JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EEprom size for 6131 remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngbauer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: EEprom size for 6131 remote Reply with quote

I assume that this question fits into the extenders section.
I am about to add eeproms to some 6131s. Besides the 2k I ordered a couple of larger ones (4k, 8k, 16k)
In the remotes.xls table the column ">2k Support" shows "???".
Does that mean that 4k, 8k, 16k eeproms haven't been tested or that they aren't supported. The only rdf's I see are for 6012 & 881X (8k) and 2133( 4k).
If they are not supported what would have to be done to make them supported?
The price difference for the chips seems to be so small that I sould seem to be nice to have all that that extra space.

John
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: EEprom size for 6131 remote Reply with quote

johngbauer wrote:

If they are not supported what would have to be done to make them supported?

The complicate kludge to support a 4K+ eeprom that is not natively supported is ONLY possible in the 601X/801X/881X family of remotes. In other remotes 4K+ eeproms are either totally unsupportable or correctly supported without any Kludge.

I suspect that the answer for 6131 is totally unsupportable (or someone would have already made the RDF).

If it is correctly supported without any kludge (in a 15-2133 for example), you still need a different RDF for 4K+ vs. 2K, but (unless you use an extender) there is no reason for a seperate RDF for 8K or 16K vs. 4K. Without an extender, the remote can use the space above 4K only as extra upgrade space (not for learning or KeyMoves etc.) but IR.EXE does not know how to use that space for upgrades, so the space ends up unused and an 8K eeprom acts just like a 4K.

In the 601X family, even without an extender, you need a unique RDF for each different 4K+ eeprom. An 8K eeprom still lets you use just 4K (without the extender) but doesn't work with the 4K RDF.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-6131s only support EEPROMs up to 2k.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: