JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Finding discrete on/off codes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnatGoSplat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Finding discrete on/off codes? Reply with quote

I have a Gateway Connected DVD Player. I've loaded the txt file from the Yahoogroups into my remote, and it works great.

However, the person that created the txt file didn't find the discrete on/off codes. I'm not sure if they're even available in the DVD player, but how can I find out? It looks like the EFC's range from 0-255, it seems like it would take a very long time using KM, IR, and reprogramming my remote every time to try a handful of different EFCs (minus the ones that are already known, of course).

Is there an easy way to scan them?

I used to have an HP48G calculator, for which there was a program called REM34BG or something like that. It was possible to write little scripts that would generate IR code with a button press, and increment the EFC for each press. It was nice for finding undocumented functions. I sold my HP48G calculator years ago though. Surely there is a better way?
PGBELL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just a beginner, but I think you should check the code search forum.
In the forum read the 3rd sticky, on finding discrete codes. good luck!!

Pete
GnatGoSplat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up doing the brute-force method... trying all possible EFC's from 0-255. There are NO discrete on/off codes for this DVD player.

Unfortunately, no other key (PLAY, EJECT, etc) will turn on the player either.

How irritating. Sad
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So go on, tell us how long the "brute force" method took you? I'm guessing it was less than 10 minutes.
GnatGoSplat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it took about an hour.
There were about 20-30 EFC's with known functions, so I had to try over 200.
My remote has 40-some buttons, so I entered 40 functions/EFC's into KM, mapped them to the 40-some buttons, copied into IR, programmed into remote, went and tried them on the DVD player (with it on and off), came back, did it again with different numbers... took about 5-times to get through all the EFC's.
I could have saved some trips by using shift-key, but I thought it would save time not to.

There might have been a faster/better way, but I don't know what it could be!
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some unmodified/unextended remotes allow you to transmit EFC's directly by pressing setup and then the 3-digit code. I have tried lots of unknown codes quickly this way.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you already understand this, but if you do it with a devcie upgrade it may be more useful to use OBC's. Some protocols have only 64 or 128 commands (or less) and running through all EFC's will just send the same commands two or four times (or more).

For those of you who don't frequent the AVS Forum remote area, GGS wrote up a very good description of his JP1 experience at the bottom of this thread
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than make all those trips back to your PC, you could have loaded all 4 or 5 upgrades into the remote at one time and assigned them to each of the available device buttons.

When I've used the manual SETUP+nnn method that Lurker mentioned, I've blown through all 255 codes in less than 10 minutes.
GnatGoSplat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon, I didn't know I could use OBC's instead of EFC's since I don't really understand the mechanics of it yet.

Yeah, to load 4 or 5 upgrades into the remote at a time would have been the smarter thing to do. It was way past my bedtime and for some reason, I was still in the mindset I had with my Sony RM-AV3000 where you overwrite something you needed, you've lost it forever.
I went so far as to put those codes in a device I don't use. In hindsight, that was a silly idea because I could just have reloaded my old config file and restored the remote to exactly the way I had it.

I didn't know about the SETUP+nnn. That would have been nice to know!

Anyway, other than the stupid DVD player not supporting discrete codes of anykind, I have the rest of my system working perfectly, it's so simple, my wife loves it! JP1 on a cheap OFA remote is sooooo much better than my Sony RM-AV3000, RM-AV2100 before it, and RM-VL1000. I plan to replace them all with inexpensive JP1 remotes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: