JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Speedfan doesn't like IR.exe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Speedfan doesn't like IR.exe Reply with quote

Hello,

I have Speedfan running on my PC to keep it cool and quiet (it adapts the fan(s) speed according to temperature measurements).

As soon as I start IR (parallel port, $378), Speedfan receives weird temperature measurements (all temps at 0°C), making it stop all fans, which can be hazardous Surprised ....

Restarting Speedfan, makes it measure the good temps again, but as soon as IR tries to communicate via the parallel port, the temps are lost again.

I am not sure where the problem lies between Speedfan and IR. It is clear that Speedfan must do low level accesses to some motherboard registers, but I was wondering what kind of low level manipulation IR was doing, apart from accessing the parallel port, that could explain the conflict ?

Alain
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's no way to tell what IR is doing without hearing from Mark or looking at the source. But IR uses porttalk (which you can download from here) to get the needed low level access to the parallel port. So you could use the wrapper application (called allowio.exe) to do some testing.

For example,

C:\allowio.exe 0x378 0x278 0x3BC notepad.exe would give access to the there parallel ports that IR uses then launch notepad (just as a placeholder). If that caused problems with Speedfan, you could eliminate the ports one by one until you found the culprit. It's also possible that IR.exe is using porttalk to get access to all ports. In that case:

C:\allowio.exe /a notepad.exe

would also allow all ports.

I wonder what would happen if you ran allowio.exe and used it to launch IR. Would that override the ports that IR opens by default?
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Launching AllowIo disturbs SpeedFan regardless of the address(es) that are used, so the conflict seems to be between SpeedFan and PortTalk rather than SpeedFan and IR.

Alain
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: