JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Keymove Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Keymove Problem Reply with quote

Trying to assign the receiver volume keys to the dvd combo with no success. The remote lite lites, the keys work whe the revr device is selected.

I was able to use the "key move" to add the DVD and VCR selection keys to the same device key.

The only difference I can see is that the success was with keys that were not assigned by the update and the failure assign was to keys that had assignments in the update.

The efc values shown were gleaned from KM with the rcvr update loaded.

Any Guidance would be appreciated... otherwise, it has been a very successful day.

"Key Move" tab screensnap follows;

http://bevhoward.com/stuff/ir1.gif
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most experts would rather see your actual IR file instead of a screen shot, as we can easily re-create the screen shot just be opening your file in IR, but in addition we can se what else you've done.

If the goal here is simply to have the volume buttons always punch through to the receiver, you can use the VPT (volume punch through) feature for that.

I can't comment on why the keymoves don't work as I don't know what the CBL/1300 upgrade looks like.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

>> would rather see your actual IR file ... <<

IR file is at http://bevhoward.com/stuff/Cinema6-7-05d.ir

>> VPT (Volume Punch Through) <<

I am trying to avoid VPT as two other devices (X10 and XM Radio) each use the volume buttons for their own needs.

With the Cinema 6 there is the option to simply undefine the vol/mute keys in the DVD as the keys not used by the DVD retain their exisiting defs. This does not seem to be an option on the 8910

>> notes <<

As you can see, I tried removing the Vol/Mute functions from the DVD update but that did not help, so, begin to suspect the values that I have for the Pioneer (1300) buttons

>> loaded update files <<

PioneerVSX3800.txt
Samsung_DVD-V3650.txt
Delphi SkyFi XM Radio - SAT_0730.txt
Lasko_column_fan_KM.txt (includes a protocol)

Thanks for your attention to this.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:

IR file is at

So now we can see the main problem is that CBL/1300 uses two byte hex commands, but you created the KeyMoves using EFC numbers.

If a setup code uses single byte Hex Commands, you can use your choice of EFC or Hex Command when creating the KeyMoves. But if each Hex Command is more than one Byte long, KeyMoves must be created using Hex commands, not EFCs. (Note that on some newer models you can use 5-digit EFCs instead of two byte hex commands, but not on this model).

bevhoward wrote:
I am trying to avoid VPT as two other devices (X10 and XM Radio) each use the volume buttons for their own needs.

With a good enough understanding of VPT, you can often fine tune such details. For example, VPT is disabled for any device mode in which the current device type doesn't match the default device type.

But since you're not short of KeyMove memory, it's probably simpler to just set up the KeyMoves correctly.

bevhoward wrote:

With the Cinema 6 there is the option to simply undefine the vol/mute keys in the DVD as the keys not used by the DVD retain their exisiting defs. This does not seem to be an option on the 8910

I have no clue what you mean (what you think is accomplished in a Cinema 6 by undefining the vol/mute keys).

It sounds like you're describing something similar to the operation of Transport Punch Through in the 6800 and 7800. There it does depend on whether the current device mode defines the transport keys. But I don't think VPT works that way in any model.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> Use Hex Codes <<

Thanks, will revisit that as I began the keymove process using hex codes (two values) but that didn't work either.

It was confusing as the update file (loaded in KM) showed both efc and hex values... when the hex didn't work, switched to efc not knowing it was device dependant.

>> I have no clue what you mean (what you think is accomplished in a Cinema 6 by undefining the vol/mute keys) <<

On the older OneForAll devices, when moving from one device key to another, if current device key had buttons which were "[not mapped]" those buttons retained their previous assignments... for example, the VCR "play, etc" controls would continue to work when the TV button was selected.

By removing the VOL and MUTE assignments from the Samsung_DVD-V3650.txt update (which I didn't need) the RCVR device VOL/MUTE button assignments remain assigned when I then select the DVD button.

Again, thanks for your help and patience.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
I began the keymove process using hex codes (two values) but that didn't work either.

Then that would be the .ir file I would need to see in order to maybe deduce what is wrong (I'm not very expert in the Pioneer upgrade issues, so if it turns out to be some Pioneer issue, you'll probably need more help from Rob).

bevhoward wrote:

On the older OneForAll devices, when moving from one device key to another, if current device key had buttons which were "[not mapped]" those buttons retained their previous assignments... for example, the VCR "play, etc" controls would continue to work when the TV button was selected.

That is the "Transport Punch Through" feature I mentioned. Even on those OFA models that have it, it is not the general feature you thought you observed. It is limited to the six transport keys and limited to certain device modes. It does not apply to vol keys. Your example is correct, VCR Play can carry into TV mode when Play is undefined in TV mode. But the general rule you inferred from that example is not correct.

bevhoward wrote:

By removing the VOL and MUTE assignments from the Samsung_DVD-V3650.txt update (which I didn't need) the RCVR device VOL/MUTE button assignments remain assigned when I then select the DVD button.

I don't think that's correct.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> ir file with hex attempts <<

Will attack this tonight and post the IR if I am not successful.

>> I don't think that's correct. <<

Guess it's just one of those situations where if I believe hard enough that it works, my brain re-arranges reality so it meets my needs... at least until I get the keymove sorted out. <grin>

You are correct that it does not work on the 8910, only on the Cinema6

NBD, it's a temp fix anyway... was just trying to clarify.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the keymoves and the confusion over what format to use, if you let KM program the keymoves for you, the confusion goes away.

Regarding the VPT stuff, to elaborate on what John said, if you create upgrades for your X10 and XM Radio and you create those upgrades using the "wrong" device mode for the device buttons that you're using, you will intentionally break VPT under each of those device buttons.

For example, let's assume that you're using the CBL button for your XM Radio, if you create an upgrade using the VCR device mode (for example), VPT won't work for the CBL device button, which means when you use the volume buttons in CBL mode, they will control the XM Radio and not the Pioneer stereo receiver.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> break things <<

I understand the caution and will proceed with your information on the hope that things will continue to clarify.

I'm going to concentrate on the keymove understanding tonight and when that is addressed, the update mod will not be an issue.

I will probably come back and address this specific issue when I have a better grasp of the principals... which I don't have at the moment even though I have made a lot of progress in the last 36 hours.

fwiw, I'm not as concerned about "breaking" things as I am about learning... I'm keeping a good history of IR files for a quick revert as well as getting comfortable loading updates for practice.

I am looking forward to being able to generate updates as I have a couple of controls (ViewSonic PJ250 projector and Sony cmt-cpx1 compact audio) for which I have been unable to find update files which work with them.

Thanks again to all who have responded,
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> break things <<

I'm not 100% sure that you understand what I was getting at, so I'll elaborate.

One of the limitations of the VPT feature is that if you assign a setup code to a device button where the device modes don't work, the VPT feature will not work under this device button.

So, while this would normally be considered a pointless limitation of the VPT feature, the main point that John and I were trying to make is that you can use this limitation to your advantage.

In the more recent UEI remotes, they give you the ability to select which device buttons you want to participate in the VPT feature, but in older remotes like your Cinema 6 (which is model URC-6800, btw) they don't give you such control.

This is why we are suggesting that you use the device mode limitation to decide whether a device button participates in the VPT or not.

Bottom line: If you want the CBL button to be VPT-active, make sure that you assign a "cable" code to it, and if you want it to be VPT inactive, make sure you assign some other type of code to it (ie, TV, VCR or Audio).
bevhoward

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
>> device mode <<

I (think) I understand about 60%-70% of your tech posts and the last message is very clear on what you are explaining.

Please understand that JP1 has been a _very_ steep learning curve for me over the last week plus... fwiw, I actually surprised myself that I even got this far, so, what I was trying to say is that my learning input is too overloaded at the moment to be able to afford to put attention on something (VPT) that is not currently a priority... it's on my (very long) list.

I feel, however, that it is a priority to first fully understand all of the principals and options of keymoves, especially since 50% of my attempts to impliment them under JP1 so far have failed, so I think I need to experience a few more successes in order to feel comfortable.

Quote:
>> if you create upgrades for your X10 and XM Radio and you create those upgrades using the "wrong" device mode for the device buttons that you're using, you will intentionally break VPT under each of those device buttons. <<

You flatter me... from what I can see, I am nowhere near "creating" and update, even understanding one. X10 is built in (0167) and XM Radio came out of the files section unmodified.

Thanks for sticking with me and hope you understand how difficult this learning process is for me. This thread is already in my PocketPC "reference" file.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
You flatter me... from what I can see, I am nowhere near "creating" and update, even understanding one. X10 is built in (0167) and XM Radio came out of the files section unmodified.

I do feel that you're missing out on a simple concept while to try to grasp the more difficult ones though. Using your example, you are using the HOME/0167 setup code to work your X10 box. "Home Automation" is a "CD" type device code, so if you assign that built in code to a non-CD device button, you will break VPT (which is what you want to do). As for the XM Radio upgrade, right below the box where you changed the remote selection to whatever remote you are using, you will see a Device Mode selection box. If you select a device mode that is incompatible with whatever device button you intend to use, voila, you'll have broken VPT again. In which case you can set the global VPT to your Pioneer receiver without it affecting your XM Radio and your X10 IR543 box.

As for the keymove issue itself, KM and RM both give you the ability to define the keymoves right there in the upgrade file, which means you can assign "functions" to buttons rather than EFCs or hex codes, which I'm guessing is simpler.

When you are working with an upgrade, there are 2 types of keymoves to consider.

The first occur when you assign functions to buttons that are not part of the selected device mode, this will generate keymoves that will be attached to whichever device button you assign the upgrade to.

The second are for when you want to assign functions from this upgrade to buttons in other device modes, to do this in KM you'd use the "Keymoves" tab. This is how you would setup those volume keymoves if you were to go this route.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keymove Frustrations Update

====from within IR====

Finally, success by manually entering RCVR volume control moves to DVD/LD from within IR.

Feel that I followed the same steps today that failed several days ago...

====from within KM====

Success here also... but am glad I did the above first as I am clearer on the steps than I would have been had I started with KM

Course it took me about a dozen or so tries to discover the "Import" button on the IR-KMoves tab ;-)

Onward to new questions and challenges... will start new thread(s)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: