JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

9910 macros confusion/timing(?) issue using RF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joegovernale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: 9910 macros confusion/timing(?) issue using RF Reply with quote

Some macros on my 9910 remote are apparently confusing my Scientific Atlanta Eplorer 8300HD cable DVR. The macros work as expected with the RF repeater unplugged and with an 8910 (non-RF) remote. My current fix is to cover the 9910 remote's LED. Has anyone had any similar experiences? BTW, I have 6 9910s and 4 8910s (Long story!) and the problem is the same regardless of the remote and RF box. I haven't noticed any similar problems with macros for other devices.
Bebert2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some similar issues with my URC-9911(9910). I don't know if the problems are caused by the RF base vs. infrared, or the extender 1, or some hardware, device-related issues.

I think it might be something with the Scientific Atlanta 2200 cable box. When entering channel numbers directly, I sometimes need to push buttons more than once. Usually, when pressing the button again (on the One-for-all), I wiggle the remote in a different angle (in the air) and it works. Might require a few extra presses but in the end, it works. Same thing with the volume on my Yamaha amp. If I hold the volume down button, sometimes it will go all the way down. Sometimes, it will go down a little (for example, from -20 db to -24 db) then it stops. I change the angle on the remote and press the button again...

Minor hassles if you consider all the benefits offered by JP1 and more specifically, the extender 1 for the URC-9910/8910.

Bebert
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2200 cable box
Hitachi Ultravision 42v515 LCD projection HDTV
Polk Audio R15 bookshelf speakers
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible cause number 1: Weak batteries. Embarassed My SA satellite box is the first component to go flaky as the remote batteries start to weaken (I'm also using an IR/RF "Command Centre")

Possible cause number 2: Interference from adjacent components. Confused My SA box ALSO responded only intermittently regardless of angles, batteries, waving about, etc. until I re-ordered the components in my A-V cabinet. The SA box remained in the same place, but I relocated a combo DVD-VCR as far away as I could, and suddenly the SA box sensitivity skyrocketed. Surprised Apparently the combo unit is not well shielded, and along with the SA box's already identified sensitivity, there was enough interference to wreak havoc with my IR signals. Interestingly, proximity of the DVD-VCR to OTHER components seems to not affect them - from which I infer that my other components are of somewhat "higher"quality. Very Happy (I would not expect any of your compnents to be causing this kind of problem, however 8) )

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 9910 macros confusion/timing(?) issue using RF Reply with quote

joegovernale wrote:
Some macros on my 9910 remote are apparently confusing my Scientific Atlanta Eplorer 8300HD cable DVR. The macros work as expected with the RF repeater unplugged and with an 8910 (non-RF) remote. My current fix is to cover the 9910 remote's LED.

When you use the URC-9910 in the same room as where you hve the base unit located, you have two sources of IR firing away at your equipment (ie, the IR-LED in the remote and the ones in the base unit). Typically, the equipment isn't so sensitive that this is a problem, but it appears that this isn't the case with your S/A box.

Maybe you should leave a URC-8910 in the main room and just use the URC-9910 from all the other locations.
joegovernale

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some more time to experiment with this last night and found that the problem seems to be RF interference, not IR. I unplugged the base RF/IR repeater and found that the problem gets worse when I have the 9910 remote closer to the SA cable box. The 8910 does not have the problem so it appears to be RF pickup by the cable box from the 9910. If I get ambitous, I may try opening the 9910 and disabling the RF board to see if this is eliminates the problem.
This also seems to fit in with comments in other posts about RF interference and "bad neighbors". BTW, the cable box is fairly far removed from all of my other equipment.

Capn, thanks for the battery suggestion. The problem is worse with rechargeable batteries than with alkalines (4.8V vs 6V).

I forgot to mention in my original post that I am using both the 9910 and 8910 with extenders and the same commands downloaded to them. The only issues are with Scientific Atlanta transport commands used in a macro. The problem is also there on smaller macros involving transport functions on the 9910 without using the extender.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "bad neighbor" stuff is where there is extra RF in the air that causes the base unit to send more IR signals than it's supposed to, which doesn't seem to be what's happening in your case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: