JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

most basic upgrade question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeamick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: most basic upgrade question Reply with quote

I have an rcu810 with many diff components programed into it. I am way out of learned memory and have been told that upgrading would best suit my needs.

my question is ...

when I create an upgrade, am I creating one setup code that includes all the diff components ( vcr's, dvd's etc ) that are programed into it or do I have to create a seperate setup code (upgrade ) for each component ?

Thanks
Mike
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seperate. You are basically creating new setup codes to either replace ones already inthe remote or to add support for devices not already in there.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, one upgrade per device. If there is a built in setup code that works for most buttons, but you just need a few more or want to add discrete commands, then you can use key moves in IR to add the keys.

Don't forget there is an offset where you must add 17 to the standard setup codes for other OFA remotes to make them work on the RCU 810. For example TV_0000 is the nearly universal setup code for Sony TV's. For the RCU810 it is TV_0017.

You do NOT add 17 to EFC's or OBC's.
mikeamick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright .. that unconfuses things a lot for me ..

I did read about that 17 offset thingy .. but .. I intend to do it all with learned commands .. that does change the game a little right ?

everything I need is in those learned commands .. I just have to come up with an ok setup code number that I make up right ?

thanks again

Mike
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "I intend to do it all with learned commands" I assume you mean that you are going to learn functions, make a note of the protocol, device code(s) and OBC/EFC info, then use this info to build a new setup code. If this is the case, you don't need to worry about the 17 offset.

But on the other hand, if you don't have the original remote for your Sony TV anymore and the built in code (TV/0017) doesn't have the MENU button programmed correctly, you might want to try and find the correct EFC for MENU. To do this, you would first subtract 17 from the setup code, giving you TV/0000 and then you would try looking it up on my web site (or any other place that lists EFCs).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw Mike, can you verify your email address. You are "watching" this thread, so my server sends you emails whenever someone replies, but those emails are bouncing with an "Unrouteable address" message.
mikeamick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry .. the emails should work now .. my host had to redo my account and warned me that my emails would bounce for a couple of hrs.

I have studied the manual ( jp1 for beginners ) and think I may be in trouble as to what I want to do.

The way I like to have my remote is .. never ( make that seldom ) having to hit the device keys ..

I like to leave my remote in the SAT position .. and these buttons work the sat, and those buttons work the vcr and those other buttons work the dvd.

and that IS the way it is right now .... using the learn function to just put what I want where I want. but .. I am way out of learn memory.

I looked at the upgrade thing and I cant mix protocols so that eliminates combining diff devices into one setup code.

soo .. I guess all I can do .. is just move as much as I can to the key moves area and free up as much as I can of the learn area.

I think I am getting close to understanding exactly what I can do ..

thanks

Mike
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't you goal here is exactly an ideal one (after all, you only have one POWER button, so how are you going to turn each device ona nd off, etc), it is possible.

Here's how you would do it.

First, create (or download) seperate upgrades for each device. These upgrade files will tell you the protocol id and fixed data for each upgrade. (You can also get the EFC info from these if you need it)

Then, start a fresh copy of KM and select the Device Combiner. A new data entry panel will appear where you should enter all the protocol ids and fixed datas that you gathered from the first step.

Finally in the Functions sheet, you can enter all the functions that you need, along with their EFC and a number indicating which of the multiple devices they refer to. Then assign these functions to buttons and you have a combined upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: