JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fastmedia Packard Bell Remote Control for pc and 7560

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Fastmedia Packard Bell Remote Control for pc and 7560 Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had a 7560 for four years, and I'm an happy owner of a fully customized remote with macros, device upgrade and so on.

I'm a little bit behind with update on latest news (Last Ir on my hard drive was 2.03...) but I woul like to catch up with the control of my PC thorugh my 7560. Smile

After a quick search I have found out that probably the best solution is to buy a Packard Bell Fastmedia remote and then... I need your help. Smile

My options are:
- Configure the Packard Bell with my applications, then using the learning of 7560 to use my own remote to do the job
- Know what codes is using the Packard Bell and create my own configuration with KM and IR (or as above trying to identify the protocol)
- Because someone claims that this has an "universal remote" receiver, and uses winlirc to read remote code, maybe I can use other codes rather than the Packard Bell and reach my goal.

I have found this link on characteristics of the IR protocol of this remote

http://tparker.customer.netspace.net.au//projects/packardbell/

And something more general on this topic.

http://modasylum.com/guides.php?guide=16&page=0

Has anyone had any experience with this hardware?

Is that possible what I say at least at point 1 of my list?

Thanks,

Sergio
bizzybody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know if it's possible to clone the Fastmedia remote as a JP1 upgrade? Then I could still have only one remote even after I setup a PC*
as an MP3 and video player.

*Currently I have everything but a remote. It's a Super 7 board with a K6-2 450 or 500 Mhz CPU, 128 megs RAM, integrated video, audio and LAN. The only board that will be plugged in is a Diamond Multimedia MPEG2 decoder. It's an analog overlay type but it works very nicely. Unfortunately the drivers only support Windows 95 original oficially, but I've tested it with 98SE and Power DVD 3.0. This incarnation of my media PC will likely be just for playing commecrial DVDs and MP3s, with 98SE stripped to bare bones with nliteOS. Smile
cythraul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fastmedia Packard Bell Remote Control for pc and 7560 Reply with quote

I have been using this receiver/remote combo for a while with my Ubuntu box with MythTV. It works fairly well. However, it's not a programmable remote and I wanted to use my newly acquired VUR8 which is JP1.3 in order reduce remote clutter in the living room. :)

I have no other IR receiver to test with but I have not been able to use correctly this receiver with RC5, RC6 and NEC1 protocols.

When running irrecord, there's always a problem. Using RC5, it always says "something went wrong" when learning the buttons. With RC6, it can't find the toggle bit. With NEC1 is goes to RAW mode.

The funny thing is that I had no problem learning the bundled remote buttons with irrecord. It's very responsive, etc. Just lack buttons.

I was ecstatic to find a link in your post with the specs to the protocol used by the remote. I was hopeful to find a suitable protocol that I can convert my upgrade to. Unfortunately it's a dead link since it's a old post.

Does anyone have the information on the protocol used by this remote?

Thanks!

FYI, my lircd.conf for this remote:

Code:
begin remote
  name  lircd.conf
  bits           16
  flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100
  header       9071  4540
  one           594  1648
  zero          594   540
  ptrail        572
  repeat       9045  2295
  pre_data_bits   16
  pre_data       0x8F7
  gap          108117
  toggle_bit_mask 0x0
      begin codes
          menu                     0x08F7
          1                        0x42BD
          2                        0xC23D
          3                        0xE817
          4                        0x02FD
          5                        0x827D
          6                        0x6897
          7                        0x40BF
          8                        0xC03F
          9                        0xA857
          0                        0x807F
          *                        0x00FF
          #                        0x28D7
          display                  0xF00F
          enter                    0x708F
          mute                     0x8877
          vol+                     0x48B7
          vol-                     0xC837
          ch+                      0xB04F
          ch-                      0x30CF
          up                       0x906F
          down                     0x50AF
          left                     0x10EF
          right                    0xD02F
          rwd                      0xB847
          fwd                      0x38C7
          cd                       0xA05F
          aux1                     0xE01F
          aux2                     0xA25D
          aux3                     0xE21D
          help                     0x20DF
          phone                    0x609F
          message                  0x22DD
          srs                      0x629D
      end codes
end remote
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is NEC1 device 16, and menu is OBC 16 (just reverse the bits in the first byte). But why not learn the signals with your Vizio remote, and let RMIR tell you what the signals are? Then you can make an upgrade.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put the lirc file through lirc2xml, result here. Yes, it is NEC1, device=16. The I put the generated xml file through lirc2rmdu (same link), did some trivial manual editing with a text editor and RM, and the result is here.

3FG wrote:
But why not learn the signals with your Vizio remote, and let RMIR tell you what the signals are?

As I have shown, there is a much better way. No need to learn again what is already learned.
cythraul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'll try this when I get to my place tonight! :)
cythraul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I did was to load the upgrade you created with lirc2xml. Unfortunately, while it did see something going thru with mode2, lirc was not able tu understand the keys I was pressing.

Then I tried 3fg's suggestion. Tedious, especially when you have 3 children running around. I was able to learn all the keys to my VUR8. It then worked right out of the box.

I imported the remote in RMIR (that I just discovered.. all that time I was using RM _and_ IR back and forth. :)

Here's the RMIR file.

I still need to convert this into an upgrade and add keys... But at least I can finally use minimally my VUR8 and ditch that Packard Bell remote.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The learns look fine. You can highlight the entire column of OBCs, copy and then paste into a device upgrade. If the function names are mostly correct, you can also copy and paste those into your upgrade also. I find that it is best to highlight, and right click, and select copy, as opposed to Ctrl-C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: