JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discretes for Toshiba 30HF84 and H/K AVR65

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hades

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Discretes for Toshiba 30HF84 and H/K AVR65 Reply with quote

Hello all. I decided to get into JP1 after reading about it last week for the first time and seeing the potential. Got myself a used 8910 (thanks Rob) as a beater to program my other remotes (mostly HTM). Over the weekend, I made a JP1 cable after stoping at Rat shack, downloaded the software, and did a lot of reading. Everything worked out great.

I have managed to nail down discrete on/off commands for all of my equipment in my Living/Theater Room (Denon 1600 and 4802, Pioneer Pro-630HD, Dtivo DSR6000, and Samsung 160 HD box). Now I am trying to figure out the ones from my computer room and having trouble.

I did a few searches and found mention of the Toshiba RPTV codes working with the HF84's. I tried all of the codes I could find (Yahoo forum, a bunch of the CCFs posted on remote central, etc) but have had no luck in getting the ones listed to work. I have found even less for the Harman-Kardon AVR65 Reciever. Tried other models from the same brand on both components but none have worked. Can anyone offer any sugestions?

Also, what is a UNIT CODE? When using KM, I tried the discretes for the H/K AVR80MkII which uses the RC-5x protocol and requries the UNIT CODE be entered for Byte 2.

Finally, is there a difference between NEC and NEC1 protocol? I leadened the power button my the Toshiba's remote and looked at it in IR6. It listed NEC but KM and RM only have NEC1, NEC2, etc. as a chocie. Am I correct in assuming NEC = NEC1?

Thanks for any info and the site in general, it has be really helpful.

Ernie
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Discretes for Toshiba 30HF84 and H/K AVR65 Reply with quote

hades wrote:

Also, what is a UNIT CODE? When using KM, I tried the discretes for the H/K AVR80MkII which uses the RC-5x protocol and requries the UNIT CODE be entered for Byte 2.

I'm not certain. An RC5x signal encodes three values, but the naming of those three values isn't consistent across all our tools.

One of the values is the device (called "system" in the official Philips terminology). That one should be pretty obvious and for devices which mix RC5 and RC5x the device is normally the same between them.

The other two values, seem to be expected as "OBC" and "unit" on KM's function sheet (for RC5x). I think the "unit" is the RC5x field that normally matches the OBC of the related RC5 signal (which is the one DecodeIr calls subdevice) and I think the RC5x OBC is the third value.

I might have all that wrong. If no one who knows answers, just try the three numbers in the three places and if it doesn't work, try a different sequence.

hades wrote:

Finally, is there a difference between NEC and NEC1 protocol? I leadened the power button my the Toshiba's remote and looked at it in IR6. It listed NEC but KM and RM only have NEC1, NEC2, etc. as a chocie. Am I correct in assuming NEC = NEC1?

NEC means an imperfect learn in which you can't tell whether it's really NEC1 or NEC2. But Toshiba is NEC1, so you guessed right.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, keep in mind that Toshiba is the #1 TOAD brand, so if you end up finding that your Toshiba device lacks discrete codes, don't be too surprised.
hades

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, I will fool around with the RC5x protocols. Figures about Toshiba, should have gotten the samsung Confused.

Ernie
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sansung's the #2 TOAD company! Smile
hades

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Sansung's the #2 TOAD company! Smile

DOOOOHHHH!!!!! Surprised Surprised Surprised
spooky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two HK receivers the AVR500 and the AVR300. Both of them use the AVR setting on the quasi universal remote as power on and the power button when in AVR mode as power off. I have, also, discovered that sending any of the input selections, such as Video 1 or DVD will turn the unit on. That saves me a step in macros anyway. And I use the power signal to turn it off. I hope that helps.
hades

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoky: Thanks for the info. My 65 does the thing with the power on when an input is selected as well. But I do not exactly follow what you mean about the AVR settings on your remote as power off. Are you saying you have a remote that has the discrete off that might work?

Thanks
Ernie
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hades wrote:
Are you saying you have a remote that has the discrete off that might work?
I think he's saying that he uses the input select commands as his power ON, and the regular power button (presumably a toggle command) as power OFF.
spooky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I did not explain it very well. The HK remote has a number of devices it is supposed to be able to control Of course it has a limited built in code base so of course it will not work with any semblance of a home theater.

The "device button to change it to the receiver" is AVR on the remote. That is a discrete on only button. If you push it with the receiver on it stays on. There is a power button when the remote is in "AVR" or receiver device mode. That power button is power off only. If you push it with the power off the receiver stays off. So those two buttons on the original HK remote are discretes in the true sense of the word. I offered the input change as a workaround if the newer HK is not wired that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: