JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Happy Belated Birthday to JP1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Happy Belated Birthday to JP1 Reply with quote

Everything is so well crafted and easy to use here. So much so, that I thought for sure JP1 had been around for a very very long time. So I was quite surprised to read
Quote:
If the JP1 Project had a birthday, it would be 10/06/2000, that's the date of Dan's first post (under the name HWHackr) over at Remote Central giving some early details of what he had discovered. Here's the thread: RS 15-1994 JP1 details revealed
For other newbies, this thread is worth a read. The excitement is palpable as Dan reveals what he has discovered and everyone else realizes they are witnessing the birth of something truly amazing. Kudos to these early pioneers.
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just re-reading some of those early posts the other day and they do make for some interesting reading.

I was already something of an expert with OFA and RS remotes even before that point (I had already started the hifi-remote.com site, for example) but I was indeed very excited when I saw Dan's post. As he didn't post an email address, I had to post something pleading with him to drop me a line. Then he would dump the memory and I would decode it.

I had the world's only upgraded 15-1994 at that point also, as a friend over at UEI had upgraded it for me, so I reluctantly sent it to Dan so he could dump it, then he sent me the file so I could decode it.

We got the general layout fairly quickly, including the format of the upgrade section, but we didn't know what the data in the protocol upgrades was, nor did we know the format of the learned signals data, those would both come later.

An early hacker by the name of Kevin Timmerman originally thought the processor used in remotes like the 15-1994 was a Zilog Z8, and this was close enough that we were able to start reading and understanding the protocol code, but then Mark Pauker (the author of IR.exe) discovered that it was really a Samsung S3C8. I just searched the Yahoo archives and found the original post where he mentions his new find: msg #1823
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: