JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

sample request of information form - opinions welcomed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: sample request of information form - opinions welcomed! Reply with quote

New users sometimes omit crucial information when requesting device upgrade files. This usually results in a response such as:
Anonymous Expert wrote:
As with all questions like this, it pays to give us as much basic info as possible, because in all likelyhood, the person who helps you will now have to waste his valuable time using a search engine to figure it out. So... What sort of cursed device is an "XYZ100" (ie, is it a VCR, DVD, CD, etc), and who makes the wreched thing (Sony, Panasonic, Acme, etc)
Perhaps a sample of what a well-crafted, information-rich request looks like would help new users create better requests of their own:

---------------------------------------------------------
(SAMPLE) Code Search Request
My Location is: Moscow
My Remote is (will be): 15-1994
The devices I wish to control listed by type/make/model number:
.....tv / emerson / B436-Q
.....vcr / panasonic / X769J
.....dvd / jvc / RK123-7
.....receiver / sony / ABC-123.2
My JP1 status:
......? got JP1 cable (/type:simple or ultra) ?: I ordered an ultra cable last week
......? got excel/KM/RM (/version)?: Excel 2000; KM version 17.57; no RM
......? got IR (/version): I have IR version 10.03
Request:
I am new to JP1, and would love to be able to control all my devices with my remote. When my JP1 cable arrives I want to be ready to go. Do any files exist already for my devices? Where are they hiding? You are all great and wonderful, especially the one of you that helps me the most. If you ever come to Moscow, look me up. If I am still alive, we can get plastered on vodka and then do the cosssack dance all night, or at least until we start vomiting or pass out...

Sincerely,
Nedsky the Newbie
-------------------------------------------------------------
JP1Files
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: