JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Attempted my first upgrade. Utter failure. Extremely sad.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is getting too confusing, so I'm going to take a step back to the beginning and try and re-trace the steps taken. Michael has provided us with his IR file and he has told us which KM file he got the upgrade from. I have downloaded both and compared the data, so I can tell that he didn't make any changes to the button assignments, so they are all as the original user specified them in the KM file.

I guess the first question is this, what is the model number of your Pioneer receiver? Is it really a VSX-1014TX? If it is, great, if it isn't, please tell us what model you have.

skillethome wrote:
I've read JP1 for Beginners.

But have you read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/

skillethome wrote:
At the top in Keymap Master, it says: "Enter 4 Device Codes. Use '1', '2', '3' or '4' as 'byte2' to specify Device. OBC-style Button Codes preferred." I have no idea at all what that means.

re: http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/#5

Help Doc wrote:
Well, I agree that there sure is a lot of hex data all over the place, but you'll be pleased to know that the only part of this screen that you need to worry about at this point is the one circled in red (in Image 4).

skillethome wrote:
When I uploaded, it worked ... sort of. Many of the functions are now there, but most are NOT on the keys they say they will be in KM. And a few are totally missing. For example, it has not assigned any button to transfer my tuner to DVD.

Could you please tell us which functions appear to be on the wrong buttons? According to the KM file, the REWIND button will select your DVD input. However, as John pointed out, you have a keymove programmed to the REWIND button in AUD mode, which would over-ride the DVD select function.

skillethome wrote:
What causes the wrong buttons to be assigned and a few to be missing?

The most likely cause is if you change the device type in IR.exe, which I think we have ruled out already. Another cause would be if you select the wrong remote in KM, which we have also ruled out, so at this point our best guess is that it is your keymoves.

skillethome wrote:
And if there is a specific function on the original Pioneer remote control that I want to get onto the 6131 -- in this case, ADV. SURR and AUTO SURR -- is there a way I can do that?

Both of these functions are included in the KM file that you downloaded (they're on lines #68 and #70 of the Functions sheet). As described in the Help doc, you can assign these to the buttons of your choice in the Buttons sheet. The "auto surround" function wasn't assigned to a button by the original user, but the "advance surround" should be found on the SUBTITLE button. However, just like with the REWIND button, you have a keymove programmed to the SUBTITLE button which will over-ride this function.

Regarding the keymoves, the ones programmed using the Audio/0300 code aren't valid for the URC-6131 remote, so I don't know what they will end up doing. The ones programmed using the Audio/0013 code will probably do something, but not what you would expect.

I looked up the keymoves that were programmed using the Audio/0013 code and compared the codes to what I have in my Pioneer Master List and here's what I think they will do:

OBC URC-6131 - function
064 select - ADV Concert / DSP
065 play - Rear Level Up
121 record - (unknown)
127 rewind - (unknown)
128 up arrow - arrow up
skillethome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtakahar wrote:

There are keymoves on 0, Subtitle, Play, Select, REC, Rewind and Up in the AUD mode. Those keys will send the signals whatever assigned on them instead of what's defined in the Pioneer device upgrade you added.

Bingo. You're a genius. I deleted those and the keys now work. Awesome! Very Happy
skillethome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman --

Wow. You really went the extra mile with that post. And it paid off!
My upgrade is now working perfectly. Thank you so much for your time and effort. This stuff is finally starting to sink in. I went into the Buttons sheet and assigned AUTO SURR. It works! Very Happy

One thought, which you may choose to use or ignore: In your very well-written "JP1 - Just How Easy Is It?" primer, one line that threw me is the last directive of the section "How Do You Load an Upgrade": You wrote, "Don't forget to assign the new setup code that you created to an actual device button!" You might want to clarify that. As a beginner, I had no idea what you were talking about there. Once I finally grasped that yesterday and made that change, that's when the uprade actually began working on my URC 6131, with the exception of those keymoved buttons that I finally just deleted a few moments ago with excellent results.

You guys kind of have me hooked on this stuff. I was satisfied with the limited functions of my other home electronic equipment on the 6131, but now I might start fiddling with those, too. Hope you guys don't mind some more questions in a separate thread. I'll try not to be so dense next time.
Embarassed
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillethome wrote:
One thought, which you may choose to use or ignore: In your very well-written "JP1 - Just How Easy Is It?" primer, one line that threw me is the last directive of the section "How Do You Load an Upgrade": You wrote, "Don't forget to assign the new setup code that you created to an actual device button!" You might want to clarify that. As a beginner, I had no idea what you were talking about there.

Well, if you can think of a clearer way to say it, let me know, because I can't.
skillethome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
skillethome wrote:
One thought, which you may choose to use or ignore: In your very well-written "JP1 - Just How Easy Is It?" primer, one line that threw me is the last directive of the section "How Do You Load an Upgrade": You wrote, "Don't forget to assign the new setup code that you created to an actual device button!" You might want to clarify that. As a beginner, I had no idea what you were talking about there.

Well, if you can think of a clearer way to say it, let me know, because I can't.

First of all, we aren't "creating" a new setup code, are we? Doesn't that code just pop up in KM as soon as you load the upgrade text? In my case, it was 1023. Here's the language that would have made me understand that I needed to enter that number next to AUD in the IR Device Buttons field:

"Don't forget to assign the new Setup Code to an actual device button in IR. That means going into the General tab of IR, clicking on the correct Device Button and making that Code Number match the Setup Code number that's in the upper left hand corner of KM.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillethome wrote:
First of all, we aren't "creating" a new setup code, are we? Doesn't that code just pop up in KM as soon as you load the upgrade text? In my case, it was 1023. Here's the language that would have made me understand that I needed to enter that number next to AUD in the IR Device Buttons field:

"Don't forget to assign the new Setup Code to an actual device button in IR. That means going into the General tab of IR, clicking on the correct Device Button and making that Code Number match the Setup Code number that's in the upper left hand corner of KM.

It sounds like you should answer some questions from new users. That will give you a chance to try out your new language.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skillethome wrote:
First of all, we aren't "creating" a new setup code, are we? Doesn't that code just pop up in KM as soon as you load the upgrade text? In my case, it was 1023.

Actually, that's exactly what we are doing. Where do you think the KM upgrade file that you used came from? Someone here created it, probably following the directions in my help doc.

In this case, the user used the official UEI setup code (which is good practice) but they were free to chose any setup code number that they liked in the range 0000 thru 2047.

skillethome wrote:
Here's the language that would have made me understand that I needed to enter that number next to AUD in the IR Device Buttons field:

While I agree that this does spell it out to a greater level of detail, the doc is already much longer than I would have liked it to be, and if I was to spell every step out to that level of detail, it would probably be double the size. Besides, I had already gone over that sort of thing in the "4. How Do You Use IR.exe" section.

Anyway, now that you're starting to figure it out, maybe you can stick around to help other newbies out as it's hard for us veterans to predict what step is going to trip up each newbie. Most people just jump in and figure it out without ever posting a question, but for the rest, there's this forum with the helpful folks in it.

Just FYI, most of the experts here have been JP1-ing for nearly 5 years now! The official birthday of JP1 is Friday October 6, 2000 at 02:48 am.
skillethome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I can try to help. But remember, I'm pretty clueless about this stuff. I'm going to keep tweaking my 6131 and asking naive questions, if you don't mind.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: