JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Completely dumfounded........
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is common courtesy to post a link to the file you upload for someone to look at. That way the person who wants to help you doesn't have to go looking for it.

It looks like the device upgrade was installed as VCR/1962, which you assigned to the SAT device button. When you have been testing the upgrade, have you been using the SAT device mode?

Your "My System" macro doesn't set any key sets to the SAT device, so I want to be sure you are testing in SAT mode.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Here's a link to the file, but like Greg said, in future please post links yourself.

2) You saved the file with an .rmdu extension. This extension is used for RM files only, IR files are saved with an .ir extension.

3) The VCR/1962 upgrade uses protocol $011F which needs to be added, but I don't see the protocol in this file. If you look back at my earlier post you'll see that I did provide a protocol upgrade too. Of course, if you didn't add the protocol it does make me wonder how you were able to get the upgrade to work at all.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I just released RM v1.18 which can now correctly import either the original Device Combiner upgrade or the new Panasonic MIX Combo upgade.
Lurker1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the failure to include a link.

Quote:
It looks like the device upgrade was installed as VCR/1962, which you assigned to the SAT device button. When you have been testing the upgrade, have you been using the SAT device mode?

Not sure what you mean by ("device mode") this.

If you mean the 'device button window' in the general dropdown. Then yes, I paste the device code (1962) into the SAT device button window. Then in the type dropdown I use VCR followed by the code.

Quote:
Your "My System" macro doesn't set any key sets to the SAT device, so I want to be sure you are testing in SAT mode.

This could be where my problem lies. I'm not sure how best to configure my macros, but I'll tinker with it and see where it gets me. Although I'm still stuck with the same problem in that in that the PIP, up & down arrow keys, Menu/Info/Guide and Select buttons still fail to work.

It might be my macros, the fact that my PIP don't even emit a signal even when I have put something there leads me to believe that my problem lies elsewhere and could be more fundamental.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker1 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure what you mean by ("device mode") this.

"Device mode" refers to the mode that the remote is in. For example, if you are holding the remote and you press the VCR button, the remote is now in VCR mode, if you press the SAT button, the remote is now in SAT mode. When the remote is in SAT mode, if you press POWER you would expect your sat box to turn on, and if the remote is in VCR mode and you press POWER, you would expect your vcr to turn on.

So what Greg was asking is this. When you tested the upgrade, did you press SAT first? He was curious because he noticed that your MY SYSTEM macro doesn't include any SAT functions.

Do you have any answers for the questions I asked in my last post?
Lurker1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what Greg was asking is this. When you tested the upgrade, did you press SAT first? He was curious because he noticed that your MY SYSTEM macro doesn't include any SAT functions.

Yes I do put the remote in SAT mode when testing after loading an upgrade.

Quote:
Do you have any answers for the questions I asked in my last post?

"The VCR/1962 upgrade uses protocol $011F which needs to be added, but I don't see the protocol in this file. If you look back at my earlier post you'll see that I did provide a protocol upgrade too. Of course, if you didn't add the protocol it does make me wonder how you were able to get the upgrade to work at all. - Robman.

Are you sure about the omission of the protocol?

After you mentioned this I went back and looked at some earlier files I had worked with and it was included in every one where it needed.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at this file, when I click on the Protocols tab I see the following protocols:

$0180
$0181
$01FC
$01FB
$01F9
$01F8
$01FD
$01D0

I don't see $011F. Now, I see from your comments that you're using extender3 and I only have RDFs for extender1 and 2, so I picked #2 as I believe it also works with ext3.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The protocol is definitely not in the file you posted in the Diagnosis Area.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
you're using extender3 and I only have RDFs for extender1 and 2, so I picked #2 as I believe it also works with ext3.

FYI, if you use an RDF for the wrong rev of extender some of the items in the "Other Settings" panel of IR.EXE will be wrong. I haven't specifically checked those two extender versions, but I doubt any two revs are related enough for all of "Other Settings" to work right.

But you're looking at upgrades. Those should be right using almost any RDF, including a non extender RDF.

The KeyMoves, Macros and Special protocols sections should be right across RDFs for extenders that are moderately related.
Lurker1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 & Robman;

Perhaps in the confusion of working with several files, I forgot to add the protocol to gfb107's upgrade.

When I get home from work tonight, I won't be frustrated with it, and I'll attack it with a clear head and make sure the protocol is included.

Once again thank you for your time and patience.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
The Robman wrote:
you're using extender3 and I only have RDFs for extender1 and 2, so I picked #2 as I believe it also works with ext3.

FYI, if you use an RDF for the wrong rev of extender some of the items in the "Other Settings" panel of IR.EXE will be wrong. I haven't specifically checked those two extender versions, but I doubt any two revs are related enough for all of "Other Settings" to work right.

IIRC, extender3 is just a modified version of extender2 with a new feature or two added, so I think they're pretty close. I just downloaded the correct RDF and didn't notice any difference in the displays.
Lurker1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried the upgrade with the protocol Robman recomended and I am still unable to configure the remote. The unit will power on but except for the number & transport control buttons, nothing else works. I got the arrow buttons to work, but keymoving my 2nd DVD (also a Panasonic) arrow buttons over to this one, but so far I can't get any of this units VCR/DVD buttons to work.

Pity that I brought this before I knew about JP1 in future I'll stay away from products that can't be programmed.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still suspect that you're not really using the upgrade properly. The fact that you were able to get the upgrade to partially work, without installing the protocol, tells me that something's not right. Without installing the protocol itself, none of the buttons should have worked. So, the fact that you are getting similar results with the protocol installed seems to imply that you're not using the upgrade at all.

Rather than have us speculate as to whether this Panasonic device really uses different commands to all the other Panasonic devices, I think it's time for you to take a step back. Rather than trying to get any of the existing upgrades to work, I think we need to confirm exactly what codes your combo uses. To this end, I would like you to un-install the extender from your 15-2117 and use it's learning ability to capture all of the buttons from the original remote. Because of the 15-2117's limited learning memory, it will take you several passes to capture all of the buttons, but this is OK.

Use VCR mode when you are learning the VCR functions and use DVD mode when you are learning the DVD functions. Use the appropiate buttons on the 15-2117 when they exist (eg, learn the PLAY function to the PLAY button, etc). When there isn't an appropiate button available (like for ANGLE, ZOOM, etc) use any spare button, but when you download the memory using IR, please go in and label each of these buttons so we know what they are.

If the original remote has shifted buttons (ie, you must press a SHIFT button before you press the button) ensure that you are learning the shifted version of the function. To do this, once you have learned the buttons, test them on the DVD/VCR player to see if the learned signal works as expected.

Once you've learned 25 or more buttons, the memory will be full. When this occurs, download the memory using IR and save the file. Then use the "delete all" button in IR to delete all the learned signals and re-load. Continue this process until all of the buttons on the original remote have been captured. When you're done, zip all the resulting IR files together and load them into the Diagnosis Area. Once we have these files we can verify whether the existing upgrade should work or whether we need a new one.
Lurker1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zipped and uploaded three IR files for the unit and they are located in the diagnosis area.

Since I used the RS 15-2117 the button matchup wasn't perfect. In the cases where I had to use different keys, the notes section under each learned command contains the native key function (I wasn't sure where else to put it).

Here is the link to the file :

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1326
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: