JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote Master questions regarding URC-6131nw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Remote Master questions regarding URC-6131nw Reply with quote

Greetings!

I'm not a complete n00b, having successfully programmed my URC-8811 some time ago, but I am new to Remote Master, and I'm having a problem.

I just got a new URC-6131nw, and successfully installed the chip and JP1 header. I can communicate with IR.exe just fine, so now I'm trying to redo my old upgrades for the new remote.

The problem is that in Remote Master, when I try to assign a function to the "Audio" or "CC" buttons , the function is applied to both buttons. Furthermore, the "Buttons" tab only shows one button, labeled "Audio(CC)".

I see in the RDF file for this remote (PVR0PVR0) the button list, and it only lists the one "Audio(CC)" button. Is this a bug in the RDF for this device, and if so, how can I find the values to add the other button?

I also have a couple of other questions about how RM works, and about the 6131:

1. RM allows you to edit the function of the device selection buttons at the top of the remote. Normally these buttons simply change the mode of the remote; what would happen if I set one of the functions with RM?

2. The bottom four buttons on the picture of the remote in the "Layout" tab don't have yellow circles around them, but it appears you can set their functions as well (including the "Set" button, which seems like a bad idea like the device selection buttons). Is there a reason these aren't circled?

3. How do you access the "shifted" functions when using the remote? Is there a way to access dev7 and dev8?

Thanks in advance,

Jamie
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry Jamie, you're not losing your mind, this is UEI's fault. Keep in mind that the URC-6131nw internally is the same remote as the older URC-6131, and on that remote the CC and AUDIO functions are combined onto the same button.

UEI obviously decided that those 2 functions have nothing to do with each other (like CC and SUBTITLE might have been a better idea) so for the new remote they decided to seperate the buttons, but as they are using the same firmware that came with the URC-6131 remote, they can't, so they just spread the one button across 2 physical buttons. Therefore, even though the AUDIO and CC buttons now "look" like seperate buttons, they are in fact still the same single button.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6131 is my remote of choice. Did you mean the Audio(CC) button or have you noticed that sometimes changing one button on the layout or buttons page resets another button? You can change the misapplied button back again and you want to watch for undesired changes. On mine changing a button often causes the TV/Vid button to change also to match the one I added.

1: You can try to change the device buttons but it won't have any effect unless you are running the extender. Many people use "shifted" device buttons for startup macros.
2: The bottom buttons (PIP, etc) aren't circled to indicate that a keymove will be needed add a function there. Circled buttons are included in the mapping (defined by type of device -- PVR, VCR, TV, etc) and don't require a keymove.
3: The "set" key is the "shift" key on most remotes (this one included) and the procedure is to press it then the desired key (a numeric 0-9 shifted key requires two presses of "shift" to activate something like a "shifted 2" for instance.
4: dev7 (8) must be selected with a macro that has dev7 (8) as the last step, leaving the remote in dev7 (8) mode.

With the extender you can use any button you want as "shift" without the double press limitation on numeric shifted keys. Without the extender you can define a different key as "shift" with a macro (if you find it hard to press the recessed "set" key) like PVR_Menu=Set[Setup] as I do. Actually I define my "shift" as PVR_Menu=Set[Setup];Set[Setup] so that it will activate "shifted" numeric keys without actually pressing "shift" twice.

Start simple and get complicated later, and document what you do. I just got a new display and it took me forever to figure out my old macros and keymoves and change them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
The 6131 is my remote of choice. Did you mean the Audio(CC) button ...

Hey Steve,
He's talking about the URC-6131nw remote, not the URC-6131 remote. OFA have put out a new remote which looks completely different to the 6131 that you have, but it has the same chip inside, so IR can't tell the difference.

One the new remote, they have seperate buttons for CC and AUDIO, but each button uses the same keycode, so for all extents and purposes, they are the same button. Kinda brain-dead, I know, but I'm just reporting what they did, they didn't ask my advice on this one (though they did seek my advice on the original version).
JamieGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses! You guys are great.

Quote:
Keep in mind that the URC-6131nw internally is the same remote as the older URC-6131, and on that remote the CC and AUDIO functions are combined onto the same button.

You know, it's funny. I described my problem to a friend of mine, and he said "could they be electrically connected?" I replied, "naw, that'd be stupid." Famous last words Wink

Other than that strange feature, I like the 6131nw. It's much slimmer than the 6131, and has more useful buttons than my good old 8811.

Quote:
...have you noticed that sometimes changing one button on the layout or buttons page resets another button?

I have noticed that, but I assumed it's just a glitch in RM.

Quote:
The bottom buttons (PIP, etc) aren't circled to indicate that a keymove will be needed add a function there. Circled buttons are included in the mapping (defined by type of device -- PVR, VCR, TV, etc) and don't require a keymove.

Ah ha! (The light goes on.) I get it; I ran into a similar situation when setting up my DishPVR 501 a couple years ago. I'd made my own SAT 1775 upgrade to add the PVR functions, but the SAT device type didn't map the transport controls. This just shows that graphically, which is quite helpful once you know what it means.

Quote:
Start simple and get complicated later, and document what you do. I just got a new display and it took me forever to figure out my old macros and keymoves and change them.

Amen! I'm glad I did that way back when I was getting started. It's making this conversion much simpler. Once I get the basics done, I'll probably be back to talk macros and such. Thanks guys!

Jamie
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you're handy with a soldering iron and don't mind doing some delicate soldering (much more delicate than just adding an EEPROM), you can probably re-wire one of those two buttons to be a regular button. It wouldn't be part of any of the keymaps of course, so you'd need to use keymoves to program it, but you would have one extra button.

If this is something that you want to try, let us know and one of the experts will tell you what traces to cut and where to re-wire them.
JamieGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way ... you can probably re-wire one of those two buttons to be a regular button.

Really? That would be quite interesting. I don't think the soldering will be a problem -- I have a friend with a full-on surface-mount system (he does electronic design for a living). I don't really need the extra button (I still need to figure out what to do with some of the others, like the thumbs-up and -down Smile ), but it would make for an interesting exercise.

So in short, it's no big deal, but if it's not too much hassle, I'd definitely like to hear how it's done!

Jamie
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the buttons find their way back to the processor by way of a grid. There are 2 sets of 8 pins on the processor that the grid connects to.

What you need to do is break this button out of the grid by cutting a couple of traces, and then put it back into the grid by attaching the button to different traces.

We haven't done a hack like this in a long while, but back in the old days, a few people did this sort of mod to convert the FAV/SCAN button on the 15-1994 remote into a regular button.

I just found the file in the photo section of the old Yahoo group, hopefully this link will work. If it doesn't, go to Photos > 15-1994 Hacks > sleep-swap

I'm not expert enough in this area to tell you which lines to cut and where to solder them to though, so hopefully someone else will help out with that info.
JamieGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I see the theory. I don't think I'll mess with it now, but it's cool to know just how flexible these things are.

I do have another question though. Is there a way to see what functions are mapped to each key in the default codes? For some of my devices, the standard codes are almost enough, so a couple of keymoves would get me there. But it'd be nice if I could see at a glance what functions are already supported, to avoid just standing in front of the TV and pushing them all in turn...

Jamie
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean "is there an easy way to read the standard setup codes from the ROM?". No, I'm afraid, but you can enter a standard code and assign it to a device button and then use a second, learning, remote to capture the signals and read off the codes via IR. Or you can use IR to KeyMove functions from one device to the button on another (or the same device, if you must) and then read the Hex Cmd codes from the Key Moves tab.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just have one or two setup codes that you'd like to see the default mapping for, state what they are and one of us can probably cook something up.

But even so, seeing as how you now have 2kbs of memory where almost all of it is dedicated to upgrades, you have more upgrade memory than you are ever likely to need, so why not just download the upgrade files for each of your devices and map the buttons exactly how you want them. That way you won't waste any of your precious keymove / macro memory correcting the built in codes.
JamieGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...why not just download the upgrade files for each of your devices and map the buttons exactly how you want them. That way you won't waste any of your precious keymove / macro memory correcting the built in codes.

And again the "aha!" light goes on. I hadn't really paid attention to the memory display at the bottom of IR.exe's window. Now I see that the keymove/macro space is quite limited. It looks like I could easily fit all six (eight if I use the dev7 and dev8 device codes) of my devices into the upgrade memory, and that gives me maximum flexibility. Thanks again!

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: