JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to use discrete codes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PGBELL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: How to use discrete codes? Reply with quote

1. Device: Sony kv-40xbr800
2. Type of device:t.v.
3. Remote model:UEI 8810w
4. JP1 user? yes
5. Still have original remote? yes
6. Checked Yahoo file section? yes
7. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? yes

I have set up my remote with a factory code that was in the remote for my t.v. (0000). All works fine. I would like to set up discrete on and off commands. I went to remote central and copied the codes for the on and off commands. Sorry, I can not figure out how to use the codes. Do I use the IR program or the KM program? Then what do I do with the code?
This should be a off code:

0000 0067 0000 000d 0060 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0030 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 0018 03de

Thanks Pete
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, I have the same TV. Just do keymoves in IR.exe with TV/0000 to whatever keys you want to assign the discrete commands to and assign EFC 113=On and EFC 109=Off.
PGBELL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JON,
Thanks for the quick reply!
I have 2 questions:

1) How would I use the code I got from remote central on my own?

2) How would I find out the EFC codes that you posted, on my own

EFC 113=On and EFC 109=Off.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGBELL wrote:
1) How would I use the code I got from remote central on my own?
The easiest way to decode Pronto hex is to use Dan Arnolds's modified version of IRTool in conjunction with John Fine's DecodeIR.dll.

Quote:
2) How would I find out the EFC codes that you posted, on my own
EFC 113=On and EFC 109=Off.

The modified IRTool will pop a dialog box with protocol/device/sub-device/OBC and EFC. The even easier way is to go to the Advanced Code (aka EFC) List section at http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml and find them. For Sony gear there is an even better source but it takes some study.
PGBELL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
Thanks for the info. I now can use the IR tool to find out my own info. I tried it and it worked great....also very easy to use.
Is their a limit to how many key moves I can make, before I fill the memory? If so, Is their a way to add the codes to a device set up with a factory code, or do I need to do an upgrade to add the discrete code?

Thanks!!
Pete
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGBELL wrote:
Is their a limit to how many key moves I can make, before I fill the memory?

Yes there is certainly a limit. Your remote like most OFA remotes has 2KB of memory in the EEPROM. In an un-extended remote half is allocated to learning and the other half is further subdivided approximately equally between device upgrades and a combination of Macros and key moves.

Most key moves take 5 bytes and if you had no macros you get about 100 key moves. Most of us find that macros are pretty important too, so we bump up against that memory limit pretty early on.

Device upgrades have a few bytes of overhead and then it's pretty much one byte per command. So as we run out of Macro/KeyMove memory we go to device upgrades to recover memory. Because of limitations baked into the remotes certain keys can only be used by a key move. These include shifted keys and phantom keys.

Fortunately, there are advanced tools known as extenders that recover the learning memory that we don't need and re-allocate the memory to what the JP1 user needs.

The typical progression, is key moves to get the functions you want, then macros to make it easier to use, device upgrades to recover key move/macro memory and then extenders. So for now don't worry about it. How far you go depends on the complexity of what you are trying to control.

Quote:
If so, Is their a way to add the codes to a device set up with a factory code, or do I need to do an upgrade to add the discrete code?

If you use a built in setup code you can only add to that with key-moves. I like to use the phantom keys that are labeled Discrete On and Off for discrete power commands. I only use them in macros (which is the only way you can use phantom keys). That way the remote appears to work the same way it always did. If you assign Power On to the Power button and Power Off to Sleep, then some house-guest will not be able to turn the TV off. Don Grovestine wrote an excellent description of how this all works. It gets pretty technical pretty fast, but it covers the basics in the introductory sections and is a great reference.

To keep all this straight, since what can be done is quite amazing; just remember that all we can do is read and write from and to 2KB of EEPROM.
PGBELL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,
O.K. I am catching on to this JP 1 stuff pretty good now!! I guess I will start by crawling, than on to walking and......... Thanks for your info!
I'm not clear on where to find these keys you speak about. I understand they are in the software. but where can I find them?

jon_armstrong wrote:
I like to use the phantom keys that are labeled Discrete On and Off for discrete power commands. I only use them in macros (which is the only way you can use phantom keys).
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom keys, shifted keys and discrete on and off "buttons" are found in IR and KM and RM. In IR they show up in the pull down list of bound keys under the key moves tab and in KM and RM in the Buttons Tab. They can be used in macros, but cant be used otherwise. It's always a good idea to assign EFC's to physical keys to test them and then it's very easy to move them to the phantoms.

Phantom keys are very useful. One of my typical examples is my Sony HD front projector. For bulb life considerations I don't want to have anyone accidentally turn the Projector On or Off. Using phantom power commands for the projector and no power toggle assigned to any key at all makes that less likely.
PGBELL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
Thanks for the the great advice, once again!!

Thanks Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: