JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR6 RS 15-2116 Upload time syncing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
picree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: IR6 RS 15-2116 Upload time syncing Reply with quote

Maybe it's my setup. IR6.0 seems to upload a little differently than IR5.x. For one, it goes faster (I see the setting to slow it down...which I've tried). But at the end of the upload (15-2116 ext. 3) the power button on the 15-2116 (the one to push to initiate the extension in the eprom) does nothing. None of the buttons on the remote will function until...I can't get the remote to say "SUCCESS" until after I disconnect the JP1 interface.

With IR5.x I use to be able to initiate the extender in the remote before unpluggin the JP1...and I seem to remember that this also syncs the remote clock w/ the computer clock.

The upload still seems to work but I wonder, does it still synchronize the time with the computer time?

Curt
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: IR6 RS 15-2116 Upload time syncing Reply with quote

picree wrote:
Maybe it's my setup. IR6.0 seems to upload a little differently than IR5.x. For one, it goes faster (I see the setting to slow it down...which I've tried). But at the end of the upload (15-2116 ext. 3) the power button on the 15-2116 (the one to push to initiate the extension in the eprom) does nothing. None of the buttons on the remote will function until...I can't get the remote to say "SUCCESS" until after I disconnect the JP1 interface.

I'm pretty sure the speed isn't a factor. The problem you describe occurs because the voltage on the reset connection from the printer port is too low to let the 2116 out of reset mode until you disconnect. But that leaves the question of why it worked before and fails now.

Did you keep a copy of IR5.x? Does that version still work?

Usually this symptom is very sensitive to the battery voltage in the remote. That voltage may have changed but if that's the important factor then 5.x would have also stopped controlling reset correctly.

I'm not sure what state IR.EXE leaves SDA and SCL when it finishes an upload. If the voltage were borderline, that would be a factor. I doubt that changed from version 5 to version 6 but some other expert will know for sure.

picree wrote:

With IR5.x I use to be able to initiate the progam in the remote before unpluggin the JP1...and I seem to remember that this also syncs the remote clock w/ the computer clock.

The upload still seems to work but I wonder, does it still synchronize the time with the computer time?

I'm not sure exactly how the time sync works. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't directly require that the cable still be connected. Its accuracy probably does require that the end of the reset signal occur consistently quickly after the end of upload. So (with reset malfunctioning this way) I'd expect your remote clock to be behind by the length of time from the end of upload until you disconnect the cable.
picree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the focused reply. Yes I still have IR5.x available. The reason for reburning the extender to the eprom was because the batteries needed to be changed (I was hoping that the eprom would hold the program and macros until the batteries were changed but I guess the 15-2116 isn't set up that way Crying or Very sad). So, this entire episode was done w/ fresh remote batteries.

It may likely be the voltage on the port. I didn't note (because I didn't think it mattered) but IR5.x is loaded on my old laptop and IR6.0 is loaded on our new hyper-fast Dell.

If I have a chance tonight I will flip things around and see if the problem stays w/ the computer or with the IR version (probably w/ the computer).

Thanks again for the explanation. It always helps.

Curt
picree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the parallel port on this whiz-bang Dell PC is kinda flaky. I don't suppose there's anything I can do with it but...can you up the voltage or anything on a parallel port? Can IR be adjusted to deal w/ a low voltage port?
mmboost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you press the power button, but have you pressed the default device key first? (I.e. "TV") I upload to the remote, wait for it to finish its business, press the "TV" device button and then "power" and its gives me "SUCCESS", no prob.

jason
picree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that. Haven't read or heard about the need to do that before now...but if it works for you I'll give it a try. I haven't been active on this project for the last four months or so. But thanks for the late reply.

Curt
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is it doesn't matter if you unplug your cable before you can activate the extender, the time will still properly synch if you activate the extender within 1 minute of the upload. If you can't get it to work until after unplugging it, then so be it. It does no harm to unplug and plug back in (when necessary) the cable.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mmboost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picree wrote:
I'll try that. Haven't read or heard about the need to do that before now...but if it works for you I'll give it a try. I haven't been active on this project for the last four months or so. But thanks for the late reply.

Curt

btw - it says to do what I recommended in one of the readme files that come with the ex3 zip file. Forgot to mention this before... I'm no magician, I just read it Wink

jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: