JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best JP1 remote?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barchamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Best JP1 remote? Reply with quote

I've got the RS 15-1994. Got it a couple years ago when I first heard about the JP1 stuff. I love it. It's taken everything I've thrown at it over the years and I'm not even pushing it's cababilites. I love the way it looks, I love the way it feels, and the backlight is awesome. I laugh at the Pronto people and others who have spents hundreds of dollars for a remote, and mine does just as good for $20.

So, since it's been a coule years since I've been around here, what's the hot model now? Is the 1994 still the one to beat, or has RS or OFA come out with something better (that still has the JP1 interface)?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some would say that the 1994 will never be beat. However, it's been discontinued for some time so it's pretty darn hard to come across one. Of the curreent crop of ueic remotes, probably the most popular these days is 1. RS 15-2116/7 (Similar to the 1994 with lcd screen minus the smart keys). 2. 8811/8810w an 8 device learner with the most buttons, and still has smart-key equivalents. 3. the OFA 8910, another lcd remote with a good number of buttons and "smart-type" keys, although it's popularily may improve with the change from the stupid "donut" arrow keys to conventional ones. 4. Not JP-1 ready, but the 6131 OFA has a good following by pvr fanatics, especially when modified for Jp-1. 5. Another not JP-1 ready but modifyable is the much smaller 6012/6011. 1 and 2 are the most popular now.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with the 15-2116/7 and URC-8811 being at the top of the pile, though I don't think I've heard too many people singing the praises of the URC-8910 to warrant it being on the list.

As for the not JP1 ready remotes, like the URC-6131 and URC-6012, I always have JP1 modified versions of both of these remotes available for sale.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: Silly question, but where on your site are the modified 6131's available for sale? I want to provide a link for someone who's interested.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so silly question, but I haven't actually created a page for the remotes I sell yet, I've been doing it all by word of mouth so far.

Tell ya what, I'll post something in the Market Place forum that you can link to. Here's the link:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2634
Lenroc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, thanks for the link.

On the 6131's: You mention that you add the JP1 header, but do you also add the 2k EEPROM?

If not, how much EEPROM is in there 'stock', and can it be used for JP1 without it?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be silly to add the pins and not an eeprom. Rest assured that if the pins, jumper, etc are added, a 2K eeprom is as well. Without an eeprom JP-1 is a dead issue, JP-1 reads/writes to the eeprom. "stock", there isn't an eeprom, just a place for one.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I actually said was that I'd made the remotes "JP1 ready". Everything that we do here in the JP1 world boils down to reading and writing data to the EEPROM chip, so without the EEPROM there's no JP1.

For the curious, for the URC-6131s I just added a 2k EEPROM and a 6-pin header. For the URC-6012 and URC-8011s I also added a wire across JMP2. For the RCA RCU810s, I soldered in the 6-pin header in such a way that it doesn't stick through and mess up the buttons, then I loaded it up with hot glue to keep it in place.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing it up. I didn't know if the 6131 had an EEPROM or not out of the box, which is why I asked. (Note the original questions...)
David_Levin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm looking for a quick and dirty jp1 remote for a guest room (wanna save my spare 1994 for better things). Whats the cheapest thing I can find locally, with the jp1 connector, that I can upload a quick 4 devices to (don't need an extender)?

Or, perhaps I'll just grab a 6012 from Rob.
Lenroc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David:

As is posted in almost every thread about this (including this one), you may want to check out the 8810w from Wal-Mart.

(Edited for politeness, sorry...)

Last edited by Lenroc on Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

I use a Millenium4 for our "bedroom remote", and the wife and I love it. 4 devicer, with hidden 5th device support. "Cable" upgrades hold 42 functions without keymoves, 3 "supermacro keys". "Rocker" volume like on 1994. JP-1 ready to go. 10.00 plus 2.50 US 1st class mail. See "Marketplace" for more details.

Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I think the best small JP1 remote is the URC-6012, but it needs modifications to be JP1 ready. You can pick it up for just $15 at most Walmarts and do the mods yourself, or get one from me ready to go for $15. Actually, I just checked to see if I have any left and I still have 2, so you're ok.
David_Levin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenroc wrote:
David:

As is posted in almost every thread about this (including this one), you may want to check out the 8810w from Wal-Mart.

Took a cruise to Wal-Mart (Denver, Co). Couldn't fine the 8810w. An annoyance of the store is that the stock tends to rotate.

Thanks, Anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: