JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony RM-Y809 Remote Fix for HD TiVo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TiVo Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Sony RM-Y809 Remote Fix for HD TiVo Reply with quote

looking to get my girlfriend off my back!!!!. She loves the RM-Y809 Sony TiVo remote and I Iove the networking of the Philips TiVo's, so I'm hoping that you are my answer. I was reading on the forums that you can make the Sony MR.-Y809 remote, control the Philips TiVo's or any other device for that matter. Is that true? can you make it a learning remote? If so, I also have a HD TiVo that I was told this works for also. I'm willing to do soldering or other to get this done. can you help? thanks Rob
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RM-Y809 is already a learning remote.

There is a published hack here (in the Hardware folder) which allows you to convert the remote into a JP1 compatible remote. This involves constructing a 6-pin connector and optionally replacing the 1k EEPROM with a 2k chip.

Once it's converted, you can then load upgrades into it to make it control any device you like. With the 2k chip installed, you can also load an extender that will convert the remote into a 12 device universal remote.

If you end up going the extender route, let us know because we just fixed a minor bug in it that was preventing the SHIFT operation from working.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM-Y809 can learn on a few buttons without a mod. (See here.)

If you add a JP1 connector and install the extender program, it can control up to 12 different devices and do macros. With the eeprom replaced with 2K, it can do a lot more. See the instructions in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Extenders/Sony%20DirecTivo/

Hal
TiVo Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: adding the wiring mod to my RM-Y809 Remote Reply with quote

is there a service out there that mods the remotes. I need 2 of them done, So I can program the HD Tivo into one of them and and older peanut remote replacment. thanks for the heads up so far. I'm on the right track.

Rob
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mod is too involved for it to be cost effective to have someone else do it (ie, they will likely charge you more than you think the remote is worth). But if cost is not an issue, I have modded these remotes for people before, but like I said, it's not cheap. Drop me a line if you're interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: