JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Change Scan/Fav key on RS 15-2117
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I am definitely interested in the extender. It's just that my brain has overloaded a bit. I downloaded the extenders and then got a little intimidated on how to get it loaded. Are there instructions anywhere (for idiots). Confused
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgiamp wrote:
In the mean time, I downloaded the file Robman put up, opened it in KM, copied it to the clipboard, and pasted it in to IR. I received a signature error message which I think is normal?

Actually no, it's not normal. If the stuff in IR was downloaded from your remote, then the signature contained within will be the same as what's in your remote, so I think this message is a clue as to what's going wrong.
sfhub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgiamp wrote:
Oh I am definitely interested in the extender. It's just that my brain has overloaded a bit. I downloaded the extenders and then got a little intimidated on how to get it loaded. Are there instructions anywhere (for idiots). Confused

IMO the readme's are more intimidating than the actual usage.

I suggest as the quickest way to feel your way through:
1) write down the device code for your TV and cable box.
2) load 2116_ex2.txt in IR
3) define the setup code for your TV and cable box in IR->General
4) upload to remote
5) press "Power" on your remote after upload is complete to activate ext2

Basic functionality should work right away. Now go through and add your
keymoves in IR->KeyMoves and review the macros in IR->Macros to see
how the device selection is done.

Once you get a feel for how things work, go back and read the Readme's.
They'll make more sense now.
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sounds easy enough. Will the TV power button turn on the power to the TV after the initial press to activate the extender or is it permanently a macro button to initiate the extender? Also, does the extender stay loaded indefinitely? It sounds great. I'll post back how it goes after I try it. I'm also going to try the upgrade again Robman posted to try and figure out the prob w/ that (for learning purposes).
Thanks again to everyone.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgiamp wrote:
Will the TV power button turn on the power to the TV after the initial press to activate the extender or is it permanently a macro button to initiate the extender?

Yes, assuming that's how your TV macro is setup. The TV/Power button acts normally after activation.

Quote:
Also, does the extender stay loaded indefinitely?

As long as the remote is not reset. Remember, a reset occurs after EVERY up/download in IR, and usually anytime the batteries are removed and re-installed. You'll have to reactivate the extender via TV/Power after any of these occurences.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your Mill4 file. T-W didn't upload an upgrade, the remote just uses the regular Cable_0087 native ueic code. The Mill4 you have requires the B01/B04 rdf, for future reference. i saw 22 keymoves, which i assume you installed. Besides cable_0877, the remote was set to use setup code TV_0250 (Typical panasonic TV basic setup code), VCR_0067, and audio_0158.

I didn't examine the keymoves extensively, but did notice a lot of keymoves to the transport Keys in both cable and TV. just so you know....The Mill4 has a "feature' called "transport punch-through". What this means is the last vcr/dvd, etc device selected will be active on the transport keys. Thus, if you set up a macro where the last device in the macro is "TV", the TV device will be the active device when the macro ends. If you put your vcr device ahead of the final TV device, the transport keys while IN TV mode will operate the vcr. this would save switching devices back and forth from Tv to vcr during typical vcr viewing. On a Mill4, the "F" (Likely A,B,and C) on the Mill4 are macro keys. (Just under page up and down). You can also assign a device to the hidden "aux" 5th device. (It's really a 5 device remote even though there are only 4 actual device buttons). if you make device upgrades, it's best to define everything as a "cable" type device, as you get maximum key usage, all but 2.

Jim
willcodeforbeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:

1) write down the device code for your TV and cable box.
2) load 2116_ex2.txt in IR
3) define the setup code for your TV and cable box in IR->General
4) upload to remote
5) press "Power" on your remote after upload is complete to activate ext2

Also, don't forget to copy "RSL1RSx2 (RS 15-2117_2116 Extender2).rdf" to the folder containing IR.exe. (This bit me when I was first getting started.)

By the way, the extender is great.

- Jeff
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a stab in the dark, but i know of one scenario that would have produced the results you got before. if you had a Mill4 file opened in IR, and forgot to "download" from remote so IR changed rdf's to the 2116/7 the upgrades you pasted in may have been pasted in a Mill4 setup. That would have uploaded the Mill4 signature to your 2116. Is this a possibility?

Jim
rgiamp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get to the hidden Aux button? Where is it or how do you activate it?
I actually bought the RS 15-2116 because the Mill 4 wouldn't do everything but now w/ JP1...it's a whole new remote.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mill4 has some weird restrictions, but also doesn't have some of the other restrictions that some other remotes have. IE, you can assign anything to "fav", just make sure it's a cable upgrade. Smile Wink

if you look at IR, you can see the <aux> fifth device. here's where you assign the setup code for it. To activate it, you just need to define a bitty macro that calls "<aux>". Personally, I like to use one of the "F" or in your case the ABC keys. Technically they are "supermacro" keys. If you get to playing with it, and understanding it, it's really not a bad remote. I've got like 21 left, and switched from using my 6800 to a Mill4 for the bedroom remote. Wife like it a lot better too, real easy for her to remember and use. One sucky thing about it is the stupid sliding cover over the transport keys, but it comes off real easy Smile
there's no extender for it, and i doubt anyone is gonna write one for it, both dave and john figured it wouldn't be too worthwhile

Jim
rgiamp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Just a stab in the dark, but i know of one scenario that would have produced the results you got before. if you had a Mill4 file opened in IR, and forgot to "download" from remote so IR changed rdf's to the 2116/7 the upgrades you pasted in may have been pasted in a Mill4 setup. That would have uploaded the Mill4 signature to your 2116. Is this a possibility?

Jim

That was quite a stab. You are absolutely right. I just checked and found that to be the case. I'm gonna try again when I get home. Maybe I'll get it right this time. Duhhhhhhhh... Embarassed
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you now have a Mill4 configuration in your 2116, and everything that was in the eeprom as a 2116 is now trashed, you best alternative now is to "purge" the memory with IR, do a 981 type reset to get the eeprom contents back to 'virgin' 2116 state.

Since the upload and device/protocol additions are worthless for a mill4, you may as well junk that file, if you saved it. BTW, that was an educated guess, I made that same error myself not too long ago, and your reported symptoms just looked to similar to what I saw. Knowing that you had a second JP-1 remote is what alerted me to considering that as a definate possibility. IR remembers the last remote selected when reopened, which is great if you only have one JP-1 remote, but if you have more than one, and they are different models, it requires more caution and being alert. Just be glad it's not permanent, and easily fixable. Wink

Jim
rgiamp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Since you now have a Mill4 configuration in your 2116, and everything that was in the eeprom as a 2116 is now trashed, you best alternative now is to "purge" the memory with IR, do a 981 type reset to get the eeprom contents back to 'virgin' 2116 state.

Jim

I had already done that last night after momentarily thinking I trashed the remote for good.

jamesgammel wrote:
Just be glad it's not permanent, and easily fixable. Wink

Jim

At first I thought it was permanent and broke out in a cold sweat. Shocked
Thanks again to you and everyone else for all the help and advice.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
IR remembers the last remote selected when reopened, which is great if you only have one JP-1 remote, but if you have more than one, and they are different models, it requires more caution and being alert.

This is where it pays to have some good habits. Rather than using the "Select > New" function, you should always start your JP1 experience by downloading what's in your remote now, then add your upgrades or whatever you are there to do.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

This is where it pays to have some good habits. Rather than using the "Select > New" function, you should always start your JP1 experience by downloading what's in your remote now, then add your upgrades or whatever you are there to do.

Gee, is there a NEW function in IR, I have never used it Laughing

Actually, I have used it 1k or more times but just for the purpose of testing RDF's. I always start with either an existing upgrade or a fresh download for the very reason that happened in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: