JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Frustration with JP1...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neals

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Frustration with JP1... Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been posted already. I have a 9960B01. Is there any way possible to rig the jp1 cable and pogo pin adapter w/o soldering it? I cant seem to hold the thing in place to get anything going with IR.exe. Please help.

Thanks.

Is there some trick to getting the 9960 apart? If i do that maybe i could do the needed soldering but i cant seem to do that w/o mutilating the remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really have a pogo-pin adapter as opposed to just a small 6-pin header? The only alternative to using the pogo is to solder a 6-pin in place and then hot glue it for extra support. I've described the process several times so you should be able to find the description via a search.

Taking it apart is tricky but it can be done, though I'm not sure how best to describe how to do it.
neals

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, its only a header. Does Radio Shack carry them?
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neals wrote:
Your right, its only a header. Does Radio Shack carry them?

Radio Shack doesn't sell either a 6 pin header or the Pogo pin adapter. You can buy header pins from electronics supply stores, but the pogo pin adapter is custom made for JP1. For that check out the sellers listed in the Marketplace Group.
neals

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I think i may want to take a stab at soldering on the 6 pin header. Would you happen to know how to take apart the 9960 to gain access to the ckt board?

Thanks in advance.
Neal.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I will be able to explain how to open the 9960 clearly enough, but here goes:

There are several clips along the sides of the remote, if you slide a thin blade or screwdriver into the crack along the side, you should be able to pop open the closest clip. Once this is done, try sliding a plastic putty knife (or an old credit card) along the opening to pop open the remaining clips.

Once the remote is open, you'll see that there's a black plastic framework attached to the PCB. There's no need to remove this.

Next you should apply some flux to the 6 pads and to the pins of the 6-pin header (but don't use too much), then position the 6-pin in place on the pads. I use a pair of tweezers to hold the 6-pin in place so that it doesn't move during the soldering, but use whatever works for you. Then, while holding the 6-pin in place, solder the pins to the pads. It might be a good idea to do the corner pins first to hold the 6-pin in place while you do the others. The space is cramped because of the framework but it can be done.

Once all the pins are soldered, go back a re-do them to make sure you've got a nice clean solder joint on each of them.

Then, get a hot glue gun and put glue all around the base of the 6-pin so that it's not just the solder holding it in place. If you used excessive flux, you should probably clean that up first as it will prevent the glue from bonding with the PCB.
neals

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob and thanks for the info. I did get the 9960 apart based on your instructions. But I must admit after turning 40 i cant see well enough to do a decent soldering job Smile Anyway, after noticing it would take me next to a miracle to do this, I put everything back together and contacted Bluedo to see if they'll send me a Pogo adapter. Of course this will take time and i couldnt wait. So, I just went out and bought a 2116 from radio shack. Slapped the batteries in and cant even get the display to show code set or anything else for that matter. Since it had the jp1 6pin already there i figured let me see if i could read anything off the remote. I just keep getting that the interface doesnt recognize the port from IR.EXE. The jp1 cable is hooked up using the parallel port and i tried the cable on 2 pc's already. Im starting to think im in way over my head on this. I used to think i was computer saavy but sheesh! Anyway, if you or anybody out there could lend a suggestion on how to test the cable (if thats even possible) i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again.
neals

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, disregard some of my last post. I figured out it wasnt the JP1 cable but just the orientation of pin1 with respect to the ckt bd. Seems like the cable does work but i returned the 2116 to RS because it was faulty. Anyway, Im going to see if a friend can help me solder in a header to the 9960. If not, are you the person i could send the remote to to have a header soldered in? (obviously i know there's a fee Smile

thanks again,
Neal.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to sell modified URC-9960 remotes, but due to the amount of time it was taking up I dropped out of that business, however, if you make me an attractive enough offer I might consider fixing up your remote for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: