JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need cheap, SHORT range IR repeater (like 2 feet away!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Need cheap, SHORT range IR repeater (like 2 feet away!) Reply with quote

OK, I'm hoping since there are so many experienced IR users here, someone has an answer for me on this:

Are there any inexpensive single unit IR repeater I can use to get an IR signal relayed just a couple of feet via a blaster or other emitter?

Here's my situation:
All my equipment is in a "media niche" that's recessed into the wall in the living room. We recently got a projector (for movie night) with a Da-Lite screen that "pops-up" from a base unit sitting on the floor.

The bottom 23" or so of the material (the non "Screen" part) is perforated and passes IR quite nicely. This is convenient since the best/only place to setup the screen is basically right in front of the media niche. Currently I have my Receiver and DVD player mounted at the lowest positions in the niche, which means I can control them perfectly through the perforated blackout material.

My TiVo and VCR, however, are higher in the rack and behind the "white" part of the screen, so they don't see the remote unless I get up and stick it behind the screen! Mad (Obviously this complicates watching TiVo'd and VHS movies on the PJ...)

As a stop gap, I'll probably rearrange my rack so the TiVo is where the DVD player is. Both my current receiver and DVD player are Pioneer units, so for the near term I can use the "SR" control link to relay commands from the "visible" receiver to the now "hidden" DVD player.

However for the long term, I plan on replacing the DVD player, and probably NOT with a Pioneer unit.

Basically I need an inexpensive way to get the IR from the lower part of the niche to the upper part, preferably without having to buy one of those $200 Multiroom IR distribution systems. I also feel pretty silly getting one of those "Powermid" IR distribution things just so I can sit the reciever right next to the transmitter, although at least that's a better bang for the buck...

I had hoped to be able to "hack" the Pioneer SR link to blast the TiVo, but research indicates its not just a relay, but that the receiver actually processes and evaluates the command before passing onto the SR cable... bummer.

Anyone have any better ideas?
Herbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, gotta love google, once you give it the right search parameters.

I'll be building either a Mk. 4 or Mk. 5 circuit from here:
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Interface/rce.htm

Assuming I can get ahold of the right ICs without too much hassle.

I'll report back on my progress...
Dabbith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how it would look, but you might be able to get a way with a mirror placed behind the perforated portion of the screen to get the IR up to the other componenets.

Another option would be an IR/RF JP1 capable remote.

Or for $50 you could go the commercial route:
http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/201/prrfnbr/665
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: