JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Upgrading Kameleon 8 by phone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lili

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Upgrading Kameleon 8 by phone Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot for the great place !

I just bought a Kameleon 8 (URC-9960) in the US and I would like to use it in Europe (with a Thomson TV amongst others).

The remote can be upgraded by phone and I looked for the upgrade procedure. There is nothing on their US site but I found the "upgrade sound" to be played to Kamelon 6 and Kamelon 4 on their European site:

http://www.oneforall-int.com/english/prodsup/urc/prodsup8060.htm

[b]I would like to play that sound to my Kameleon 8 but I don't know how to enter the programing mode. Any idea ?[/b]

Thanks
Lili
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just upgrade with a .wav file to just any Kameleon you want. You'll need to upload a file made specifically for the 9960. One for the 8040, 8060, or 2133 won't work right, if at all, on a 9960. Getting .wav files over the net or phone in europe will likely only offer you a choice for the 8040 or 8060.

Getting on the phone or the net to OFA-usa would give you access to upgrades for US based devices, and NOT european based devices, they won't have those just sitting around, someone would have to make the proper file, and they probably aren't expecting this situation to occur. For your situation, you have to get a file made for an 8040 or 8060, then modify it for your 9960. Rather than go through all the hassle involved, and it'd require so much JP-1 work anyway, you may as well just use JP-1 for your needed upgrades. It would offer a lot more than just what you'd be stuck with from OFA, and right now you're kinda caught between a rock and a hardplace.

Jim
lili

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think that OFA Usa will not be able to upgrade my remote with codes that apparently OFA Europe is able to provide ?

Should I use JP1, will I be able to import any code in my remote ?

Many thanks
Lili
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OFA-usa keeps "in stock" codes for usa type devices. OFA-europe keeps "in stock" codes for european devices. While they CAN make each other's codes, as a rule they don't just have them "laying around" and readily available for each other's remotes. They "assume" that europeans have easier access to european marketed remotes, and likewise for the US. they don't 'expect' remotes to be going back and forth across the ocean. For the most part, since european devices use different protocols and setup codes that US remotes don't have, it would be pretty silly to deliberately get a remote that's not really set up right. The only time a european would be better off with a US remote, would be the case of military and some US business people attached to european offices/bases and either purchased US based equipment at a base PX, or took US equipment with them.

I'm assuming your Thompson TV and other devices are all european based, most likely requiring the european protocols and setup codes. OFA europe is not likely to even offer .wav files for US based remotes, like the 2133, 2136, 9960 and 9962 kameleons. They WOULD have them available for the 8040 and 8060.

If you have all, or almost all european based equipment, the Kameleon is a learner, so with JP-1 it wouldn't matter where your equipment comes from, and it can be any mixture of US/european combination possible. So, with the jP-1 tools you aren't faced with the restrictions you're trapped into trying to get upgrades from either OFA-europe or OFA-USA.

With the tools available, and help from this forum, if needed, this would be your best, if not only, solution.

Jim
lili

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thansk for the rapid and detailed response.

So, if I undestood right, I should buy a JP1 cable and then upload the required codes to my remote, right ?

My remote is only able to learn 25 keys. Does that limitation also apply to JP1 ?
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lili wrote:
My remote is only able to learn 25 keys. Does that limitation also apply to JP1 ?
By itself, JP1 will not change the learning capability of the remote.

What it will do is give you the ability to analyze the learned codes and provide you with the information needed to create the upgrades that you were originally looking to obtain from One-For-All.

In addition, you would be able to utilize the fairly extensive library of upgrades in the Yahoo JP1 files section. Also, there are tools available that can scavenge upgrade information from other learning remotes that have on-line libraries, like the Pronto.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lili wrote:

Yes... JP1 doesn't change the way the remote uses the learning functions. However, JP1 does allow you to take those learned signals and convert them into device upgrades and/or key moves so that you're not dependent on learned signals. Plus, JP1 will allow you an easier way to customize the remote to your liking.
Vytenis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:

I'm assuming your Thompson TV and other devices are all european based, most likely requiring the european protocols and setup codes. OFA europe is not likely to even offer .wav files for US based remotes, like the 2133, 2136, 9960 and 9962 kameleons. They WOULD have them available for the 8040 and 8060.

Hi

I am also pretty new to JP1, but still here are some of my thoughts and experiences. I had a Cinema 6 for a few years, but the buttons are worn out and I had to buy a new one. After all I had an easy life with Cinema 6 so I wanted to stay with OFA. JP1 capability was one more thing to look at. So I bought 8910 with simple JP1 interface from BlueDo.com.

Next thing to say is I am from Europe too. And all my equipment is european of course. Still I had no problems using both remotes even with setup codes. Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic had their codes, and for my LG TV a Philips code worked. I think most international brands use the same protocols and even the same codes for the same functions. I also have a Samsung mini component system for that I don't need another remote. But just for fun I learned some keys to see what protocol it uses. And IR reconised the protocol (Kaseikyo). So it is known but still not so well supported.

First I programed my 8910 to work with my TV using JP1 and learning. Then I also discovered that I can download some wav file for upgrading remotes for LG brand. Of course not for 8910 Sad There should be some way to decode this wav file and to make it useful.

Vytenis
Having fun with JP1
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have found a WAV file that contains the upgrade you need, post it to the Diagnosis Area and if one of us has the right remote for it, we will convert it to a regular upgrade for you.
Vytenis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you have found a WAV file that contains the upgrade you need, post it to the Diagnosis Area and if one of us has the right remote for it, we will convert it to a regular upgrade for you.

Actually I personally don't need the upgrade anymore. I got it the regular way I mean with learning and decoding. I don't think it's worth the effort to convert 5 wav files just for my fun.

European OFA site offers downloading of upgrade files but what about US. Do they also offer internet support or just over the phone?

Vytenis
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here it's just phone support, unfortunately, but with JP1 around, it's not a big loss.
HobbyMan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, all,

I've got EUR Kameleon 8060. I do not have JP1 interface, but still made wav file update using KM, IR and IRToWav software.

How can I download the wav file to my 8060?
I tried to follow Internet update guide on www.oneforall.com for my device, but on a stage of getting update the IE permanentle sticks on "retrieving information" stage. So, I can not go ahead.

Can I manually download wav file on 8060 using Magic button function? And how?
aberguerand
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the OFA site :

Quote:
Before playing the sound file:

Turn your speakers' volume to half of MAX and turn the TONE to MAX (if any). If you have small speakers, it's better to turn up the volume more.
Press the key 'TV'. Then press and hold the 'MAGIC' key until the rabbit pops out of the hat. Then press the ‘POWER’ key to prepare the remote control for the upgrade by entering its upgrade state mode. The IR animation will reverse 3 times and the display will go out.
Place the remote control on the face of speaker. The remote should face away from you. It is recommended that the front of the remote touch the speaker.

Play the sound file.

While the sound file is playing:

You should hear a serial beeping sound from your speakers. The display will remain off until the sound has finished playing.
If the display does not come back on when the sound file has finished playing, you should wait for 30 seconds to allow the remote control to exit the upgrade state. Then you probably need to adjust the speakers volume and/or remote's position on the surface of speaker, and go to step 1 and try again.

The rest only applies in case of a download from the site. If you have used a .wav file generated by IRToWav, your remote should be completely configured.

Quote:

In order for your remote to control your device(s), you will need to enter the right code into the memory. Just follow the steps below to get your system up and running.

Setup Codes Device Name Codes
TVs 00xx 00xx

1. Turn on the device for which you have downloaded a code.
2. Find your downloaded setup codes above.
3. Press the device key (TV, VCR, DVD, SAT, AUD, or CD) for your downloaded devices.
4. Press and hold the MAGIC key until the rabbits pops out of the hat.
5. Enter the downloaded four-digit code using the number keys. The bottom segment of the IR animation will blink twice to confirm correct entry.
6. Aim the remote control at your device and press the POWER key. If the device responds and this is the only device for which you have downloaded a code, you are finished. If you have downloaded codes for other devices, press the appropriate device key and go back to number 4 above.
7. If your device doesn't respond to the POWER key, choose the next available code for that device. If there are no more codes available and do not work, please select DOWNLOAD SELECTIONS page and select the same brand with different number.
8. You are now finished with the setup. If you have questions or comments, please click here.

Alain
HobbyMan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. I'll try it at home...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: