JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

'NT Port' error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: 'NT Port' error Reply with quote

I've read all the beginner's stuff I can find, got a cable, got an 8910 remote, and was finally starting to have time to play with getting the remote exactly how I want it. However, when I start ir.exe (latest from Yahoo, I get an 'NT Port error. Tried one last thing before posting this, and it turns out that the culprit was that I was running the software from a network drive.

Anyone know why this should be an issue? Once loaded, the software shouldn't know 'from whence it came', you would thiink. Now I have to keep the IR directory and all the files on one PC, and put changes back to the file server I back up. No big problem, but puzzling.

Anyway, no matter what, this should be added to the beginners doc, since I didn't find it mentioned at Yahoo anywhere.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run IR.exe under NT, XP or Win2000 you need to be logged on with admin privileges.

Rob
http://www.hifi-remote.com
leesweet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. It said that. That's not at all what I'm reporting. I ran the program from a network drive. It bitches about the 'NT port service'. I run it locally (after copying the whole IR diectory, which has the program, all spreadsheets, device files, etc.) to the local drive and it's fine.

I'm local admin on all the machines involved.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR.EXE needs to install that gwiopm.sys file.
I'm not sure how/where it installs it. I half understand why that step fails when IR and gwiopm.sys are both being accessed over a network.

I'm not sure if there is a place you could put just gwiopm.sys (rather than the whole IR package) that would fix this, or a change Mark might make in the way IR handles gwiopm.sys that would cover it for everyone using a network.
leesweet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, that makes sense, thanks! But, you would think it would 'install' it on the machine IR is run on, not there the directory is.. Anyhoo, my main point was that the error message needs to perhaps be changed (or the doc changed) to say that the best method is to run everything locally. The average PC-literate person's answer to that popup ("need to be admin") is: #*$*# I *AM* logged in as the admin! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: