5f
 49 ff 49 7f 49 df c9 8d 49 dd c9 67 c9 e7 c9 94
 c9 4d
KeyMoves
 84 f4 b4 6f 49 5e«right arrow»¦
 85 f4 b4 6f 49 de«left arrow»¦
 88 f4 b4 6f 49 16«select»¦
 86 f4 b4 6f 49 be«up arrow»¦
 87 f4 b4 6f 49 3e«down arrow»¦
 14 f4 b4 6f c9 35«menu»
End

I actually think I'll test this tomorrow night since I'd probably lose track of time if i were to start putzing with this tonite and I really should get to bed... but I'll try uploading these updates to my remote and see how it works tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing out that I was using an ancient version of Remote Master...

What would be cool for a future verison of remote master... Wonder if it would be worth the effort to have a verison of RM that would "rename functions" so that they map as you want without having to do a large number of key moves...
sfhub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loaded the file you indicated above into KM. Changed the remote type from RS 15-2104 to URC 8910.

The protocol section of KM was populated. I'm surprised it wasn't present when you tried it.

If I switch the protocol from "NEC1 Combo" to "NEC1 Combo (Official)", the protocol upgrade goes away, which matches what everyone has been saying.

When I created my upgrade for the Onkyo TX-SR702 I found it used 4 combinations
dev sub proto
210 109 NEC1
210 109 NEC2
210 108 NEC1
210 108 NEC2

I chose to use the "NEC 2DEV Combo" protocol as it is built in to my 15-2117 remote and it lets me mix an match all 4 combinations.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scifan wrote:
Wonder if it would be worth the effort to have a verison of RM that would "rename functions" so that they map as you want without having to do a large number of key moves...

I have no idea what you could mean by "rename functions".

The number of keymoves required is determined by which buttons you've mapped and which device type you gave to the upgrade.

You might be able to reduce KeyMoves by selecting a different device type. But there are some subtle consequences to using the "wrong" device type, so RM certainly should not make that decision for you.

We are working within limits built into the firmware of the remote. What may seem to you like arbitrary limits in RM are really the result of RM understanding the firmware limits.

If you mean something more by "rename functions", please explain.
scifan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that I had was stemming from the fact that it APPEARED that the function names had some bearing on how the function codes/(EFC) was being mapped to key's on the remote by default (without mapping key's).

I've noticed that the function named "1" doesn't have an associated key move to "1", etc.

My logic may not make sense... it was one of those "short cut" ideas that probably doesn't make sense to anyone else, nor would it be very feasible as you'd have to create some sort of table (for saves) that would remember the "real" function name...

I'm not sure if that made sense in the end... sometimes I find that my vocabulary and definitions differ from others... Smile
Anyway thanks for the response.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scifan wrote:
sometimes I find that my vocabulary and definitions differ from others... Smile
It appears to me that this is precisely the case, and it doesn't help those trying to help you by your NOT following the accepted conventions on terminology (although I realize that sometimes it takes a while to LEARN said terminology).

You seem to be confusing "keymoves" with an inability by RM or KM to AUTOMATICALLY map functions to buttons. The name of the function is immaterial to determining whether a keymove is created or not.

Indeed, some of the tools (KM/RM) have "nice-to-have" features that will automatically map a particular function to a particular button IF THEIR NAMES HAPPEN TO MATCH. You have ot map the remaining func tions to buttons manually - but this process has nothing to do with the generation of keymoves. Regardless of how a particular function got mapped to a particular button, automatically or manually, a keymove will be generated IF THAT BUTTON IS NOT IN THE KEYMAP for the device type you selected.

You seem to be asking for an even more advanced "nice-to-have" feature, in which random functions would be somehow identified and mapped to buttons. This is unreasonable, as nobody could ever write a program that would be able to guess how YOU prefer to map those functions as opposed to the next guy.

What you have not answered in this thread, however, is whether or not you have attempted this upgrade using the NEC1 Combo (Official) protocol yet (with a recent version of RM).

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
scifan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, sorry...

yes I did try it and it didn't work.
wl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Some of those combo upgrades still use the old home-grown NEC combo protocol, you should change that to the "NEC1 Combo (Official)" in order to do away with needing to copy over the protocol upgrade.

Thanks for the tip, saved me some room under Upgrade. I have 2 more devices that have combo upgrades with protocol upgrades, one is TiVo (Advanced) with protocol 0041, and the other is Sony Combo (12/15/20) with protocol 0127. Do you know if there are built-in combo devices for these two, so that I could unload the protocol upgrades? I’m using a 15-2117 with Extender 2. Thanks.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2117 has the TiVo (Official 2-byte) protocol built-in. Using that instead of TiVo (Advanced) will mean you won't have to install a protocol upgrade, but the device upgrade will be bigger (commands are 2 bytes instead of 1). You'll have to try it both ways to see which combination uses less memory.

The Sony 12/15 is built-in on the 15-2117, so if you can use that instead of Sony 12/15/20 Combo that'll save some room as well. Don't know if you are actually using the 20 part of the 12/15/20 combo.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
The Sony 12/15 is built-in on the 15-2117, so if you can use that instead of Sony 12/15/20 Combo that'll save some room as well. Don't know if you are actually using the 20 part of the 12/15/20 combo.

Also, the standard Sony protocol only allows you to mix 2 device codes, so if you have more than 2 device codes in your upgrade, you should probably stick with the combo protocol.
wl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
The 15-2117 has the TiVo (Official 2-byte) protocol built-in. Using that instead of TiVo (Advanced) will mean you won't have to install a protocol upgrade, but the device upgrade will be bigger (commands are 2 bytes instead of 1). You'll have to try it both ways to see which combination uses less memory.

Tried TiVo (Official 2-byte), and it saved me 20 bytes. Thanks.

I’m only using the 12 and 20, none of the 15 on the Sony Combo. Now I see that the 15-2117 has a Sony Combo (12/20) built-in, so I will try that.
wl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:

After I switched from TiVo (Advanced) to TiVo (Official 2-byte), under the Protocol section of KM, I have the below, is this normal?
Normally there’s nothing in the Protocol section when using a built-in device.

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 01 11 (S3C8+) TiVo (Official 2-byte) (KM v8.35)
Code cannot be calculated...
End
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: