JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-2104 vs. 15-1994

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barchamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: 15-2104 vs. 15-1994 Reply with quote

I've had a 15-1994 for a couple years now. Did the JP1 mod back then and have been singing it's praises to anyone that will listen. With every new a/v device I buy, I laugh at how easy this thing is to setup and use as I throw the remote that came with it into the drawer.

Anyway, I have a friend that wants a remote like mine, but I can't find any 15-1994's anywhere. Anyone here got one for sale?

Alternatively, there is a 15-2104 on eBay right now. Is it as good as the 15-1994? Does it have the JP1 built on, or would he have to put one on it?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2104 is a reasonable close approximation to the 1994. The biggest difference and complaint is that the "P" button is semi-recessed, so if you're like me, I need to find something to depress it, like a ball-point. If you use a lot of "shifted" keys, this would definately make you cuss. Some have, however, "extended" that button to make it more accessible. The back-lighting is also a little different, but not something terribly different. It does, however, retain the "smart keys", unlike the newest "replacement' the 2116/7 which deleted them. If you liked using these for macros, then you'll be a little disappointed with the 2116/7 (It also has an lcd screen). There are other somewhat subtle differences between the 2104 and 1994, but since YOU won't be the user, perhaps they wouldn't be so objectionable. TYhey were on closeout at RS for 9.97 for a while, but finding one now at any shack would be near impossible, if at all.

Jim
barchamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. So, does it have the JP1 interface built into it, like th 1994?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 15-2104 vs. 15-1994 Reply with quote

barchamb wrote:
I've had a 15-1994 for a couple years now. Did the JP1 mod back then and have been singing it's praises to anyone that will listen. With every new a/v device I buy, I laugh at how easy this thing is to setup and use as I throw the remote that came with it into the drawer.

Anyway, I have a friend that wants a remote like mine, but I can't find any 15-1994's anywhere. Anyone here got one for sale?

Alternatively, there is a 15-2104 on eBay right now. Is it as good as the 15-1994? Does it have the JP1 built on, or would he have to put one on it?
People tend to hold onto their 15-1994 as they are great and also hard to find.

The 2104 is functionally close and does have the built in jp1 connector and there is also an extender available for it. It is really a matter of preference for feel of buttons etc.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 15-2104's because my kids lose and break remotes enough that I felt that getting six at ten dollars each (when that oportunity existed) made more sense than buying a better model (such as the 8811).

The 15-2104 has a number of stupid features that make it inferior to a 15-1994. The software "extender" (not to be confused with extending the P button) deals with most of them, so I'd never consider using the 15-2104 without the extender and I don't even remember the details of those stupid restrictions since I never used a 2104 without the extender.

I never tried extending the P key. I totally depend on shifted functions and the recessed P key would make those useless. One feature of the software extender is that it lets you use a different key for shift. I use the Home theater key, since another extender feature is "dynamic home theater" giving you all the advantages of home theater mode without its disadvantages so there's never a need to switch it on or off, so you don't need a home theater key.

The significant remaining disadvantage of the 2104 is that the button contact is not as positive as on the 1994 and other UIE remotes. It sometimes feels like you pressed a button and you really didn't and you need to press it harder or straighter to really press it. On most UEI remotes there is better tactile feedback so you know whether you pressed a button well enough by feel without waiting to see if anything happens on the controlled device.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 15-2104 vs. 15-1994 Reply with quote

barchamb wrote:

I have a friend that wants a remote like mine, but I can't find any 15-1994's anywhere.

I suggest the 8810w at Walmart. It has more keys than the 15-2104 in a better arrangement, with better tactile feedback. In most locations it's easy to get (vs. waiting for eBay) and I doubt the eBay price for a 2104 would be enough better than $20 for the 8810w to justify the risk and inconvenience (If a Walmart purchase were DOA for any reason, they take it back, no questions, no hassles).

The 8810w has fewer stupio restrictions (on Macros etc.) than the 2104 if you don't use the extender and a slightly better extender if you do.

It lacks the nice non slip black coating that the 1994 and 2104 have but that's a small fault against its many advantages.

As a 1994 replacement, a 15-2104 is good because the key layout is close enough to reduce relearning time. The 8810w is quite different. As a new remote with JP1 programmability (the connector IS built in) for use by someone who isn't used to the 1994, the 8810w has a better key layout.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the main question, yes the 15-2104 does have the JP1 connector built in so you won't have to add it.

Most of it's restrictions can be overcome using JP1.

However, in my opinion, it's greatest downside is it's physical appearance. They've done away with the nice rocker buttons for volume and channel changing. They've also replaced the distinctive "wagon wheel" style arrow buttons with regular buttons.

The net result is that when you look at the remote you just see a whole lot of buttons with nothing standing out, whereas with the 15-1994 you can easily distinguish the different buttons based on their shape and position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: