JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I return my URC 8910?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csete

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Should I return my URC 8910? Reply with quote

I bought a URC 8910 two weeks ago and have programmed it with JP1. It is close to being correctly set up, but the buttons just don't seem to work very well at all. I can't figure out if it is the buttons themselves or if the remote is just really slow or weak. I was ready to return it today, but thought it was worth asking here if there is some way to solve this problem? I've looked at the extender and that looks very complex, but if it would make the remote work better, I could consider the extender. The 6131 looks interesting, but I'm not sure I want to spend the time/money to do all of the hardware upgrades on that remote to make it JP1 capable.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks,
Craig
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the problem is that the button sheet is not making good contact with the circuit board, and this is a new remote, I would exchange it for a new one (if you're still within the return period). This is not normal.

If you can't return the remote, you could try opening it and cleaning the circuit board.

Installing the extender software won't make any difference to how well the remote works.

If you're interested in a JP1 ready URC-6131, you can buy them ready made from Surf Remote Control and replaytv.us.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you take the remote apart and push the emitter out further from the case. It help's the performance of remote 100%.
csete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traded the URC 8910 for a brand new one and I'm still not getting very good performance from the keys. I can't really figure out what is going on. I have not messed with the emitter and I'm a bit afraid to do that if I'm going to cause it to not be returnable. Any other ideas why this would work so poorly?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try a different, fresh set of batteries?
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
csete

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will give new batteries a try (although the others should have been fresh).

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to open up a URC-8910? How tough would it be to get the emitter further out of the casing?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends, if you have the first version with donut ring, its a bi*ch getting fingers of the membrane back into the donut ring. If you have second version with separate cursor keys, no problem at all. To open start at the bottom of the of the remote, once you pry it open, slip an old credit card and slide iit around popping the catches. You just have to move the emitter, an eighth of an inch or so. I have done it half a dozen times.
csete

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get the emitter further out of the remote and things seem to be better. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: