JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OneForAll 8080 Locked Up When trying to Download

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dmax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: OneForAll 8080 Locked Up When trying to Download Reply with quote

I've got a AllForOne 8080B01 and fabricated a JP1 cable using a ribbon cable using the method described in the Yahoo user group (Tommy Tyler). The cable worked using the "check interface" but when I tried to download the current remote settings I got a error "unable to find debug file". I was using a IBM think pad and read that the voltage on the laptops parallel ports can be low causing a problem. I went to my dell desktop computer and the IR program will not recognize the remote. I noticed the Red led light stays on continuously even when disconnected. I've removed the batteries for a extended period and put them back in and the light remains lite. I think the remove is stuck in a download mode and will not recognize the request from the IR program. Can anyone tell me how to get this remote unlocked. Thanks for any help you can give.

Tim
regne v

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OneForAll 8080 Locked Up When trying to Download Reply with quote

Dmax wrote:
I think the remove is stuck in a download mode and will not recognize the request from the IR program. Can anyone tell me how to get this remote unlocked. Thanks for any help you can give.

I had just the same issue with my remote locked and not being able to upload, download or anything but pressing keys and the customer support at ofa helped me by telling me to execute the 981 command.

I had knew about the 980 "Master reset" command, but not about the 981... errr... "Master reset pro plus command?". This clears anything in the memory of your remote and even more... kind of "cold boot" plus "factory default" of the remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a full MFR RESET is more complicated on the Producer 8 remotes. Check the online manuals on my site to get the full procedure.
Dmax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: 8080 locked up Reply with quote

How do you execute the 981 command? I checked the on-line manual and it doesn't talk about this command. My unit does not have anything in the LCD window when punching any numbers. The only thing that comes on when I insert the batteries is the red light, which stays on continuously.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check to make sure you don't have a button stuck on the key pad.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 8080 locked up Reply with quote

Dmax wrote:
How do you execute the 981 command? I checked the on-line manual and it doesn't talk about this command. My unit does not have anything in the LCD window when punching any numbers. The only thing that comes on when I insert the batteries is the red light, which stays on continuously.

Read my previous post, then check the manual...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/manuals/p8/ofa-old.shtml?URC-8080#service-ul
Dmax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: 8080 lockup Reply with quote

OK, I've read (3) different manuals including on line and the original and none of them address a remote that is locked into a continuous mode of outputting a signal. I've exercised all of the buttons to make sure none are sticking. NOTHING appears in the LCD window therefore you can not get into any menu using the "Magic" key and can not do a complete reset of the unit.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these remotes are like remotes in general then the next step would probably be to disassemble the remote to clean the circuit board with isoproply alchohol just in case something got spilled on it. You might put it back together without the keypad for a test. A continuously outputting remote usually means a stuck key or bad CPU. Another test for this type of symptom would be to press another key ; usually the LED will go out when you do that ; two keys pressed simultaneously will usually stop the processor from outputting anything. If the output stays on regardless of which key is pressed then the CPU is not responding to any keyboard commands and has probably failed or the circuit board has cracked.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Steve's suggestions don't get you anywhere, I'm out of ideas without being able to see the remote myself. If it's worth the postage costs to you, I'd be willing to take a look at it, but there's no guarantee that I can fix it.
Dmax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Locked Remote Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Rob but I disassembled the unit and cleaned the board and it started to work. The only problem is I must have not gotten the LCD in correctly because a small area doesn't read properly. When you put pressure on that area with my finger it reads fine. I reset it to the factory setting. I've got a couple of keys that do not work so when I go back in to fix the LCD I'll apply the Locktite window defogger stuff to these keys. Once all of this is done I'll return to trying the JP1 download.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Locked Remote Reply with quote

Dmax wrote:
The only problem is I must have not gotten the LCD in correctly because a small area doesn't read properly. When you put pressure on that area with my finger it reads fine.

This just means that you didn't tighten the 4 screws that hold the LCD against the PCB tightly enough. If the holes that the screws are in have become warn and the screws will no longer tighten completely, replace them with very slightly larger screws.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little rubber strips are actually a series of tiny carbon rods that make contact between the board and LCD. If they are even a little crooked (or reversed) they won't make good contact. I would retry cleaning and alignment before applying any chemicals to the rubber.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: