JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TV very slow to power up - any workarounds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: TV very slow to power up - any workarounds? Reply with quote

Got a new JVC TV. Decoded and built upgrades for it, discovered undocumented discrete input commands and on/off, so I was very happy.

Built my standard sequences of power on-line up macros and am frustrated by the TV's long power-on sequence.

I have sequenced my power-on macros to FIRST turn on TV, THEN turn on sat/DVD/VCR/rcvr and select appropriate rcvr input, and FINALLY select the TV input. I've included 2 maximum pauses using the pause protocol (1994 w/ extender 5) immediately prior to the final signal sent to the TV to select the input. It STILL fails to act on the final signal sent about 30% of the time, since the TV has not yet completed its power-up sequence.

I am loathe to insert another "pause" as the entire macro already takes about 10 seconds and it's hard to keep the remote pointed properly throughout. My current workaround is just push the desired button again, and the second time through the macro, the TV is CERTAINLY ready to accept and act on the input select command.

It's a very inelegant solution, and I'm asking what others do in this circumstance: (1) add sufficient pauses?; (2) remove all of the pauses and just make it "push/wait-until-TV-is-"on"/push again"; or is there another way to skin this cat?

The Capn
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Samsung DLP rear projection, and it also take a long time from power-on to ready, about 30 seconds.

I've gone to having global power on and off macros (invoked by LKP to the power button, short=on, long=off), and the just having input select macros on the device buttons. So first I turn everything on, and then once everything is on, if I need to change the inputs, I push the desired device button. Works well in our house, even the 7 and 10 year olds can handle it.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
StuartMW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sony KV27FS100 is also slow at coming up so like gfb107 I assigned the TV input select macro's to button (M1-M4 on my URC-8811). Yes its a pain because sometimes you forget and have to hit a button after powering everything up but I don't know of a better solution.
cdhixson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 15-1994 remote with extender 5 and a JVC TV. My TV is about 8 years old. After switching to the extender, the macro playback was too fast for the TV to recognize. Another user had the same problem and wrote a replacement JVC protocol that repeated each IR signal three times. I made an new upgrade with the custom JVC protocol and have had no problems with macro speed. I can issue the discrete on and input selections at any point in the power up macros.

Here is a link to the protocol builder file.

JVC protocol with longer minimum time
benjamintm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sony TV that takes a bit of time to come up. I tried to figure out how to get my system into Tivo mode with the long TV power on, without finding a good, reliable solution that worked fast.

Then I had an epiphany. I realized that a more elegant solution was to set everything to Tivo mode before powering OFF and then shutting down the system. When I power up everything (with the power on macro), my system's already in the correct mode without the Power On macro having to set it or worry about the TV pause. It's been working great for the last 4 months.

Ben
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think alot of people have run into the same problem and it seems like you came to the logical conclusion.

I just simply do all (only) power up or downs on the power button for each device and have the input/output selection on the device buttons. This way you can do your power up/downs pretty quickly then wait till it is all up and run your device macro for which mode you want to be in.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also grab one of the HTPro units with RF and then execute your macro and not worry about pointing. But, I think Cris Hixon's approach is the most logical thing to try. The JVC protocol is short and macro's are set only to repeat the command twice IIRC. Also, since I created the JVC combination protocol in PB, You can jack up the minimum repeats:

Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 34 (S3C8+) PB v3.11
42 8D 02 8B 14 8C 59 08 08 01 06 00 F2 01 06 02
FF 2E 24 11 30 08 84 FF 05 8D 01 46
End

The 05 in bold is the minimum number of repeats that I just arbitrarily set, but give that a try. Unless you are using one of the older remotes, you can just directly paste that into IR and replace the other upgrade protocol from KM. If that works I'll change the device upgrade in the files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: