JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Philips 21PT440A TV - discrete off but no discrete on code ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinallein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Philips 21PT440A TV - discrete off but no discrete on code ? Reply with quote

Hi, the original remote of my Philips 21PT440A TV delivers a discrete off code when you press the power button, but I can not find a discrete on code. The unit turns on autimatically if you press a channel key or channel + or -. My problem is now, that I have set up Macros to turn on all relevant devices (i.e. to watch TV). Using a combination of channel + and channel - makes sure the TV is on and stays on the previous channel, but every switch now has this annoying double switching of channels.
I tried every EFC from 0 to 128 searching for the discrete on and none seems to do the job. Any hints for me ?

Thanks
Kevin
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Philips 21PT440A TV - discrete off but no discrete on co Reply with quote

kevinallein wrote:
I tried every EFC from 0 to 128 searching for the discrete on and none seems to do the job. Any hints for me ?

You really mean EFC, not OBC?

There are 128 OBC values in each RC5 device number (I assume this is RC5, so much of what follows is wrong if it's RC6 or other). A UEI setup code for RC5 typically has all 128 OBC values for one device number and 64 OBC values for another.

But the 128 OBC values for the first device number are not contained in the first 128 EFC values. They are scattered through the first 256 EFC values, as are the 64 OBC values of the other device number and 64 EFC values that produce other RC5 signals, which aren't likely to be useful.

What setup code are you using? Or if this is a JP1 upgrade, what device numbers?

I don't know much about RC5x, but some devices use RC5 for power toggle and RC5x for power discrete. It doesn't sound likely for a device whose normal power key is a discrete off, but it is worth trying. Give me the details of the discrete off command and I'll try to guess what RC5x commands would be right.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin,
John wouldn't have to do all that guessing if you specified what setup code you are using.
kevinallein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, the remote uses the RC-5 protocol. The power button (discrete off) uses OBC=12 and EFC=44. The TV uses the 0054 setup code.
I need to double check, whether I tried 128 EFCs or OBCs. I created 4 different upgrade protocols with keymap master, but I do have those file on a different computer and can only check tomorrow.

Thanks
Kevin
kevinallein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked now - I really generated EFC 0 - 128 in keymap master !

Kevin
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

EFC's 018 and 088 are the classic Philips On and Off commands for TV_0054. You might try those again. I posted an explanation of EFC to OBC translation at the end of a word document contained in:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Miscellaneous/RC5devicematrix1.zip

For TV_0054; Dev1=0 - lower 64 OBC's, Dev2=0 - upper 64 OBC's and Dev3=3 - lower 64 OBC's

You might also try an extender to speed up macro execution with your Ch+/- workaround for power On. It may then be fast enough that you don't notice it.

Also on some Philips TV's you can turn them on from off with the numeral keys or numeral keys+enter.

John, AFAIK only Marantz uses RC5x commands for discrete power. I have seen a ccf file for a Philips TV that used RC6:0:61 for power off, so it is possible that RC6:0:63 would be On. I also believe that some newer Philips TV's may recognize both RC5 and RC6 commands.

Based on posts here and at RC, it seems like Philips has been very inconsistent with both the availability of discrete commands and the actual commands (device/OBC) that vary from model to model.
kevinallein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created 2 key moves in IR with the EFC's 018 and 088. Both definitely don't do anything. But strange enough just programming the remote to 0054 generates the right code to turn the TV off. What am I missing here ?

Kevin
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

I don't think you are missing anything. Philips is very inconsistent with it's commands. If the power button in TV_0054 works as a discrete off, then that is probably better than no discrete commands.

If none of my other suggestions worked for an "On" only command then I think you should try using an extender if one exists for your remote. Extenders dramatically increase macro execution time.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
Extenders dramatically increase macro execution time.

Your meaning was obvious to most of us, but your typo might confuse someone.

Extenders dramatically increase macro execution SPEED.
Extenders dramatically DECREASE macro execution time.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John. I go away for a week and forget everything!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: