JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1st day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
just4fn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: 1st day Reply with quote

Question OK be nice. I stumbled across this forum. I have a radio shack 15-2117 remote. I have 2 tivo's, dvd, tv, vcr, stereo. I have macros on my remote to switch to tivo or dvd, etc. I have used keymove for certain buttons, and have the remote set up basiclly how I want it. What would be my advantage to use the jp1 programming? This question probably has been asked 1000's of times. Is it just for the sake of saying I know how or is there an advantage to jp1? This may be the 1st of many questions to follow- Thank you, Doug
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newbie to JP1 so please also wait for an experienced JP1er to answer this as well. These are my observations:

with JP1 the way you set up your remote is stored in a file on your computer. if the remote should get lost, broken, or reset itself, you would be able to use JP1 to upload the information into the new remote rather than have to reprogram the remote from scratch by pressing the little remote keys for 20 minutes and having to look up codes and do keymoves on the remote etc.

there are usually additional functions that your devices have that there are not buttons for on the original remote. For example, on my JP1ed remote I have buttons for my replaytv's discrete on/discrete off/ 1-3-9minute skip forward/1-3-9minute skip backward even though these features do not appear on the replaytv's original remote.

When I set the universal remote up using the code in the book for my devices, I did not like where they decided to put alot of the keys. Using a lot of keymoves or learning uses up all available memory and the keys still are not set up right. Using JP1 you can create an upgrade (basically a layout you like attached to a setup code you decide on, usually named by adding 1000 to the existing setup code) that does not use up keymove or learning memory to put the functions on the keys you want.

with JP1 you can do things like when you press the DVD button, all DVD required devices turn on, and the TIVO would select whichever input the DVD is on. Most remotes do not let you program macros to device buttons (like DVD, TV, etc).

JP1 has device specific macros for when you want to do a macro on a key only when in DVD mode for example.

Using an extender, you can do alot more. For example, instead of saying "DVD" in the LCD window when you are using your TIVOs, it would say TIVO1 or TIVO2 (you can customize what the device name is). You can have the same key do different functions based on how you press it. (long key press vs. short key press vs double key press.) For devices that do not have discrete on and off functions, the remote can keep track of their state using a toggle protocol. The extender can increase the available memory of the remote by zapping little used or useless functions, so you can write long and complex macros for example and not run out of space.

Not in your case, but also a JP1 advantage is that some devices (like my emerson video switcher) do not have built in codes from the manufacturer, and radioshack/one-for-all/UEI do not support them so that even if I were send my remote back to them, they could not add this device. With JP1 this is not a problem.

These are the advantages that came to mind for me (<-a newbie, only been at this JP1 stuff for a month).
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, JP1 would let you do the macro and key move programming on your PC (using the IR program) instead of from the remotes keypad. One thing you can do with JP1 that you can't on the remote itself is assign macros to the device buttons themselves. In the end, most people find it easier to do these things with JP1.

In addition, with JP1 you'll be able to build your own upgrades. These can be for new equipment you might get in the future that isn't supported by the built-in codes, or for your current equipment. Many times, building an upgrade can eliminate several key moves because the default button mapping isn't the best.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have two Tivo's, you can create upgrades with different unit codes which would let you control them independantly of each other.
just4fn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I like the idea of creating macros with the device buttons. I am going to radio shack today and build the jp1 cable. I think I have downloaded the necc files to try and start editing but I know I dont know what I am looking at yet. Baby steps 1st. I am not familiar with all the lingo yet, it sounds like a foereign language still. How long will it take to become an expert? Does it take long for it to sink in and say-Now I understand!. Do I have to know hexi or binary numbers? Thanks,
Doug
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone adapts to JP1 differently. For some, it's very easy; others find it difficult. No one can say for certain how easy/hard it will be for you.

Make sure you read any documentation included with the tools. Also, start with JP1 for Beginners.

With the software tools, most of the hard work is done for you, so you don't really need to know hex or binary. There are instances where it might come in handy, but it's not required.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just4fn wrote:
How long will it take to become an expert?
JP1 was born on 10/6/2000, so the simple answer is at most, 3 years and 1 month. But since most of the experts were already at the top of their fields before JP1 came along, I think it depends more on your background and how much time and effort you want to spend. With the exception of extenders or complex protocols, if you can follow directions, if you have half a brain, and if someone else has already created an upgrade for your devices, then pretty much it will take you 20 minutes the first time and 5 minutes thereafter to modify and upload your upgrades. If you have an entire brain or access to one, it may go even faster. Razz
JP1Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: