JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RF link performance for 9910/9912

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: RF link performance for 9910/9912 Reply with quote

I'm planning on buying an URC 9910/9912, mainly because it's the only JP1 remote with built-in RF link. I like the JP1 capability to let me program the remote in the way I like, not the way manufacturer like. And I need RF link to use my remote from the bedroom on 2nd floor to control my cable, dvd, cd and receiver in the living room on main floor. As I never used any RF link, I'm not sure about it performance. I read these forums and apparently quite a few users have the same 9910/9912 remotes. Could you tell me by your experience, if it's works as documented? Does it work fine from 2nd floor to control equipment in 1st floor?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The performance very much depends on the location where the remote will be used, so each persons report will be different. Just FYI, this isn't the only JP1 remote with an RF extender, there's also the 15-2117 and in the archives there's the URC-9800, URC-8090, 15-1925, 15-1919, 15-1935, etc, etc,
JohnM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman, thanks for the response.
I'd using it in the bedroom on 2nd floor and the equipments are in living room 1st floor. The distance between the two is around 25-30 meters (if measured through the ceiling).
I'm from Canada and RadioShack Canada does not carry 15-2117 model. But as I can see, you are also selling 15-2117 and do also ship to Canada. The only difference I can find between 15-2117 and URC9110 is backlight and LCD. I don't really need either. As far as RF performance is concered, do they both have same results?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an RF point of view, they are the same (and both remotes have backlight and an LCD screen, so I'm not sure where you're getting your info on the 9910). The main difference between the 2 remotes is most people prefer the look and feel of the 15-2117 compared to the URC-9910, but the 9910 does have more buttons.

Also, by "location" I wasn't primarily referring to the distance between the remote and the base unit as much as how much RF interference is in the area. Also, how many metal objects would the RF signal have to pass through. For example, it doesn't work that well from my bedroom to the living room because the signal would have to pass through some closet doors that have mirrors on them (and mirrors contain metal particals).
JohnM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad about LCD and backlight. Its just that today I read about so many remotes, got kinda out of sync.
From the bedroom to living room, RF won't need to go through any metal or mirror. It'd just be drywall and ceiling. So I guess, I shouldn't have any problem there.
About RF interferance, do you know what frequencies 15-2117 and 9910 work on? My cordless ph is 2.4GHz and do also have a baby monitor which I think works around 500MHz. That's all I can think of which will generate any noticable amount of RF.
Do both 15-2116 and 15-2117 look and feel the same? If yes, I can check 15-2116 at local RadioShack to compare it with 9910. And if I like it, I can order one from you.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnM wrote:
About RF interferance, do you know what frequencies 15-2117 and 9910 work on?
430 MHz. However, just because you don't have any other devices working on that frequency doesn't mean there won't be interference from other sources.
JohnM wrote:
Do both 15-2116 and 15-2117 look and feel the same?
Yes, from the outside they are identical.
JohnM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my best bet would be to buy 9910 from some store with good return policy like bestbuy and try it. If it doesn't work, return back.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: