JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trouble with JP1 interface

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcasari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Trouble with JP1 interface Reply with quote

Hi...

I'm trying to program my Atlas 5 DVR remote (for a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD Cable box/DVR) so I made the simple interface cable (parallel). I've downloaded the latest IR.exe and get the following results when I test the interface:

interface cable and remote hooked up: No response from interface
(but I do get the CBL button to blink twice on the remote every time the test is run)

Interface cable, no remote: No response from interface

I then put a jumper on my parallel port between pins 2 and 11: No reponse from Remote

I then reveresed the diode (just in case) and tried again: No response from interface

I even tried a different diode with the same results.

I also changed my bios for the parallel port from bi-directional to EPP with no change in my results above.

Based on the above I would assume I'm talking to the parallel port (since the jumper gave me the different result, plus the blinking light on the remote). I can't figure out why my cable does not work. I've checked it with the plans about 20 times....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jorge
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you stick with the configuration that gave you "No Response from Remote", and try downloading from the remote using the standard variation of batteries: Fresh batteries, weak batteries (reverse one battery to simulate "weakness"), no batteries, and see if any of these helps you gain connectivity.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
jcasari

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but that won't work since that particular configuration is a jumper between two pins on the parallel port (for troubleshooting purposes only) and does not allow a remote to be connected. I have found no configuration that tells me "No response from Remote" that involves using the interface cable.

BTW, I'm using Windows XP Pro on a IBM T42 laptop if that makes any difference.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try what the Cap'n said about the batteries, but with configuration 1 (remote and interface cable hooked up). Sometimes the batteries need to be at a certain level to operate properly. This could be 0 (batteries out), weak (reverse one battery), or full.
Jim
jcasari

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it with both batteries, no batteries and one battery reversed and always get the "No reponse from interface" error message.

If I understand all this correctly, the check interface function only checks the connection between pins 2 and 11, thus when I put a jumper there it thinks the interface is ok and thus gives me the no "response from remote" error. Is this correct? If so, placing a diode between pins 2 and 11 should accomplish the same thing, right? In my case this does not seem to work (although I have not done that directly but via my interface cable).

I must be overlooking something as based on everything I've read the results I'm gettting does not make sense. What's the recommended next step?

Thanks,
Jorge
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A silly question. Have you tried downloading from the remote? Or are you only running this interface check, trying to get IT to pass? The two blinks to which you refer at the top of this thread seem to indicate SOME communication is going on. You may be able to up/download even without a successful "interface check."

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you build the cable, or order it? If you built it, check all of your solder connections again. Also make sure there are no shorts.
What operating system are you using?
jcasari

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not download because I had "Auto Check" on... when I figured out I could turn that off and force it to try to download I did. I got an error message (something about the interface may not be working properly) but it let me keep going. It then gave me another error message about it expecting a 25 D5 but it getting a 00 00 (a signature or checksum or something like that, not sure about the actual numbers either other than the 00 00 which I do remember).

Sorry about the vague error messages but I'm currently not at a place where I can run it again and I didn't think to capture these messages at the time (it was like 2am last night!). Anyways, it seems like it may have loaded something, but with me being new to all this I was not sure. I will be reading up more today to see if I can make sense of it. I don't have a high degree of confidence at this time because of the error messages. I'm hesitant to upload to the remote since I don't feel I have a backup of it. Not sure if any of this helps... I'll post a more accurate message when I try this again later today.

jherrick, I'm using WinXP Pro SP2.

Thanks,
Jorge
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcasari wrote:
I'm hesitant to upload to the remote since I don't feel I have a backup of it. Not sure if any of this helps... I'll post a more accurate message when I try this again later today.
Absolutely do not UPLOAD until you have a backup. But download, describe your symptoms and actions, and post your downloaded IR file if you signature mismatch messages, so someone can take a look.

Amazon Firestick
jcasari

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I tried again. I forced it to download. The first error message I got is the following: "No data found in signature. This indicates the interface..."

I told it to continue. It asked me to choose the remote type. I chose "Atlas DVR-PVR 5-Device"

It then gives me the following error message:

"Bad checksum at address $0000. Expected $2A $D5, but found $00 $00"

I hit Ok and it returned me to the main screen. It looks like something loaded so I saved it to Atlas5.ir and uploaded it to the diagnosis file area here. Here is the link:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2396

Did it really load? I notice that on the Raw data tab the numbers have changed. Can someone take a look and let me know if they think it actuall worked? If not, what should I try next? I have already verified the build of the interface (diode direction, 1K Ohm resistors, solder joints, cable continuity, etc..).

Thanks,
Jorge
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure this isn't a jp1.1 or jp1.2 remote?
jcasari

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's and Atlas DVR 5 remote.

I've made some progress, though. I went to my desktop computer at home and loaded all the software there. Not more errors on the interface check. The strange thing was that I was still getting the error when I downloaded from the remote (the no data signature found error). Since I have three of these remotes (I have three cable PVR setop boxes) I decided to try a different remote (identical type). It worked. I tried my third one and it worked as well....so I did what may be considered a stupid thing but I download from one of the remotes that worked and turned around and uploaded those settings to the one remote that gave me the signature error. No more signature error on that one anymore! I figured since they are all the same I needed to make them all the same.

So, long story but I think I'm up and running. Don't know why it won't work properly on my laptop but that's OK...

Thanks to all for your help.... now I need to find a code base for my Vizio TV... but I'll post that one in the appropriate place.

Thanks,
Jorge
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: