JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Buying a new remote- Home Theater master mx-500 Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yubayogi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Buying a new remote- Home Theater master mx-500 Help Reply with quote

Hey gang-

I was recently surfing around looking on the Tivo forum and I came across the Home Theater Master MX-500 which apparently works well with tivo and feels pretty good.

Why do they sell the mx-500 with the 8811 jp1 remote? Is it because you can program the 8811 and then send the codes to the mx-500 via the infrared deal?

Any help is appreciated. Also how easy is it to set up macros?

Thanks
Scott
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's not a JP1 remote, the best place to get info on the MX-500 is the Home Theater Master forum at RemoteCentral.

As for the bundled 8811, it would be used to teach various commands to the MX-500, typically discretes, special command codes, etc.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MX500 is generally limited to just learning signals from your original remotes, it doesn't have the ability that most One For All remotes have to generate new signals using "advanced codes" (which are popular for creating discrete codes).

When packages with an OFA remote, you can use the OFA to generate the new signals for the MX500 to learn.

Including a JP1 cable is just taking it to the next level. If the OFA remote doesn't have the right netup code for your needs, you can't generate the new signals, which is where the JP1 cable comes into play, because it lets you add new setup codes, etc.

Once you get up to speed programming an OFA with a JP1 cable, you might find that you don't even need the MX500! Smile

Rob
yubayogi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys!

I think I will do more research before I commit. I am shopping in the $100 range and I want something small and easy to use. I am not a huge fan of the big, square lcd type remotes.

Scott
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For small and easy to use, I think your best bet is a urc8011 modified for JP1 and used with a JP1 cable. I think Rob still has some modified 8011s available for sale. I think he also has modified 6011's, which are the same thing with two fewer device keys. Either is way under your price point, but I don't think you'll find anything better at that size even at a much higher price.

Neither 8011 nor 6011 have learning, so you'd need to find data on all your devices somewhere on the internet in order to program them. Between the JP1 group's files and the CCF files at RC there's data on almost all common devices. You need to be trying to control some pretty obscure stuff to really need learning.

The 8811 is like the 8011, but bigger, a few more keys, supports learning, and has the JP1 connector standard, so you just need the cable, you don't need a modification inside the remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's right on all counts. I have modified URC-8011s available for $20 each and URC-6012s for $15 each. Shipping is $2.

Note: the URC-6012 can be made into a virtual 8 device remote with JP1.

You can get ready made JP1 cables for about $20 from either http://www.hovisdirect.com or http://jp1.filebug.com

Rob
http://www.hifi-remote.com
yubayogi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob-

I started looking at the HTM-500 for its Tivo ease of use. The folks on the tivo forum said its very easy to use compared to other universal remotes. WHen I look at your web site your remotes don't look as easy to use. WHat do you think?
Knees1339

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yubayogi wrote:
I started looking at the HTM-500 for its Tivo ease of use. The folks on the tivo forum said its very easy to use compared to other universal remotes. WHen I look at your web site your remotes don't look as easy to use. WHat do you think?

Sorry to preëmpt Rob--I'm sure he'll answer. But I've never gone back to my TiVo remote since programming my RS-1994 to support my SVR-2000 TiVo. It does takes a certain amount of time to get used to any new remote—but you can't beat the UEI-based remotes for subtlety of control, and ease of controlling multiple devices from one location.

Haven't investigated other devices. But when one can get this much control for $20, why would I?
yubayogi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knees1339 Wow if what I have read is even remotely true I have to get one of these! Where did you get yours, I read on remotecentral.com they are discontinued.

Thanks
Scott
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yubayogi wrote:
if what I have read is even remotely true

That's what JP1 is all about!!! Very Happy

Quote:
I read on remotecentral.com they are discontinued.

The 15-1994 is discontinued and very hard to find (those that have 'em don't want to give them up!).

Many of the current models are just as capable as the venerable 1994. Some of the more popular ones are the 15-2116 (29.99 at RadioShack) and URC-8810w (19.64 at most Wal-Mart's).
Knees1339

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yubayogi wrote:
Knees1339 Wow if what I have read is even remotely true I have to get one of these! Where did you get yours, I read on remotecentral.com they are discontinued.

My apologies if my post gave you the wrong idea. But, for instance, I am currently test-driving a URC 8810w from Wal*Mart, and it's every bit as useful with TiVo, if not better.

Seriously, you don't need to buy the expensive stuff.
yubayogi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit off the original subject but any word on the new Radio Shack 15-2113 aka the Kameleon?

Thanks again for all your help, I won't be spending 100's on my new remote thanks to your help.

Scott
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yubayogi wrote:
I know this is a bit off the original subject but any word on the new Radio Shack 15-2113 aka the Kameleon?

Thanks again for all your help, I won't be spending 100's on my new remote thanks to your help.

Scott

Just FYI, the RS Kameleon is model number 15-2133.

IMHO the Kameleons are all flash, great for impressing the babysitter but not designed for the advanced user.

Go with the suggestions here and try out either the RS 15-2116 or the OFA URC-8811 (aka URC-8810w)
yubayogi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Robman-

I will because I realy want to make this decision soon. I am reading about the one-for all 8811 right now. Is there any advantage to the little LCD screens on top of either the 8910 or the 15-2116?

Thanks
Scott
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people who don't really get the idea of a remote having device modes LCD provides feedback to help you understand what's happening.

I assume all of us with remotes with device modes sometimes press a key intending the function of that key in one device mode and it doesn't happen because the remote was left in some other device mode. If you get confused when that happens, then it may help to look at the LCD and see that the device mode isn't what you thought.

Sometimes you just forget the device mode. If the LCD were on all the time, then it could solve that. But if you forgot what device mode the remote is in, it's a good bet that the LCD has had time to turn off. Without an LCD you can just press the device key for the mode you want it to be in rather than struggle to figure out what mode it was in. I don't see how an LCD initially off can beat that simple answer.

I think the LCD just wastes space, weight and cost. Obviously some people prefer LCD, so you understand my opinion is just my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: