JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Learning" Alarm Clock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMolland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: "Learning" Alarm Clock Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
PLEASE.... If this question is inappropriate just ignore it and I'll forget I asked!
On the other hand, has anyone any ideas regarding this problem:-
I have an alarm clock which can learn the command to turn on my TV in the morning which I've used for a few years now. I recently changed to a Sharp LCD TV, and the alarm clock seems to learn the command OK but it doesn't turn the TV on. I've discovered that if the TV is on, the clock will turn it off but that's not what I want. The only button on the original remote which will turn on the TV is the red "power" button... the channel number buttons do nothing (I tried learning "number one"on the alarm clock but although it learns OK, it doesn't turn on the TV.)

Any ideas? I could provide more details if anyone thinks it might help.

(By the way, a big thank-you to all those involved with JP1 - WOW)
LMolland
victor9000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Alarm Clock Reply with quote

I am very new to this idea of programming remotes via the JP1 port. I do, however think I have an idea of what you are experiencing with your clock.

I did not realize it but some devices seem to have different IR signals for OFF and ON. I learned this after setting up a Harmony remote. It has separate buttons/functions for several of my devices which have only a single power button on the original remote. Most of the devices which Harmony offers a choice of on or off will respond with on or off respectively. It does not toggle on and off but rather does the function labeled. My guess is that there are several signals to toggle power. Three that I can see using Harmony. ON, OFF, and Toggle. I have no idea of how you'd incorporate the missing function into your clock (without a Harmony remote or) without a source for the missing function. Does your clock have learning capability for separate ON vs OFF function?

Hope this helps. (I also hope I've guessed correctly)

VA
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can foresee a problem, however. Although you might well find a discrete for ON and one for OFF in an upgrade files such as :
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1152, what are the chances that you haven't just discovered the world's first JP1-compatible alarm clock?

Worth trying the following:
1] Learn again with new batteries in the sending remote
2] Does sending the power command more than once work (if it'll allow you to do that)?
LMolland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey folks I never expected any suggestions after all this time.... Thanks.
My sister is getting married very soon and I'm giving her away 'cos my father passed away some years ago. So please forgive me if I don't try the ideas very soon , but I will try them and feedback ASAP. Isn't the internet brilliant for shrinking the world?
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometines a post will go unanswered for some time but when one person answers then others often pile in.

Good luck with the wedding and remember to buy you sister a drink as usually the groom is overwhelmed with booze (I had perhaps one sip from each of over 100 drinks bought for me) but no-one thinks to offer to buy the bride one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: