JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New upgrades posted with a WARNING
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtrump

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: New upgrades posted with a WARNING Reply with quote

I've just uploaded some upgrades to the Yahoo site but felt I should also post a warning about one of the pieces.

While code searching for discrete functions for a Denon DRA-685P receiver I did something I didn't think was possible. I killed it!

I had already found discrete on & off and other codes that I was searching for. So I was just cruising through the range of EFC codes seeing if I could find anything else that might be useful.

But when I hit EFC 008 (OBC 130), the speakers popped once and the receiver went into "protection" mode. I have tried everything to clear the condition, but it appears to be permanent. I have discussed this with Denon/Marantz and they are sending a replacment unit.

It seems almost inconceivable that an IR code could do this but the system was locked down tight in a rack and I'm very confident of the installation. The failure happened at exactly the moment I entered the code and I can't find any other explanation for the failure.

My theory is that this was some borrowed code from another device that might have allowed some kind of internal connection between output sections. It somehow either blew an output stage or at least got DC onto the ouputs causing the amp to go into protection.

So ........ beware ......... code searching can have undesired results.

Besides the Denon piece, I have posted very thorough codes for a high-end Eiki projector (aka Sanyo) and a combination CD/Cassette from Marantz Pro.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about you killing your amp, but those are the risks we take when we go code searching. It's normally more of a problem for TV sets and very rarely with amps, but I guess you've got one of the exceptions.

Please include a warning about this code in your upgrade.

Is this upgrade similar to an existing UEI setup code? If so, I'd like to add a warning about that EFC in my Advanced Code section.
dtrump

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Is this upgrade similar to an existing UEI setup code? If so, I'd like to add a warning about that EFC in my Advanced Code section.

No. It didn't resemble anything else I had been able to find. I created it from scratch.

And this was a system I was installing/programming for a client, not mine personally.

The good news is that the folks at Marantz/Denon Professional are standing behind the product. They feel that it shouldn't be possible to do that so are replacing the unit. Good company! I will provide them with info to be able to research the cause.

Dick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the same guys (D&M) who stepped in and purchased ReplayTV and hopefully will be able to take it beyond a geeky toy into the mainsteam.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
The Robman wrote:

No. It didn't resemble anything else I had been able to find. I created it from scratch.

I just took a peek at your upgrade, it's a match to RCVR/0004 that can be found in most of the older UEI remotes. It has been replaced by RCVR/1160 in the newer remotes, which is a combo of 0004 and 0160.
dtrump

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I just took a peek at your upgrade, it's a match to RCVR/0004 that can be found in most of the older UEI remotes. It has been replaced by RCVR/1160 in the newer remotes, which is a combo of 0004 and 0160.

I'm not surprised that I missed something. I assume that I did at least fill in the discrete On/Off codes. I'd hate to think I crashed that piece for nothing.

I spent most of my time dealing with the Eiki and Marantz pieces. And I was doing this away from my JP1 machine. I had to test on site but make changes at home. I've got a new laptop now that I'll load up w/JP1 stuff which will make it easier.

Dick
sfhub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
it's a match to RCVR/0004 that can be found in most of the older UEI remotes. It has been replaced by RCVR/1160 in the newer remotes, which is a combo of 0004 and 0160.

Were you saying it is a match from a protocol and fixed data/device code standpoint? The EFCs don't seem to match unless I was looking at the
wrong thing.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/3.%20Device%20Codes/Audio/Denon%20DRA-685P.txt

http://hifi-remote.com/codes2/amp_0004.shtml
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was comparing to the EFCs that are assigned to the buttons with the RCVR/0004 code. The volume and power buttons match, and several of the codes on the numeric buttons match the input select codes in the upgrade file.
sfhub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think either my vision is going, I am not looking at the same file as
you, or I'm just confused. I loaded the DRA-685P upgrade file above
from dtrump into KM and here is how it compares to RCVR/0004.

Code:

EFC/dtrump      EFC/rcvr/0004    EFC/rcvr/0160
CD            224             074               027
FM            222             070               023
VDP           099             072               152
VCR           096             075               151
V-Aux         220             068               155
Phono         226             133               020
vol up        159                               054
vol down      163                               056
mute          156                               058
Power         098
Power On      130                               246
Power Off     192                               248
dtrump

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some further info on the DRA-685, I find that Denon does have the IR codes posted on their web site. It can be found at http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/dra685ir.pdf

I find it interesting that the OBC codes are displaced by 64 from what I found by my work. IOW, my OBC list for the OFA remotes have Vol Down at 076 and Vol Up at 077. Subtract 64 from those and you get 12 and 13 respectively. Those are the numbers to be found in the Denon list.

Another interesting thing is that I cannot see any difference in Denon's descriptions for the main output control and the "Multi" buttons which perform different funtions on the unit. Apparently there is some info missing on Denon's list.

The offending code that caused the unit to crash was OBC 130 which would be equivalent to Denon 66. This is beyond the range of the Denon list which stops at 63. I wish I had discovered this list prior to my trial and ERROR method.

Dick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:
I think either my vision is going, I am not looking at the same file as you, or I'm just confused.

Here are the EFCs that are assigned to buttons in the 15-1994 when you program the RCVR/0004 setup code (available for viewing using the devices4.xls spreadsheet) ...

Code:
EFC Button/Function
224 0
222 1
099 2
092 3
096 4
093 5
223 6
225 7
220 8
226 9
159 Vol UP
163 Vol DOWN
156 MUTE
089 Channel UP
087 Channel DOWN
098 POWER
221 TV/VIDEO
155 MENU
127 Arrow UP
129 Arrow DOWN
194 Arrow LEFT
061 Arrow RIGHT
227 SELECT
064 SLEEP
192 EXIT
190 SURR

Here are the functions and EFCs from the upgrade file...

Code:
EFC Functions
224 CD
222 FM
099 VDP
096 VCR
220 V-Aux
226 Phono
227 Tape Monitor
128 Speaker A
126 Speaker B
063 Multi - Out
159 vol up
163 vol down
156 mute
098 power
130 Power On
192 Power Off

As you can see, the volume and power buttons match and if you look at the numeric buttons...

0 = CD
1 = FM
2 = VDP
4 = VCR
8 = V-Aux
9 = Phono
dtrump

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Here are the EFCs that are assigned to buttons in the 15-1994 when you program the RCVR/0004 setup code (available for viewing using the devices4.xls spreadsheet) ...
There are definitely some codes in common but also some in 004 that aren't in the same ballpark (Ch+ and Ch-). Those map to an OBC range that is beyond the code that got me in trouble. The actual codes for those on the DRA-685 are EFC 161 and EFC 157.

As soon as I get a working unit again, I will update my file with some additional codes.

In the meantime, I've abandoned my attempt to get the Kameleon working. The customer bought off on going with a RS 15-2116. The store willingly gave me credit for the difference in cost - didn't even press hard on batteries. There are some good RS stores.

Dick
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind when you look at the Denon site the "data" (C6-C11) are the bottom 6-bits of what we call the OBC.

In order to get the correct OBC you have to look at the extension bit (C12 C13) and those are the top 2 bits but in reverse order, so for (C12 C13)=

00 - use the No. column
01 - add 128 to No. column
10 - add 64 to No. column
11 - add 192 to No. column
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you guys able to view that PDF file, when I try opening it both at work and at home, I get the following message...

Unable to find or create the font 'GothicBBB-Medium-Identity-H'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

So, instead of seeing the binary that i assume you guys can see, all I see are dots.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the answer is to download the latest version of Reader (which is 6.0, I was using 4.0) and then let it find the update for Japanese fonts! Wow, that was alot of work just to see some binary!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: