JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Built USB Interface, worked 1st try.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Built USB Interface, worked 1st try. Reply with quote

Just wanted to drop a line to say "Thanks" to Tommy and everyone else who's made USB support possible. I'm sure most of the posts on this subject are "Help", so I thought I'd folks know it can also "all go right".

Got a new laptop this month, finally have the power to do all the JP1 stuff away from my desktop, but of course it doesn't have a parallel or serial port. Read Tommy's "HowTo", ordered the parts from Delcom and Mouser, and off I went. Worked the first time, and now I don't have to run up and down the stairs everytime I want to try something new in my Home Theater remote!

I built mine with a slight variation from Tommy's directions, instead of a hard-wired USB cable, I used a PCB-mount Female USB Type B jack. It all still fits in the small Hammond box just fine, but it was a cleaner way for me to do it since I have other devices in my "bag of tricks" that already use the Type-A to Type-B cable. It means I don't have to carry all the extra cable in my bag, and allows me the flexibility of any length USB cable I wish.

I didn't take pictures during the build, but if anyone wants to see pictures of this change, just let me know, I'll crack it open. I can probably also do a short writeup on the differences.

So, once again: Thanks everyone! My USB cable works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: