JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Closed Caption and Mute on one button
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abroadst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the ToadTog:

One thing I was just thinking about, especially with a long macro, is the possiblity of one of the ir signal missing its target somehow and then the whole thing is out of sync. For example, one of the cc toggle signals, in the sequence of 4 or whatever may fail to register on the TV. Now the remote has the bit set that tells it the TV is muted with CC1 on, but really the TV is in TEXT2 mode. Press mute again and the TV goes to CC mode off and the sound goes off. There's no way to re-synchronize. This could be frustrating and require the use of the dreaded OLD REMOTE!

I guess that's why discrete signals, rather than toggles that cycle through a bunch of options, are so nice to have.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
require the use of the dreaded OLD REMOTE!

You need to have the CC cycling key defined as a KeyMove anyway, or you couldn't use it in the ToadTog. The "obvious" way to do that is define it on some phantom key. But the problem you describe is the reason you should put that KeyMove on a shifted key rather than a phantom.

For the ToadTog, a shifted key is just as easy to use as a phantom.

When it gets out of sync, it should be obvious what state the ToadTog thought it was achieving. Just press the shifted key until the TV reaches that state and you're back in sync.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
About the ToadTog:

One thing I was just thinking about, especially with a long macro, is the possiblity of one of the ir signal missing its target somehow and then the whole thing is out of sync. For example, one of the cc toggle signals, in the sequence of 4 or whatever may fail to register on the TV. Now the remote has the bit set that tells it the TV is muted with CC1 on, but really the TV is in TEXT2 mode. Press mute again and the TV goes to CC mode off and the sound goes off. There's no way to re-synchronize. This could be frustrating and require the use of the dreaded OLD REMOTE!

I guess that's why discrete signals, rather than toggles that cycle through a bunch of options, are so nice to have.
Out-of-synch conditions are ALWAYS a risk/problem with ToadTogs, but you have to choose your poison, I suppose. Most people, as John Fine describes, have the actual function that ToadTog is calling on program elsewhere to a "real" button (shifted or not) just for this eventuality - to restore synch. I have 7 devices, two of which are "power" Toads. For those two I use ToadTog and have really VERY little problem (but I do have a "get out of Jail" button to toggle their power if necesary.)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andrew,
Could you please describe what happens, if anything, when you try OBC 69 with your TV. I'd hate to see everyone go to great lengths to get some alternative solution working if this OBC does exactly what you want.
abroadst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBC 69 seems to me to be defined as part of the Sony 164 protocol. Under code TV/0000 that's a B device I think, right? So the EFC should be 023, not 031, isn't that right? Maybe I'm reading the charts wrongly. If so, can you step me through the right way?

Also, how do I set the remote to have a straight TV/0000 code map? Do I need to find an upgrade KM or RM file for that or can I just type in 0000 in the code field for a device in IR? If I do that then I can define a key move for this EFC, right?
abroadst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, using the procedure above I just tried both EFC 031 and 023 using TV/0000 and neither did anything.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
OBC 69 seems to me to be defined as part of the Sony 164 protocol. Under code TV/0000 that's a B device I think, right? So the EFC should be 023, not 031, isn't that right?

Yeah, you're right, for some reason I was thinking that it was from device code 1. I just corrected my earlier posts.

abroadst wrote:
Anyway, using the procedure above I just tried both EFC 031 and 023 using TV/0000 and neither did anything.

Okee Dokee, that confirms that the code doesn't work on your set.
abroadst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on where I might look for advanced codes for the Motorola cable box, in case a CC code does exist?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
Any thoughts on where I might look for advanced codes for the Motorola cable box, in case a CC code does exist?
You can always do a code search. Hopefully, you're using a device upgrade for the cable box. Then you just take you KM or RM file and examine it. See what OBCs are used, and which ones are NOT used. (In RM, just sort by OBC and gaps become immediately evident, in KM, look at the last tabbed page (Code List) and sort it by OBC.

Then build a few upgrade to test all of the unused OBCs (between 0-255) and try them out. Usually it's logical to start with obvious GAPS in the used OBCs, and then move out into OBCs that are "outside" of the range used by known functions.

If you're NOT using a device upgrade, but a built-in code, then you can manually test each EFC (select that sevice mode, press shift followed by the three-digit EFC) - or look up your setup code HERE and build an upgrade using that protocol and device info and to test all OBCs as above.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mikemcgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how it works on my Sony TV.
In the setup menu, there is an option titled "Caption Vision", that can be set to CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4, TEXT1, TEXT2, TEXT3, TEXT4, or XDS.
The first press of the Display key on the remote shows the current channel or video input. The second press of the Display button, brings up whatever is set in Caption Vision. The third press of the Display button takes you back to where you started, with nothing extra being displayed on the screen. The code mentioned earlier (Device 164,OBC 16) takes you to the setup menu where you can toggle between the nine options listed above. Before I got a Tivo with it's built-in Guide I used to toggle between XDS and CC1 frequently, but now I just always leave it set to CC1. I haven't found any discrete codes for enabling/disabling CC. The TV does not enable CC when muted.

After reading this thread, I just set up my remote so that a LKP of mute uses Toadtog to either [hit Display twice to turn on CC, then hit Tivo Instant Replay twice to go back so I can read the dialogue I couldn't quite make out] or [hit Display once to turn CC off]. A regular press of the Mute button uses Toadtog to [toggle mute on the receiver and enable CC if it isn't already on] or [toggle mute on the receiver turn off CC on the TV unless it was already on].

I just occurred to me that a simple way of accomplishing the desired Mute/CC functionality would be to define the Scan key as:
Dev_Aud;Mute;Dev_TV;Display;Display;{Pause};Dev_Aud;Mute;Dev_TV;Display;{Pause}
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: