JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Capturing Learned Codes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Capturing Learned Codes Reply with quote

Am having a heck of a time trying to collect information from a dlp projector remote (ViewSonic PJ-250)

Have captured several commands, but others either fail or appear to lockup the universal remote.

The learned DVD L1-L4 codes in http://bevhoward.com/stuff/8910-1.ir are from the PJ-250 remote.

I have also tried to used HIP and while it seems to capture codes from other remotes, the light on the ir dongle lights, but the capture from the PJ-250 is never triggered.

Any suggestions on how to best capture from this remote?

Can anyone point me to a reference on how one of the captured codes is structured.

NEC1 is the "protocol" and the device/subdevice is specific to a single brand/remote?

Thanks,
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The signals that you were able to capture al show NEC1, device 134, sub-device 21, so you can certainly get an upgrade started using those. If you are unable to capture the rest of the buttons, you could always create several upgrades that contain all of the OBCs from 000 thru 255 and then test the buttons to see what they do. Hey, you may even discover some functions that aren't on the original remote!
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any wisdom on why a code that took a couple of seconds to "learn" would keep the led lit for a minute or more when the L-x buttton is pressed?

Thanks,
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
any wisdom on why a code that took a couple of seconds to "learn" would keep the led lit for a minute or more when the L-x buttton is pressed?

Thanks,

Whenever you have a question like this, I can tell you in advance what our answer will be...

"Post your IR file so we can take a look"

Then tell us which button to look at.

Last edited by The Robman on Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get new batteries for the original remote.

I see the nice clean learns on DVD:L1 to L3, and can only guess how those relates to the learns on other keys. The two sleep keys are obviously some other device. The TV:rew key looks like it was learned from an original remote with low batteries. If that was the same original remote as the one you learned the DVD signals from then it definitely had low batteries.

Learning remotes don't handle signals from original remotes with low batteries anywhere near as well as the actual device does. The actual device may reliably decode the signals until the batteries are really dead, while a learning remote will start making serious errors as soon as the transmitting remote has any amount of battery weakness affecting the transmitted signal.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:

Where did that symptom fit in? I assume it was not one of the signals in the .ir file you posted.

If the learning routine fails to detect the repeat pattern of the signal, it will try to store a maximum length one-time sequence of IR bursts. There is a bug we partially understand in OFA's learning routines. It occasionally stores a one-time sequence slightly too large for the data structures it will use later to transmit. Then when the signal is transmitted the corrupts its own register file and starts executing random actions with the led still on. It may then need to be reset by removing batteries or may reset itself by one of its random actions.

I see no signal in your .ir file that could possibly fit the above description, so if the symptom is from one of those, I have no guess.

If the symptom is from one you didn't include, then it's another indication that the original batteries are too weak. The week batteries generate inconsistencies in the repeating signal, so the repeat pattern isn't detected and the learned signal might end up too long to transmit. (There's a lot of data present if the repeat pattern is missed. Half a second is typically enough to go way beyond a maximum signal, if the repeat isn't understood).
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... I am going to have to revisit that learning failure in an attempt to recreate it as it apparently didn't get captured in any of my saved files.

Was fishing for a general answer of what situation leads to that type of symptom, primarily because this one PJ250 remote (and I have two identical units) seem to be very problimatical with respect to learning.

Onward,
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recreated the learned codes transmission time problem.

ir file at http://bevhoward.com/stuff/C6-LrnProb1.ir

Cinema 6 jp1 remote (tested with fresh batteries in both remotes)

Codes listed are same as identical learned scans learned under TV

TV learned buttons transmit in a fraction of a second

VCR learned buttons all transmit for 7-8 seconds

VCR is Lasco Fan which had a required protocol loaded.

This is not a problem, however I need to learn what is going on. i.e. is a key with a protocol a problem with learned codes?

Thanks,
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but curiosity is killing me. I also want to learn from John Very Happy
You can rule out trouble with the 6800. I just pushed the image it into my 7800. Identical behavior. The LED stays lit for about 8sec on each of the learned signals in VCR mode but not in TV mode.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bug in the older OFA remotes. You can't use a learned signal in a device mode that also has a protocol upgrade.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: First update posted Reply with quote

Just uploaded first update file for the Viewsonic PJ250 projector.

Seems to work... I have to say that the first time through the process is enough to stop the faint hearted... I know a lot more, esp how to setup for the next one. Have a bundle of notes as well.

file is at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1918

Comments and criticism welcomed... tomorrow I should be recovered enough to take it ;-)

>> interference with protocol <<

as I suspected... thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: