JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Direct entry of learned codes ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Direct entry of learned codes ?? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question about learned codes. I've got here by an unusual route and what I'm trying to do doesn't seem very usual but someone on here may be able to help.
What I'm trying to do is control RF remote devices made by AEI, these are light dimmers and switches and use a basic encoder/decoder system to operate. There not X10 compatible but are half the price (here in the UK) and are neater and easier to build into wall boxes.
Anyway the idea is to use a Powermid to produce the RF signals from an IR remote control (URC-7550). My original idea was to use the other half of the Powermid to produce the IR from the standard RF remote and learn this into the URC remote, but this didn't work because of too much RF interference (I think).
I then came across an article on how the raw CCF data is encoded (frequency, units and burst pairs). I know the waveform I am trying to obtain and can calculate the CCF data that would produce it.
What I need to know is is there any way I can directly edit the learned code data in the IR program so that I can synthesise a learned code in my remote.

Steve
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't provided any tools to edit learned codes. Some of us know how, and the raw hex format is documented here (and/or you could look in the Pascal source code for IR.EXE if you can read Pascal).

Can you tell us a little more about the waveform you want? Maybe we can offer some more specific suggestions.

You should look at the Protocol Builder spreadsheet. If the waveform you want has the basic structure of a typical remote control signal, you can use PB to create a protocol upgrade with the right detailed timing and frequency etc.

Have you checked that the Powermid uses the same RF frequency and the same method of modulating the remote control signal into RF as the device you want to duplicate?
SteveG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer, I'm trying Protocol Builder now to see if I can produce something sensible. The waveform I need is as follows -

8 Address bits
4 Data bits
1 Sync bit

The Address and Data bits are encoded
'0' is ON for 200uS, OFF for 600uS, ON for 200uS, OFF for 600uS
'1' is ON for 200uS, OFF for 600uS, ON for 600uS, OFF for 200uS

The Sync bit is ON for 200uS, OFF for 6400uS

This is repeated at least 4 times and for as long as the button is held down.

I'm not sure how to do the '1' form in Protocol Builder so I'm trying an alternative form of ON 600, OFF 200, ON 600, OFF 200 just to see if I can reproduce the waveforms I'm expecting.

I'm can see how the Address/Data structure of my waveform maps to dev-cmd in Protocol Builder but can't quite see how this works in keymap-master or IR.exe. Assuming the protocol is built ok and I wanted to send Data = 1 Address = 1 for the 0 button what would I need to set ?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that you break your 1s and 0s down further.

Instead of this...
'0' is ON for 200uS, OFF for 600uS, ON for 200uS, OFF for 600uS
'1' is ON for 200uS, OFF for 600uS, ON for 600uS, OFF for 200uS

You could use this...
'0' is ON for 200uS, OFF for 600uS
'1' is ON for 600uS, OFF for 200uS

then for every one of the old 0s, you'd use 00 and for every one of the old 1s, you'd use 01
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A '0' or a '1' can only be one burst (ON, OFF). You define that near the top of column E. So you want '0' to be 200-600 and you want a '1' to be 600-200.

You want something very similar to "Bit Doubling". You want an extra '0' inserted in front of every real bit. But that isn't one of the Bit Doubling options. There are several ways to do it. Here's one:

Chose Bit doubling to put a '0' AFTER every real bit. That's almost the same as a '0' before every bit, but you're missing one at the beginning and you have one extra at the end.

Since your protocol has no LeadIn, you can add the needed '0' at the verry beginning by making the LeadIn the same burst as a '0'.

You wanted a sync at the end of 200-6400. The doubling gives you '0' at the end which is 200-600. If you just tack on and extra -5800 (with no ON part) it works out perfectly. That's LeadOut style 0 (length 5800).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rob types faster than I do. His method also works. I'm not sure how many different addresses you want to support in one device upgrade. Rob's method double the required amount of fixed and variable data, which would be significant (but not unmanageable) if you want more than one address in one upgrade.

BTW, I think the minimum 4 copy requirement is covered by 4 in C22 with the default in C23 and C24.
SteveG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I've only been doing this since Monday so I'm going to take a little time to digest all that. I've been playing around with the protocol builder and recording the waveforms and I can definitely produce a non-doubled version of the waveform so I feel like I'm making progress. I'm going to try your suggestions but it'll probably be the weekend in the meantime I'm going to reread the tutorials now I've got a better handle on what I need to do.

A further complication that's just occurred to me is that unlike a TV say which is one device with a lot of commands the devices I'm talking to are multiple devices with either 1 or 2 commands (the dimmer cycles on repeating the command and the switches have ON and OFF commands). The 8 bit address that's transmitted is actually a 4 bit system (house) address and a 4 bit device address. I think the way forward on this is to define the address size in the protocol to be 4 bits and the data size to be 8 bits then set the data transmitted to the device number and the required command. Of couse this will depend on which way round the address is constructed.

Anyway I've got enough to go at for a few days so thanks for now.

Steve
SteveG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I glad to say I can report some success with this, I can now dim the lights in the living room using an OFA remote and a Powermid transmitter, so the theory works.
I've done a bit more work on the format of the commands that the devices use and its not exactly what I thought it was, its -

Sign Bit
4 Bit System Address
4 Bit Adapter Address
2 Bit Data
Sign Bit

The dimmers have the Sign bits on all the time so for adapter 3 on system 1 -

STEP is 1 1000 1100 111

but the switches have both sign bits on for ON and off for OFF, so for adapter 1 on system 14 -

ON is 1 0111 1000 111
OFF is 0 0111 1000 110

Now what I've done so far is implement the dimmers with an LSB dev-cmd protocol of 5 dev bits and 7 command bits, set the device code to 3 and the hex command to CF, this gives me the STEP waveform above which works. So far so good.

Now the switch devices I have are factory set to system 14 (I'll get the soldering iron out later to change them) so I thought to add two more devices in keymap-master (28 and 29) this would give me the first 5 bits for on and off then set the hex command as before. I've tried this and although I can add the devices I can't see how to assign the keys to a particular device they always go to Device1.

What I'm trying to do is use the numeric keys as follows

key dev cmd

1 3 8F
2 3 4F
3 3 CF

4 29 8F
5 29 4F

7 28 8C
8 28 4C

How do I do this ??

Steve
SteveG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answered my own question. I've added 3 devices in IR each with a different setup code. The first device is assigned to TV and the other buttons are done by key moves from the other devices.

If there's a better/simpler way of doing this let me know please.

I've just been downstairs and I can now dim all the lights and switch the lamps on and off from the OFA instead of the 3 small white remotes that came with the system.

How do I go about making this available to others ? Which files do I need to send where and how much tidying up and description should I do ?

One more battle won by the couch potatoes.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: