JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How best to adjust JVC signal duration?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: How best to adjust JVC signal duration? Reply with quote

Besides Device Combiner, are there other possible ways to adjust duration? I seem to need it only for several functions, but conversion to DC was expensive. It cost me 125 bytes over a standard JVC protocol upgrade for a DVD Crying or Very sad
Depending on available possibilities, if any, I'll post follow up details and/or questions.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Armstrong was kind enough to generate THIS JVC upgrade for me, as discussed in THIS THREAD , when I had a problem with various JVC device numbers and didn't want to use the device combiner. A modified protocol that can be inserted in lieu of the one included therein is located in THIS THREAD in which Jon explains:
jon_armstrong wrote:
Also, since I created the JVC combination protocol in PB, You can jack up the minimum repeats:

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 34 (S3C8+) PB v3.11
42 8D 02 8B 14 8C 59 08 08 01 06 00 F2 01 06 02
FF 2E 24 11 30 08 84 FF 05 8D 01 46
End

The 05 in bold is the minimum number of repeats that I just arbitrarily set, but give that a try. Unless you are using one of the older remotes, you can just directly paste that into IR and replace the other upgrade protocol from KM. If that works I'll change the device upgrade in the files.
Now as far as I know, this upgrade and protocol only works for device numbers 3, 15 and 35, but perhaps the second hex byte can be used for ANY JVC device identifier.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will try Jon's upgrade, but I don't think it will work. It would likely work in my 8910 which is S3C8+, but I don't need it tthere.
I need it only for Cinema7 (7800) running ext2. 7800 is S3C8 processor. Curiously, I need no adjustment in extended or standard 8910 nor in unextended 7800.
I thought of tweaking the JVC protocol 00 34. I don't want 2-byte job for this if I can avoid it. I don't think it would hurt if all signals got a notch longer. But I have no skills to detect subtle differences in signal timing from few re-learned keys and wouldn't know what to adjust in PB. In DC ,duration value of 1 did the job and a fraction of it might too. I hope Jon reads this, it's amazing what he did for you.

BTW this dvd is JVC-XVS502SL. I've had no problems with it, ever, till I hit the C7 extension a short while ago. I use play, stop and power buttons as discretes and those darn keys don't work unless held down, which is rough to do in a macro. I just uploaded re-learned signals in case Jon can mend this one too.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1363&sid=621b29e6ee6087dcf8ad683edb19470d
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
I need it only for Cinema7 (7800) running ext2. 7800 is S3C8 processor.
Here's that same protocol for the S3C8:

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 34 (S3C8) PB v3.11
42 8D 02 8B 14 8C 59 08 08 01 06 00 F2 01 06 02
FF 2E 24 11 30 08 84 FF 05 8D 01 33
End
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, million thanks for protocol translation.
I like your instructions too Wink (I wish I knew what I'm looking at)
I presume this protocol is an add-on, not a replacement for 00 34.
Under that assumption,
1. I took the upgrade, told KM we're doing manual protocol.
2. KM manufactured upgrade device for setup code 1134.
3. I pasted both into IR, protocol 0134 and device 1134.
4. In KM I modified my previous upgrade by changing 8 function assignments to external functions calling the new protocol using '=DVD/1134 functionName' syntax.

I may have screwed up.
It doesn't exactly work.
Holding power, play, etc. down now does nothing, while it did previously.
The LED on top of C7 blinks with very weak red color.

I suspect the purpose of Jon's protocol might be slightly different.
Capn Trips needed several subdevices and was fed up with the need for pause.
Pause protocol was no help for me, it works for TV but not here.

I don't understand the repeats I see in the disassembly. I can change repeats, up I suppose. May I do it in IR?
I'm kinda surprised at the signal parameters I see, 'cause they are further from what I saw in learned signals than the S3C8+ version was.
Please get me out of this trouble Crying or Very sad

Edited after rereading Capn Trips quote: I knew earlier but didn;t think about it during making changes that this protocol is a combo. That's most likely the source of worse situation now than before. Then again, with no subdevice maybe it still has a chance? This is beyond me, really.
cdhixson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a modified version of the JVC 0034 protocol in the files section at Yahoo Groups. Here is a link to the protocol builder file.

JVC protocol with longer minimum time

Edit: I've also uploaded the file to the File Section of these forums.

JVC protocol with longer minimum time (forum file section)

If you don't want to use protocol builder then here is the protocol code you can paste into IR.

Upgrade protocol 0 = 00 34 (S3C8) JVC_0034_Protocol (PB v3.11)
3D 92 11 8B 14 85 59 08 08 01 06 00 F2 01 06 02
FF 2E 24 10 68 08 20 FF 02 8D 01 33
End

You can edit the number highlighted above to increase the number of repeats if two doesn't work on your system.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by cdhixson on Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdhixson wrote:
Upgrade protocol 0 = 00 34 (S3C8) JVC_0034_Protocol (PB v3.11)
3D 92 11 8B 14 85 59 08 08 01 06 00 F2 01 06 02
FF 2E 24 10 68 08 20 FF 02 8D 01 33
End

Thanks. I will try tonight.
From the name on the Upgrade Protocol line I gather this is a replacement for 00 34. So the hoops I went through (see above) aren't needed. However, I think that protocol substitution vs calling external functions (at a cost of 40 bytes) should be functionally identical, in which case if it didn't work yesterday, i doubt it will now. I don't understand what's going on. I'll report back.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's effort. Unfortunately the protocols didn't work for me. The LED did go on, but absolutely nothing happened on the DVD side, no matter how long I held the keys. I don't know why since it works for some people.

I experimented with PB, given the signal timing that I have (stable and unambigous in my opinion), but I can't figure out few things, such as how to handle varying, what I think might be, leadout time. So I got nowhere with that either.

At this point, the original JVC protocol for 7800 from KM is the closest thing to working. It's also a bit longer and timing parameters are all different from the two versions above. I suspect a bit of tweaking here might do the job. I'll try this one in PB. Don't know what else to do or how.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success. It works. Hurray! Thanks, guys, you're great Very Happy
I wish I knew how to interpret the signals better, because by my thinking what works shouldn't. And I don't even see any code in there other than a heap of numbers about signals.

Summary feedback:
> The protocol that Capn Trips quoted is for S3C8+. It doesn't work for me. I get red blink, no results out of dvd.
> The protocol for S3C8 version of above, that Mark converted also not work. I just got weak blink.
> The protocol for S3C8 that cdhixson gave here works just fine in my extended C7.
I played with 2,3,4,5,6 repeats. 2 doesn't work, but 3-6 do, so I'll settle on 3.
BTW, I decided to drop external functions and use it for the whole upgrade. It saves me 40 bytes and the DVD doesn't care. And overall I saved about 100 bytes from the DC version.

Have any of you C7 users found what the exact syntax in macros is? Without the temporary device assignment like in 8910, I've been treating M_device as the key thing, and add others only when needed. Other than DSM, my C7 now works, but I wonder what's the best way. Any tricks here? Examples of sensible syntax?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: