JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-2133 part identification -- help me fix this thing! :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayWWW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: RS 15-2133 part identification -- help me fix this thing! :) Reply with quote

Hi,

I dropped my 15-2133 6-in-1 Kameleon on the tile floor, and afterward, the backlight ceased functioning. There was also a nasty rattle inside the remote. Upon opening for inspection, a small round black disc, wound with wire, fell out of the remote. The number "831" is screened on the top of this part. I can see the pedestal where this little part was mounted near the top of the circuit board, as it fits back in place, but the solder connections are broken.

Does anyone know what this part is, based on this description provided? Can I just solder the broken connections to the copper wire windings around this part, or do I need to order a replacement? If so, would anyone happen to know a part number?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 2133 uses a transformer, but I may be wrong. Without seeing the remote's circuit board I can't say for sure, but it sounds like maybe an inductor.
Sorry can't be more help, but without seeing the board and part...
Jim
DaleMac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Kameleon where the backlight stopped working after (I suspect) being dropped. When dismantled, the small round disc about 10mm in diameter was broken away on one side and the copper wire was broken. I pulled some extra wire out and resoldered it to the circuit board. Then I used hot glue to hold the disc in place. Once that was done, the backlight worked fine. Very fiddly work, though.
See this thread:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4754
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the remote has the blue backlight that 'whines' when on, then it is an electroluminescent display.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question296.htm
The broken part is a tiny transformer used to step up the voltage.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the remote but checking the specs, it has a modem and that is what it sounds like broke off. This would be unrelated to the backlight problem. You might want to check for further damage or even misalignment of parts.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it sure sounds like the modem, but according to DaleMac (in the other thread that he linked to), soldering this part back on made his backlight work again.

I haven't had a Kameleon open since reading this though to see if that makes any sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: