JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

scientific Atlanta DVB4200
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squizz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: scientific Atlanta DVB4200 Reply with quote

Device: scientific Atlanta DVB4200
Type of device: CAB (UK-Telewest)
Year: 2004
JP1 Remote model: OFA9600B01
JP1 user? No
Still have original remote? Yes
Checked the file section? Yes
Checked the Pronto file section (at R/C)? Two files found for 4000dv 4000dv and 4200hd. See below

Partially working setup code? No

Learning remote question? My remote cannot learn the IRDA
codes from the original handset.

I have attempted to get my 9600 OFA remote to control my
old cable box (Pace DVT1010 UK) for many weeks now. I sought
help on the Remote Central site and eventually created a wav
file which my remote would not accept (it has a built in voice
modem). I was about to send my wav file to this forum to see
if anyone could help, and right on que my Pace box dies. It has
now been replaced by the above mentioned Scientific Atlanta
DVB4200. So i'm back to square one. I've tryed to find txt files
so that I can start the process of creating another wave file
for the new box - no luck. I've downloaded a couple of Pronto
type files and converted them to txt files, but cannot load or
import them into KM. I've read the keymap-master-readme.txt
and ReadMe_DecodeCCF.txt but most of it's over my head.
Will my 9600 be able to control the SA 4200dvb cable box,
Or should I buy a IRDA to RC converter (Red Eye) or just
give up.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you first confirm that you've tried some of the Sci Atl upgrade files in the file section to see if they work. I just downloaded the 4200 Pronto file and can confirm that it uses the same protocol (Panasonoc Old) as the files in the file section.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: scientific Atlanta DVB4200 Reply with quote

Squizz wrote:
I sought help on the Remote Central site and eventually created a wav file which my remote would not accept (it has a built in voice modem).
I don't know specifically about this remote but have you ever successfully done any WAV upgrade? If not, have you set the remote ready to receive a WAV file as per the user manual?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your Scientific Atlanta uses IrDa?

I understand some of the Pace cable boxes use IrDa. But I don't recall seeing anything about Scientific Atlanta using IrDa.

If it used the typical Scientific Atlata code set Rob mentioned then there shouldn't have been a problem learning the signals (but you also shouldn't have needed to do so).

If it is really IrDa, the 9600 can transmit IrDa correctly. I don't think it can learn IrDa correctly. I'm sure an upgrade is possible to define the right IrDa signals, but I'm not sure how hard that might be.
Squizz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine
Thanks for your rapid reply.
I feel like a bit of a "****" as the OFA 9600 works to some extent with the SA 4200 STB using the setup code 0877 supplied with the remotes manual. However there are a number of buttons which don't work, and as you rightly stated my OFA remote cannot learn them from the original remote. Where do I go from here as I can't find any txt files for the set top box and so can't go about trying to create codes for the missing buttons and then wav them to my remote. (Sorry if the solutions obvious)
Thanks Paul

Last edited by Squizz on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Squizz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman
You were bang on again. I was so convinced that because my remote could not control the Pace box, it would not be able to control the SA box either. I don't want to repeat a post I've sent previously so if you have a spare moment could you glance at my response to "johnsfine"
You confirmed that the files were old panasonic types, does this mean I should be able to import/load them into KM once I've converted them?
If this is the case can you suggest why it did not work.
Thanks Squizz
Squizz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark
Didnt want to ignore your post. Thanks for your reply. If you see my responses to the robman and johnsfine, you'll see I've made a few mistakes. If you couls browse my previous actions I would be extreamly greatful. Was I on the right path with what I tryed below:

My manual does not tell me how to upgrade from wav. You are supposed to do this via the phone from OFA.
Here's a list of my actions I tryed for the old Pace box:-
My Remote was purchased in the UK OFA Kameleon 9960B01
Downloaded and unzipped IR, KM and IR2WAV.
Placed IR2WAV class and bat files onto the desktop as instructed in read me
Downloaded Java 2 Runtime Environment, Stnd Edition 1.4.2_09 and installed it
set IR for my remote (several different RDF files to choose from)
Loaded upgrade txt (from Robman) into KM (the file is Pace_1000 DITV1000.txt my pace box is a 1010, model does this matter!)
Copied and pasted codes and protocols into IR
Export to wav/upgrade (was greyed out untill I installed Java)
This produced a Wav file (372k)
Held down setup on RC
Pressed other
Typed in 997 (found this on a forum somewhere)
RC went blank
Position RC infront of speaker and played WAV
RC came back on but haven't noticed it accepting code i.e no double flashing!
RC still will not operate the pace 1010 STB (European)
Repeated at various distances and volumes - still nothing

I was contemplating useing the same proceedure as above for the SA 4200dvb
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squizz wrote:
The Robman
You were bang on again. I was so convinced that because my remote could not control the Pace box, it would not be able to control the SA box either. I don't want to repeat a post I've sent previously so if you have a spare moment could you glance at my response to "johnsfine"
You confirmed that the files were old panasonic types, does this mean I should be able to import/load them into KM once I've converted them?
If this is the case can you suggest why it did not work.
Thanks Squizz

You ask "why it did not work" yet it doesn't sound like you've actually tried using any of the upgrade files from the file section. Your earlier post said that you had download some Pronto files and tried to import them into KM, which obviously won't work.

In your case you don't need to use the Pronto files as we have upgrades that you can use, but if you had needed to use them, you would have had to run them against the DecodeCCF program. This would create text files that you can open using Excel (not KM). The output of DecodeCCF lists the protocols and device/command codes used by all the signals. You would then need to cut and paste this info over to KM.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squizz wrote:
using the setup code 0877 supplied with the remotes manual. However there are a number of buttons which don't work,

0877 is one of the setup codes for the standard Scientific Atlata code set. That code set is well documented in JP1 upgrade files, CCF files and other sources. From any of those sources you should be able to derive the EFC numberrs of all the missing functions. Even if you can't get .wav file loading to work you can get the missing functions to work using KeyMoves of the EFC numbers.

Squizz wrote:
and as you rightly stated my OFA remote cannot learn them from the original remote.

Is that a typo or out of context or what? Your 9960 should have no trouble learning the Scientific Atlanta commands. KeyMoves may be better than learned signals, but the learned signals should work.

Or by "original" do you mean learning from the Pace didn't work so you didn't try learning from the Scientific Atlanta?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squizz wrote:

set IR for my remote (several different RDF files to choose from)

But which did you actually choose?

Squizz wrote:

This produced a Wav file (372k)

If you want to put that .wav file in the diagnosis area and post a link back here, I'm sure some expert would look at it and tell you whether you were on the right track up to that point.

Squizz wrote:

Typed in 997 (found this on a forum somewhere)

RC went blank

Position RC infront of speaker and played WAV

RC came back on but haven't noticed it accepting code i.e no double flashing!

I don't know enough about loading a .wav into a 9960 to know from that description whether you did it right nor whether the RC responded as expected.

BUT there is an important piece of information you can easily check. If you did already and that's what you meant by "no double flashing" you need to make that a lot clearer:

The upgrade specifies a device type and setup code number for a new setup code. Hopefully that type and number did not exist in the 9960 before you loaded that wav file. On the 9960 you can try to assign that type and number setup code to a device key and it will indicate fairly clearly whether or not it accepts that setup code number.

If it does accept the number but it doesn't control the device then something is wrong with the upgrade itself (what was copied from KM to IR). If it doesn't even accept the setup code number, that is a different sort of problem in IR or in the loading of the .wav file.

I understand you no longer even have that device requiring IrDa. But the next time you want to load an upgrade by .wav file you should be more explicit about what you did and what went wrong.
Squizz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman
I've downloaded the upgrade file Scientific_Atlanta_Explorer_2000HD.txt from the file section.
Loaded it up in KM
Opened up IR and set the RDF file to KASAKASO (URC-9960 B01 OFA)
Checked wav directory etc.
Switched back to KM and used the paste function to copy over the device data (there was no protocol data to copy)
I checked the data had copied into IR (Raw data has changed)
Under Device buttons on the general tab I typed in 1477 for CBL code
Exported the wav (upgrade only)
Then used "Upload Wav to Remote" button and followed instructions.
To ready my remote:
I held down SETUP until it blinked
Pressed other
Typed 997 held it infront of the speaker.

Nothing happened, no flashing lights etc. The remote remained blank for about 30 seconds then re-illuminated with the bottom bar giving one long flash (I believe two flashes means it has been accepted).

I then pressed home to escape the setup section
selected the cable icon and attempted to use one of the missing functions ("last" or "back" as it is called on the original remote (the one that came with the Pace box - no new remote supplied when changed to a SA box))

Don't know if its any help but the codes for last are given as EFC = 153 and HEX = 73
???????
Squizz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine
The remote I have for the Sci Atlanta box is the original one supplied with the Pace STB. The engineer from my cable company said it would work fine with the new box (as it does). My 9600 will not learn from this remote.
When you mention Keymoves do you mean keymoves on the remote itself or keymoves within IR.

Are you suggesting that I assign say the AUX key as another cable box that also has a "last" button (for e.g.) and then use key moves to to make this command available to the SA box.

Could you also kindly look at my latest reply to Robman where I think I have answered the questions in your second reply
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squizz wrote:

The remote I have for the Sci Atlanta box is the original one supplied with the Pace STB. The engineer from my cable company said it would work fine with the new box (as it does). My 9600 will not learn from this remote.

Is that some sort of programmable or universal remote? Did he or you reprogram it for the change of cable box?

You've told us your new cable box responds to standard Scientific Atlanta signals. We are quite certain a 9960 can learn standard Scientific Atlanta signals. That leaves a lot of possibilities, such as:

1) Your original remote was reprogrammed, so it now sends signals the 9960 can learn, but you haven't believed us and haven't tried.

2) Your new cable box responds to two totally unrelated command sets. Some devices do that, but in this case I'd bet against it.

3) Your 9960 is failing to learn because its memory is full or you're doing it wrong, or some other reason that doesn't imply the original remote is sending signals that a 9960 can't learn.

Quote:

When you mention Keymoves do you mean keymoves on the remote itself or keymoves within IR.

On the remote itself using EFC numbers. You'll need to find a thread and/or Rob's enhanced documentation for the key sequence to doing EFC KeyMoves on the remote itself. OFA tends not to document things like that.

Quote:

Are you suggesting that I assign say the AUX key as another cable box that also has a "last" button (for e.g.) and then use key moves to to make this command available to the SA box.

No. There is no need to involve a second device nor a second setup code.

Quote:

Could you also kindly look at my latest reply to Robman where I think I have answered the questions in your second reply

Not at all. But I'm running out of ways to describe it.

If you created the .wav file from upgrade only, then it doesn't include anything else, such as assigning a setup code to a device key on the general tab. So to actually use the upgrade you must assign the setup code to a device key using a key sequence on the remote itself, after loading the .wav file and before expecting the results of loading that wav file to control the device. During that task of assigning the setup code you can tell whether the task of loading the wav file actually loaded the intended setup code.
Squizz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine
The remote that came with my first Pace STB was the same type as used by NTL (RC 2902/00 - No. in battery compartment). No reprogramming was performed by the engineer or myself. The replacement STB (Scentific Atlanta) does indeed respond toany of the four codes suggested for it in the OFA hand book.
I have followed the instructions in the OFA handbook and deleted all learned keys in all modes - so it cannot now be full up! I have one macro programmed to turn of my whole system - could this be using up the memory. Forget this ive deleted all macros aswell. Again I have tryed to learn the offending keys - each time I get the long flash of the IR segment display indicating a failed proceedure
I've found some threads that tell me how to use 944 to program EFC changes and have tryed to do this using 00153 and 153 (which i got from the previously mentioned IR file created from the Scentific Atlanta.txt file.
This does not work - the back button still does nothing (and anyway will this not just be the same key code as in the OFA setup codes preprogrammed into the remote anyway).
I bet you are all pretty fed up with me! but not as fed up as I am with this remote (3.41am just finished reading threads 33 pages of searches on EFC and keymoves)
Finally does it matter what I call a Wav file - does it need to be the same as the setup code i.e. 1477.wav ?
I can live without the back button, but it also functions within the Guides etc as a means of exiting them - at the moment i have to get the original remote or turn the STB off and on again to exit)
Here's hoping
Paul
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of key points that remain unclear:

(1) Have you EVER confirmed a successful .wav file upload to this remote? If not, then this is the first thing you must solve - how to upload a .wav file.
(2) After uploading the "upgrade only", have you then MANUALLY set the desired devicetype/setup code for the SA upgrade? If not, then the remote is not trying to USE the upgrade that is sitting in the EEPROM.

BUT...my recommendation, if CBL/0877 partially works, is screw the upgrade (until - not IF - you get a cable and pogo adapter Smile ) and fill in the gaps in your 0877 setup code with keymoves using EFCs (not OBCs).

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: