JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Word wrap in messages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zackark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Word wrap in messages Reply with quote

This question is not in the nature of a complaint, just curiosity.

There seems to have been a change in the forum recently in the minimum width of the window in which the entire message can be read. I am a member of a nerd-out.com forum which uses the same phpBB software. When in the nerd-out forum, I can see the entire message (the message wraps in the window). When I switch to the JP1 forum, I have to increase my window width about 30% to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar and see the entire message.

Is there a setting in the software which sets the minimum window width without horizontal scroll bars?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that as well. In almost every message I have to horizontal scroll extreme right to read messages. this virtually cuts off the "author" portion.

I did notice that some things exxacerbates this. for instance, when "Lenroc" had a HUGE windows flag in his signature, every one of his messages required scrolling back and forth to read messages. Since he's reduced the size, it's gotten much better. Huge links also used to do this. I think Rob made some adjustments, but perhaps a little bit more would help, if there's any adjustment left.
Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change was un-intentional, it occurred when I added the banner ad to the bottom of the page. I just changed the code a little and now the banner doesn't affect the width of the page.

Thanks for pointing it out, I much use wide enough windows that I hadn't noticed.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pages appear to be optimized for a display size of 800x600. Large images and long links can and do cause the displayed page to expand beyond the limits of even 1024x768. If a long url link has no spaces in it, the word wrap logic doesn't always break it at an approriate place. I'm not sure if there's anything Rob can do about that.

The problem with long links can usually be solved by using the url= formatting tag instead of just pasting a long url into a message. It's usage is explained here (which is significantly smaller and more page-friendly than http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/faq.php?mode=bbcode#8 ).
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

The change you made worked great, no more lower horizontal scroll bar for this series of posts. Thanks!!!! Smile I am and have been set at 800x600.

Jim
Ellen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when "Lenroc" had a HUGE windows flag in his signature

Speaking of this, is there an option to turn off display of signatures? I didn't see anything in the profile settings. I'd rather not see "cute" little pictures in every post, especially in a long thread where the person posts multiple times.

Quote:
If a long url link has no spaces in it, the word wrap logic doesn't always break it at an approriate place.

Other web forum software (like Vbulletin for example) automatically abbreviates really long URLs. Perhaps some changes can be made to the phpBB software to do something similar. I've found that few ppl ever seem to use the URL tag to shorten those monster links that they post.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellen wrote:
I've found that few ppl ever seem to use the URL tag to shorten those monster links that they post.

Yeah, but when I spot them, I edit their posts and shorten them myself, especially when they cause the forum to go extra wide!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: