JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KeymapMaster 7.58 putting EFC 000 on mute key

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsysblh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: KeymapMaster 7.58 putting EFC 000 on mute key Reply with quote

Anyone else notice that the mute key is given EFC 000 even when it is supposed to be unmapped according to the Buttons worksheet?

Is this a bug in keymap master, or a restriction in the device? (I am assigning functions to vol+ and vol-) It could be as simple as all 3 V functions must be mapped at once. (vol+, vol-, mute)

This is a URC-8810w. I have been playing with extender 3, but KeymapMaster won't care about that.

I suppose there could also be something weird going in in IR, but I don't think so.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: KeymapMaster 7.58 putting EFC 000 on mute key Reply with quote

nsysblh wrote:
It could be as simple as all 3 V functions must be mapped at once. (vol+, vol-, mute)

Correct.

A device upgrade cannot include any one of those without including all three. That is not a limitation of KM, that is a limitation of the remote which KM understands.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mute is bundled with the Vol+ and -. if you enter a value for one, you must for the other two as well, or it will be done for you. the default is 000 for anything unassigned. if your device actually uses an efc of 000, and it's not one of the volume subset, that could produce surprising results. This also holds true for other keys that are grouped, like the digits, and channels. For instance, it's common for some receiver codes to use digits for inputs. If "audio" has the digits grouped, in the rdf, and your receiver only has 5 inputs and you assigned them to 1-5, 6-0 will have "000" assigned to them. So, your guess is correct, although it's a known "factor" and could be argued if it's a "bug" or not.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could not be argued that it's a bug as it was deliberately designed that way. The assumption being that most devices that have volume up/down controls will also have a MUTE button. Likewise, the assumption is that if a device has numeric buttons for 0 thru (let's say) 6, it will also have buttons for 7 thru 9.

These groupings allow the remote to use 1 bit to control each group, rather than 2, 3 or 10 bits. When spread over the hundreds of setup codes included in each remote, these savings can add up.

The downside is that for the few devices that don't follow these rules, you have to waste a byte by programming the remaining button(s) anyway.
nsysblh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a problem. Now that I know, I'll probably put something on the remaining key(s). As many other warnings as KeymapMaster has, I thought it odd that it never said anything about the key not having a definition. Weirdly, it seems to count the unused but necessary keys in the count of used keys. So, part of the logic is there to recognize the condition. Just nothing to let you know you are possibly going to get some EFC 000 keys.

I'm all for saving space. I think grouping functions was the right way to go. Those device upgrade strings are very short for the information they contain. I figured they made every bit count for something.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM doesn't warn you about it because it handles the situation for you. In the (very) early days, KM did post a warning that you had to assign a function to every button in the group or the upgrade wouldn't work, but then we added code that will fill in the omitted buttons with meaningless codes.

From a user POV, if you didn't program a function to the button, the assumption is that you're not going to be using the button for anything, so therefore, what do you care if some meaningless code is programmed there.

However, if the 00 code performs a function and you find yourself hitting this button often by mistake, maybe you should pick a different meaningless code and program it there yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: