JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Philips VR 570 Showview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netbuster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Philips VR 570 Showview Reply with quote

Hello
I have problems with the Showview function. My RS 15-2133 doesn't seem to be able to learn from anyone of my remotes, Philips TV & VCR, Marantz receiver.
I was told that there shouldn't be problems between US and European remotes but I have tried new batteries, the remotes closer or further apart etc. but nothing works so I have to use KM instead. The Marantz 7200 file in the Amp section and Philips 1556 for TV works perfectly.

Yesterday I tried to add Showview functionality to my VCR using 1081 and the biggest problem was that I couldn't get Left or Right to work. I also got a little screen (from the TV) asking for channels E1, E2 etc as if my VCR hadn't been used before (have I reset something?). I tried the codes in 0081 for Menu, Timer, Left, Right, Up, Down, Select and OK but it didn't really work, some worked and some didn't. For example Left and Right moved the picture Up and Down instead. Is there anyone that has set up Showview functionality on their Philips VCR?

Regards
Stefan
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can speak for most of the US based folks reading this in saying that we have no idea what "Showview" is and how it relates to the rest of the devices in your system.

Is "Showview" a physical device or some sort of software that can be loaded into a device?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I think I can speak for most of the US based folks reading this in saying that we have no idea what "Showview" is and how it relates to the rest of the devices in your system.

When I first read the basenote this morning I had no idea what showview was so I did not leave a response. "Better to say nothing and have people suspect I am an idiot than open my mouth and remove all doubt." Smile

Now that The Robman (exalted high priest of JP1) also knows not of this thing called showview, I don't feel so bad. In fact I feel so good that I spent about 5 minutes on google trying to figure out what showview was.

First of all this feature is only listed on European websites, which is why we who live in the US are ignorant of what it is. In the UK/European area, when a program is recorded on showview-enabled VCRs, other digital information can be recorded on the tape, including what channel it was recorded from, what the name of the show was, and I believe date, time, format, etc. When you press the "Showview" button it will flash this information on the screen for a few seconds.

This is the kind of feature you don't want on your VCR if you have a universal cable box btw; just more damning evidence Wink

Disclaimer: The information on "Showview" was culled from translated German webpages, so I cannot guarantee that anything I said is correct Smile

Additional Note: I used to have a VCR in the US that did the same thing, but it did not call the feature showview. I think it was called "show info" or "info."
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Philips VR 570 Showview Reply with quote

netbuster wrote:
My RS 15-2133 doesn't seem to be able to learn from any of my remotes
How far apart are they? How long are you holding the button down on the original remote? What does the 15-2133 respond with when it fails? What button are you trying to learn to? (am I missing any important questions?)

I could believe that perhaps one of your original remotes is unlearnable, but all of them being unlearnable would be unlikely. Assuming you are doing it correctly, maybe something is wrong with your 15-2133. How about buying another learning remote, which you will then return once you are done with it. The RS 15-2116 (or RS 15-2117) are good if RS has a good return policy in the UK. The least expensive is the wal-mart 8810w (less than $20) if they have wal-marts in the UK.
JP1Files
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that your learning problems are all a function of IR protocols that use a toggle bit. The OFA remotes all do toggle bits perfectly using a device upgrade or keymove, but learned conmmands won't work right. Philips and Marantz use RC6, RC5 and RC5x protocols (VCR_1081/0081 is also RC5)

The toggle bit is a bit that toggles from zero to one each time the button is pressed. The IR receiver expects to see the toggle bit change in order to recognize a succesive key of the SAME command.

So channel 111 will not work with a learned command since the receiver will think you just sent a single 1.

The good news is that IR (if you are using the latest version AND have DecodeIR.dll copied into your windows\system directory) will decode learned commands using all those protocols and then you can build a device upgrade (or use key moves to copy the commands to the keys where you want them) and it should work perfectly.

Last edited by jon_armstrong on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Philips VR 570 Showview Reply with quote

netbuster wrote:
My RS 15-2133 doesn't seem to be able to learn from anyone of my remotes, Philips TV & VCR, Marantz receiver.

That sounds like either your learning memory is full or you don't understand the correct sequence of steps needed to make the 15-2133 learn.
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
When you press the "Showview" button it will flash this information on the screen for a few seconds.

No, "ShowView" is a feature for simple recording a film or a show or so. The program guide does show a 5 to 8 digit number for every TV broadcast. All you have to do is program your VCR with this number via function "ShowView" and it will know, which broadcast you want to record. IIRC, it's similar to "Video+"

Uwe
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected! Embarassed

For further information on showview, vcrplus and videoplus, see here
JP1Files
netbuster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Many Thanks Reply with quote

Hello all,
thanks for all the replies sent. I have given up on getting my remote to learn from the old ones - the JP1 cable does such a good job and missing a few buttons after just one week of programing is allright by me. You need something to look forward to - getting it all in. uwereinert were explaining the ShowWiew perfectly, so I need to get that to work later on. And I would say that I haven't done anything wrong when trying to teach the RS 15-2133, new batteries, available memory, remotes closer or further apart (maybe it is broken?). To: usblipitor, I have tried several buttons and always gets one blink instead of the correct two and that goes for all my remotes.
Anyway I will keep on trying and keep you posted
All the best
Stefan
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how you've found a code that works most of the functions of your VCR, you could always try the old fashioned approach and try searching for the EFC that works the VCR+ function.

The easiest way to do that is to create a dummy upgrade that contains all the as yet unnassigned EFCs and then try all the buttons to see if any of them do anything.
netbuster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea, I'll try that tonight - thanks!
By the way, any idea why I can't get the Menu function to work on my Marantz amp? I am using a file from the JP1 group at Yahoo which is called Marantz 7200 but looks very much like my 4200. Is there also something one needs to know about the arrow buttons they doesn't really work in either VCR or AMP mode.
Regards
Stefan
uwereinert
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try changing the device code for menu on, menu off and the arrow buttons from 16 to 17. This could do the trick.

Uwe
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: