JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie question - learning remotes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tase2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Newbie question - learning remotes Reply with quote

Hi all

Being new at this concept, I guess I will start slow. I own a Home Theater Master MX-500. I was told I needed to get a learning remote that uses JP1 technology. I was wondering if someone could recommend a good learning remote at a fairly reasonable price.

Thanks for your help

Mark
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

URC-8810w, available for less than $20.00 at most Wal-Mart's.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
URC-8810w, available for less than $20.00 at most Wal-Mart's.
I have a URC-8810w and am very happy with it. This is an excellent buy at $20. This remote is actually the URC-8811 which sells for $30+ elsewhere.

You might find this thread useful. It is also about learning remotes and the MX-500.
JP1Files
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also highly recommend the 19.63 8010W wal-mart remote as well. 8 devices, learner, excellent JP-1 support, and JP-1 ready to go.

Jim
tase2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd also highly recommend the 19.63 8010W wal-mart remote as well. 8 devices, learner, excellent JP-1 support, and JP-1 ready to go

So you would recommend the 8010W over the URC-8811?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As hard as it is to believe, the 8810w and the 8811 ARE PHYSICALLY THE SAME REMOTE. IDENTICAL. NO DIFFERENCE IN THE GUTS OR THE CASE OR THE KEYS OR ANYTHING THAT MATTERS AT ALL.

There are two difference however.
1. The 8810w says "8810w" on it, whereas the "8811" says "8811" on it.
2. The 8810w (w means wal-mart) sells only at wal-mart. you can't buy it at any other store. It is priced at under $20. The 8811 sells everywhere, and is in the $30 range.

Ask why OFA did this Smile
JP1Files

Last edited by usblipitor on Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the SAME remote, only exclusively marketed by wal-mart. Internally, and even externally there is no difference between them. the only REAL difference is how much they are gonna rip you off for. Heck, save 5-10.00 on the remote, that'll pay for the cable kit.

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, typo, 8810W, NOT 8010W. 8810W=8811 only CHEAPER

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tase2 wrote:
So you would recommend the 8010W over the URC-8811?

I don't think there is a 8010W so james and I believe you meant to say 8810W
JP1Files
tase2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the URC-8810w is an excellent learning remote, and that the JP1 cable is not a necessity. Is that true? Does Wall Mart carry the cables if I need them?

Mark
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie question - learning remotes Reply with quote

tase2 wrote:
I own a Home Theater Master MX-500. I was told I needed to get a learning remote that uses JP1 technology.

That assumes you want to program the MX-500 with commands that aren't available on the original remotes for your devices.

tase2 wrote:
It is my understanding that the URC-8810w is an excellent learning remote, and that the JP1 cable is not a necessity. Is that true?

The 8810w is an excellent JP1 remote with learning. I wouldn't call it an excellent learning remote, because it has too little learning memory to use learning as the primary method of programming it. With a JP1 cable, you can learn signals in batches and decode them and reprogram them as keymoves or upgrades. Without a JP1 cable, you can use learning only for a limited number of commands and need built in setup codes and keymoves (from built in setup codes) for most programming.

Since you seem to want to use the 8810w to help program an MX-500, the learning capability of the 8810w is useless without a JP1 cable and only slightly useful with a JP1 cable. Without a JP1 cable, the cheaper, smaller, non learning version of the 8810w (the 6012w) is just as effective at programming an MX-500.

If all your devices are supported with built in setup codes and you can identify the right setup codes and discrete codes by searching or by research on the internet, then an 8810w or 6012w will do the job without a JP1 cable.

If any of your devices need upgrades then you'll need a JP1 cable and either an ordinary 8810w or a modified_for_JP1 6012w.

If any of your devices need a setup code that is hard to identify (doesn't match data for similar models available at remote central or in the JP1 forum) then you may need a learning JP1 remote plus JP1 cable to decode signals from the orriginal remote in order to identify the signals.

Walmart does not sell JP1 cables, nor modified_for_JP1 6012's. They just have good prices on 8810's and unmodified 6012's. No retail store has JP1 cables. Those are only available over the internet.
tase2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

OK thanks,

But it is my understanding that unless I have seperate "Power On" & "Power Off" buttons I need to have a learning remote so I can program discrete buttons on my MX-500.

So what do you suggest I buy for my best results? Or do I even need to buy anything?

I have been having a lot of difficulty with this whole remote programming concept. Everytime I think I've got it, I find myself confused again.

Thanks
Mark
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tase2 wrote:
So what do you suggest I buy for my best results? Or do I even need to buy anything?
Buy a OneForAll model 8810w from Wal-Mart for $19 (if you can afford an MX-500, $19 should not be prohibitively expensive), and order a JP1 cable (or make one youself if you are a real man Smile ) from one of the many vendors that sell it (they are listed in the market section of this board).

tase2 wrote:
I have been having a lot of difficulty with this whole remote programming concept. Everytime I think I've got it, I find myself confused again.
Mark
Before I started reading this forum, JP1 seemed like, um, trying to read a Japanese webpage about integrated circuits. Then, thanks to all the advanced users, gurus, and assorted experts here, I am getting the hang of this JP1 stuff. (thank you all very much!) I bet that with a JP1 cable, an 8810w remote, a quick read of the beginner's guide, and a little time downloading a few files from JP1 Files (mainly IR and KM), you will get the hang of it too. Then you will start buying one of every JP1able remote and going nuts programming them all with cool protocols and extenders and showing them off to all your friends who turn green with envy. And you can use that MX-500 as a very nice paperweight. Twisted Evil
JP1Files
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tase2 wrote:

But it is my understanding that unless I have seperate "Power On" & "Power Off" buttons I need to have a learning remote so I can program discrete buttons on my MX-500.

You do need another remote to program the discrete buttons into the MX-500, but you don't use learning on that other remote as part of the process.

An OFA remote uses a "setup code" (device type plus 4 digit number) to select a set of up to 256 related IR commands, and uses an EFC number (a 3 digit code) to select one of those 256 commands.

You normally find the setup code for your device and the EFC numbers for its discrete codes by searching the RemoteCentral and JP1 forums for files and/or threads about those devices.

If the right setup codes are built in, you can use an OFA remote without the JP1 cable. Otherwise you'll need a JP1 cable. Either way, learning on the JP1 remote is probably not involved.

What devices are you trying to program discrete codes for?
tase2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a JP1 forum, but the following is my first post on RemoteCentral.com:

Topic: Help requested from the pros

Thanks guys.

I guess I should start by giving you all my components information:

A/V receiver: Pioneer VSX-D711

TV: Panasonic PT-40LC12

DVD: Panasonic RP62

HD Digital Cable Box: Motorola DCT5100 with an AT&T 200C Remote

I don’t know if its fear of failure or I just can’t get the concept, but I’m apprehensive to even start.

It appears that using “Pre programmed Codes” is frowned upon. So I guess as a starting point I’ll try and explain some of the functions I would like to be able to perform.

First I’ll let you know that I only use the A/V Receiver for watching HDTV or DVD’s. Otherwise I use the TV speakers and volume control.

So I guess a good starting point is simply turning the TV on & off. I would love to incorporate the on & off as a solo function and make a 1 button function of turning the TV and the A/V receiver on in HDTV mode. (Which is set up in the Aux mode) Also the TV and cable box on in 1 step.

If possible turn the HDTV on – A/V receiver to Aux and TV to component 2 (pressing TV/Video button twice on the TV remote)

A very important function in our household is the Closed-Caption setting (pressing the center on the TV remote – which brings up the settings menu-then right arrow for the screen that contains the CC menu and then down arrow once and center button once for the correct CC setting and then the exit button 3 or 4 times to get completely out of settings menu).

Is all that possible as a 1-button function? If not, how can I get the desired CC result with the greatest of ease? Ex. How or what do I need to write or label and how and where do I write it so my wife can look at the MX-500 and see the CC and understand the steps needed to get there. (Of course if all that can be a 1-button function…)

I guess that should enough to get me started and hopefully learn the macro and labeling functions.

Thank you all so much for helping a lost soul.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: