JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KM Keymoves for Dumbies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woltech

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: KM Keymoves for Dumbies Reply with quote

Using the Keymaster spreadsheets & a downloaded device.txt file, the buttons sheet shows items with the @ symbol before it. Some are in red italics and other black with an assigned function. These and Shifted functions are described as keymoves. The keymoves sheet lists several functions with no data to the right of them.

I seem to be missing something regarding keymoves. Keymoves in the original remote was a way to use buttons/functions from a second assigned device in the current device. Is it the same here? Is this all assigned in on the keymove sheet where I'm seeing only blanks? Where do I get the data for the keymoved functions? The other device? Could someone step me through a simple keymove, say, I want the Mute key/function for my AV Receiver to work in VCR Mode.

Thanks.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keymoves can also be assignment of fuctions to keys not in a keymap for the device type of upgrade you're making, or NOT assigned in the native/upgrade setup code. Those will show with the preceeding @ on the buttons tab. If you changed remotes or device type, that may have made a "legal" assignment for the poster into a keymove for you.

For the example you listed, it's easier and simpler to just make the keymove you want in IR.: Open IR, "download from remote", Go to the keymove TAB, and in this case, use the selections for 1. VCR, 2. Bound key="mute"; double click your AV receiver's assigned device button/setup code, select "efc radio button", then type in your receiver's efc for "mute".
If your receiver is using a combo code, you'll have to select "hex cmd" radio button, and enter the two byte hex command for the "mute" function, with a space between the 2 bytes.

Jim
woltech

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Light Bulb! Reply with quote

"not in a keymap for the device type" was my missing piece. That explains all the @s on the button sheet with no function data on the keymoves. The rest then imediately made sense. Thanks for the help. Eric
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: KM Keymoves for Dumbies Reply with quote

woltech wrote:
Keymoves in the original remote was a way to use buttons/functions from a second assigned device in the current device. Is it the same here?

This should all be explained in the keymap-master-readme.txt file.

Key moves in KM apply to the current device (the current device is defined as the one the upgrade file is for).

On the [Buttons] sheet, any button preceded by "@" and all Shift-Functions will will create key moves bound to the current device when a function is assigned. This is to make use of buttons that aren't part of the default keymap for the selected Device Type, as well as any shifted buttons.

On the [Key Moves] sheet, you can assign any function from the current device to any device by selecting the appropriate device in the Bound Dev column.

Quote:
Could someone step me through a simple keymove, say, I want the Mute key/function for my AV Receiver to work in VCR Mode.

You would do this on the [Key Moves] sheet in your AV Receiver KM upgrade file. Here's the steps required:
  1. Find the Mute function in the list (column A)
  2. Select the appropriate device in the Bound Dev column (VCR)
  3. Select the desired button in the Bound Key column (Mute)
  4. If you want the button to be shifted, select Yes in the Shift column

On the [Setup] sheet, there will now be code in the Key Move Code block. Click the [Copy] button, go to IR's Key Moves tab, select the [Import] button, and paste in the code. IR will bind the key move to the VCR button.
sfhub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Keymoves can also be assignment of fuctions to keys not in a keymap for the device type of upgrade you're making

Out of curiosity, is it possible to change the keymap for a particular
device type or are the mappings ingrained into the remote?

I commonly want to define a VCR device, but want access to all the
keys as part of the device upgrade (as opposed to using keymoves) for
efficient memory usage. Right now I just define my devices as CBL
since that seems to have the largest keymap.

I was using custom name special protocol, but it seemed to make the
macros take noticeably longer to complete and I didn't like the LCD
constantly toggling between the original remote name and new name
when I pressed buttons.

I'm using 15-2117 ext2.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it possible to change the keymap for a particular device type or are the mappings ingrained into the remote?

The key maps are hardcoded in the remote and cannot be changed via JP1. Using the device type that yields the most mapped buttons (check the [Layout] sheet in KM) is the best approach (and varies from one remote to another).
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Light Bulb! Reply with quote

woltech wrote:
That explains all the @s on the button sheet with no function data on the keymoves.

Keep in mind that key moves created on the [Buttons] sheet are independent of those created on the [Key Moves] sheet. There is absolutely no connection between the two.

The [Buttons] sheet can only be used for key moves bound to the current device. All key move code will be combined with the Device Upgrade Code on the [Setup] sheet, and IR will do the proper binding when the code is pasted into the Devices tab.

On the [Key Moves] sheet, key moves can be bound to any available device (including the current one by selecting "(upgrade)" in the Bound Dev column). The resulting code appears by itself in the Key Move Code block on the [Setup] sheet. You then use the [Import] button on the Key Moves tab to paste it into IR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: